Why The Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Still Matters >

Why The Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Still Matters

Notices

Why The Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Still Matters

Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be leaving Vegas tomorrow for our first trip to LOTO (Bucket List). Arrive on Sat.afternoon. Hope for good weather and spend alot of time on the water. Looks like alot to see and do in 7days.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember the high speed runs are best saved for the shootout. Everyone be safe and bring back great memories.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:13 AM
ben
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
OK, can't do it this year but would like to do it in 2018. Where to stay that is on the water, has docking and is reasonable close to the action? What can I expect for room and dock rates? How many days should I plan on booking? Lastly, any idea on the 2018 dates?

Thanks,
Padraig
Anywhere between the 6-28is MM should give you plenty of action all week.
I have a house rented across from PBC from wed-sun with a two well dock for $800 including taxes and cleaning.
Stay as long as you can.
It is always the weekend before Labor Day.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

What and where is PBC?

Thanks,

Padraig
Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

What and where is PBC?

Thanks,

Padraig
Not far from Osage beach area. It just down the lake form Dog Days.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

What and where is PBC?

Thanks,

Padraig
Performance Boat Center/Redhead Yacht Club Performance Boat Center | Osage Beach, MO | Missouri's Premier Marine Dealership | Featuring New & Pre-Owned Boats, Parts, Service, Financing, Storage, Transport, & Paint Shop
Old 08-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

CashBar - Evidently, Hopkinsville, KY is the best place to see the eclipse (for the longest period of time). Local news outlets are claiming we should be expecting a couple hundred thousand to 500,000 people in the area. Not sure how accurate that is, but....

That means $hit-ton more idiot drivers on the road - probably car loads gawking and not paying attention. My point is - be careful in the Western Kentucky portion of your trip.

Additionally, I'm not sure what route you guys from the south are taking - BUT, Highway 41 North (and South) through the Henderson, KY / Evansville, IN area is under significant construction. One of the worst situations for hauling a boat is the bridges over the Ohio River. We have a northbound and southbound bridge (both 2 lane) over the Ohio River. Those bridges now have restrictions to overwidth vehicles (there is a detour, however I've not traveled it). Northbound bridge is now 2 lanes north, 1 lane south (3 lanes!). Southbound bridge is now 1 lane south (semis required to use southbound bridge for travel to south). This info may be overkill, but if your route takes you through Henderson/Evansville - you need to be aware. It's tight with just an SUV.

On another note, we will be on Kentucky Lake / Lake Barkley Saturday and Sunday - if you want to pull about 45 minutes off your route to splash the boat, let me know!

Terry

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Leaving Ft Lauderdale before sunrise on Sunday. Plan to get to Tennessee by Sunday even and then roll through the eclipse to LOTO on Monday. I think this is the best boating week of the year as you can tell by the 2800 mile trip. Really looking forward to running the Skater all over for nearly a week.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
CashBar - Evidently, Hopkinsville, KY is the best place to see the eclipse (for the longest period of time). Local news outlets are claiming we should be expecting a couple hundred thousand to 500,000 people in the area. Not sure how accurate that is, but....

That means $hit-ton more idiot drivers on the road - probably car loads gawking and not paying attention. My point is - be careful in the Western Kentucky portion of your trip.

Additionally, I'm not sure what route you guys from the south are taking - BUT, Highway 41 North (and South) through the Henderson, KY / Evansville, IN area is under significant construction. One of the worst situations for hauling a boat is the bridges over the Ohio River. We have a northbound and southbound bridge (both 2 lane) over the Ohio River. Those bridges now have restrictions to overwidth vehicles (there is a detour, however I've not traveled it). Northbound bridge is now 2 lanes north, 1 lane south (3 lanes!). Southbound bridge is now 1 lane south (semis required to use southbound bridge for travel to south). This info may be overkill, but if your route takes you through Henderson/Evansville - you need to be aware. It's tight with just an SUV.

On another note, we will be on Kentucky Lake / Lake Barkley Saturday and Sunday - if you want to pull about 45 minutes off your route to splash the boat, let me know!

Terry
Thanks for the heads-up. The plan is to get to the Pilot/FlyingJ in Paducah by 12-1230 as they say the longest duration will start about 120pm. I'll just park and get a sandwich and wait there until the sun comes out again since the full black only lasts about 2-1/2 mins.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write up Matt, im was happy to read it. What does bother me is that something like this had to be written I'm the first place, because there are people out there that feel like it doesn't matter, which is crazy! If your ONLY interest is a number a boat puts up, then you might as well just watch it on TV. The shootout week is about SOOOOOO MUCH more... The charities, street parties, poker runs, the excitement off running in crazy water, the bars and restaurants, the cool boats, the raft ups, the comradery, i can go on and on. We may not see as crazy numbers, but the excitement is still there 100%, not to mention only a handful of boats needed the whole mile anyway. 80% of them are already topped out just trying to hold it together and avoid a crash, so if this is going to aid in saving lives, im all for it. These crashes are not fun to see. NHRA had to do it, and as much as it sucks, it was for good reason. We'll be seeing boats accelerate harder then ever before, i think it will be great. This is the best week of the year for me and thousands of others, and ill never stop going! Cheers!! ��
Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgearhead454
Excellent write up Matt, im was happy to read it. What does bother me is that something like this had to be written I'm the first place, because there are people out there that feel like it doesn't matter, which is crazy! If your ONLY interest is a number a boat puts up, then you might as well just watch it on TV. The shootout week is about SOOOOOO MUCH more... The charities, street parties, poker runs, the excitement off running in crazy water, the bars and restaurants, the cool boats, the raft ups, the comradery, i can go on and on. We may not see as crazy numbers, but the excitement is still there 100%, not to mention only a handful of boats needed the whole mile anyway. 80% of them are already topped out just trying to hold it together and avoid a crash, so if this is going to aid in saving lives, im all for it. These crashes are not fun to see. NHRA had to do it, and as much as it sucks, it was for good reason. We'll be seeing boats accelerate harder then ever before, i think it will be great. This is the best week of the year for me and thousands of others, and ill never stop going! Cheers!! ��
Thanks for the kind words—I'm pleased and flattered you enjoyed this commentary. I don't know that the piece "had to be written," I'm just excited about the shootout and all that goes with it. My goal was to entertain—in commentary as opposed to straight reporting you get that kind of leeway—and share that enthusiasm and provide one admittedly biased (you get to do that in commentary, too) perspective. Truth be told, I had fun writing it.

See you at the shootout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.