Notices

Flying Cat

Old 10-10-2002, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Cat

I drove a cat for the first time yesterday. I have always liked the way they look and the performance comparison to a V hull with the same power is amazing. BUT in a 4' chop, that I thought wasn't that bad, the 7500 lb boat wanted to fly. In fact it did at 55 mph it become a flying cat. What was nice is it came out flat a reentered the water flat. And turning at that speed was not going to happen without a half mile radius. I think with a few hours of seat time, I would be able to work out how to best handle it in 4' water but 6' wouldn't happen. I know I'm going to hear some I told you so's, but I had to take a look. I'm sticking with the V hull. Maybe a 36' cat will work on Lake Michigan but a 31' won't. At least not for me.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:30 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Not all cats are the same.......what make?...power?

FYI......the Cat -Vee controversy was settled on the race course 18 years ago........ (Good)Cats beat Vees of equal length and power in all seas that are legal for racing (up to small craft warnings). ..... a simple look at the Factory 2 boats vs the identically powered Super cat lights confirms this.

Cats:
are faster
turn better(at the same speed)
handle chop better
etc.

Cat's do not have equivalent cabin space....and as I have repeated consistently....do not offer a symbolic "extension" for the owner's male ego.

T2x
Old 10-10-2002, 01:34 PM
Uncle Toys

Don't sugar coat it Rich, tell us how you really feel

Old 10-10-2002, 01:45 PM
Registered

Rich is ABSOLUTELY correct. As with Vee's, the manufacturer of the boat has much to do with performance and handling as anything else. Just as all Vee's do not handle equally, neither do all cats. I am not going to pick on manufacturer's specifically, but I am sure if you went for a ride in a few different manufacturer's cats you would have a different opinion. The same goes for vee's.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would hazzard to guess that you were trimming it to high.The most common mistake V hull drivers make when I let them drive my cat is over trimming it big time.As mfor rough water running,I can consistently run away from most v's longer than me in 4 footers.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:05 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Airpacker
I would hazzard to guess that you were trimming it to high.The most common mistake V hull drivers make when I let them drive my cat is over trimming it big time.As mfor rough water running,I can consistently run away from most v's longer than me in 4 footers.
EXACTLY correct on all points Airpacker!
Old 10-10-2002, 02:23 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What??? What did I say???????

Who me??????

At least he didn't credit steps on his vee for helping him span the waves better.................

T2x
Old 10-10-2002, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T2x....hahahaha,steps,hahahaha...You funny

P.S. I like your new avatar.My dad had one when I was but a youngen.Ran like a scalded cat until it sunk(with the boat attached in 220 feet of water)
Old 10-10-2002, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Steps ?Everybody needs steps ! How else you gonna get in the boat on the trailer !!

Actualy I have 2 steps on my old 39' express cat . I think I might put duck over them and see how it runs !!
Old 10-10-2002, 04:55 PM
Registered

7500# 31' boat, at least we know it's NOT a Skater.

Quick Reply: Flying Cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.