Blown Out Windshield - 353 Fastech >

Blown Out Windshield - 353 Fastech

Notices

Blown Out Windshield - 353 Fastech

Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Blown Out Windshield - 353 Fastech

As many of you know, we had our windshield blow out during the Ray Nuchereno Poker Run in Buffalo this past weekend. We were running 30 mph in 6' or so seas and had one come over the bow. The windshield exploded, sending two of us to the hospital for stitches. All are ok now. I think the frame may have flexed inward, causing the glass to shatter in our faces.

I need a solution -

My question is what suggestions do you have to prevent this from happening again? Does anyone have a picture of a Fastech without a windshield? How do you minimize wind? Is there a cut down version available or plexiglass version available? I could tint it, which would at minimum reduce the flying glass, but I think I need a better solution than that.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

What about aero-tech window not made of glass?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Look into ballistic film with any glazer in your area. Its frequently used in commercial applications.

Last edited by offshore312; 08-15-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the chances of that happening again are slim. I think going for a stock replacement and doing a coating from 3m would be a safe bet. They make a optically clear protective film that protects you on impact. It just holds all the little pieces together. I met you on the lake and your the one that told me about the sun shade you had. How all is well and a speedy recovery for all of you.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

certainly not the windshield's fault! If you plan on regularly taking ~1000 lbs. of effective impact on your windscreen, I'd have to say glass just isn't for you!

if you replace it with glass, definitely film it, and yes, even tint will greatly minimize what you experienced.
Formula destroyed the fairing mold long ago. I've said more than once if they re-tooled one, they could sell quite a few! Just for aesthetics!
The fairing looked incredible on the 353!
Old 08-15-2017, 05:54 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Dan / Team Archer made a fairing for a Formula he had in the shop. I don't know any of the details though, I think it might have been pretty involved in his case. I'd ask him about it.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were at the run, but didn't see the accident. Glad to hear you are all doing OK now. Speedy recovery!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be looking at tinting or the film route. I don't think a different windshield/fairing set up is the solution.
Think about it. What are the odds of that exact scenario happening again? The lake was ROUGH.

Unless you plan on regularly running in water like we had - and I don't think you do - the windshield with tint or film should be sufficient. I just think a lot of things happened just the right way, and thats why it broke like it did.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you guys are doing well, that was a scary hour or so not knowing how you guys were. If it was up to me I would try to get some sort of a fiberglass fairing made up. The acrylic is also very sharp when it breaks and has cut others when it has broken. Plus the fairing looks really cool and makes going to the bow a little bit less effort. Seems Lake Erie has been mean the last 5 or 6 runs (other then mentor) that Tony has put on.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:49 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3M makes a film product that they marketed in London, UK to minimise flying glass injuries. I believe it was called scotchshield.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.