Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hurricane Irma vs. Florida

Not looking very promising here.
Attached Thumbnails Hurricane Irma vs. Florida-irma-500.jpg  
Old 09-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I saw one map that has it hooking around the back side of Florida and hitting around Sarasota, Our condo is NOT happy with that scenario
Old 09-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah she's looking like a real b!tch right now. Let's all hope for a hard turn to the north sooner rather than later.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

My place on Cudjoe Key looks like it may get hit hard. I'll hope for the best and go down after it hits.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got the shutters up on our place in Miami, won't matter much if its a Cat 4/5. Food/supplies are ready to go, boat is going into OSO mbr ToMorrow's hurricane rated shop first thing in the AM (big thank you to Tom). All we can do now is wait & see. Hoping for that sharp turn to the north before FL.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After Harvey, I've had about enough hurricanes this year...
Old 09-05-2017, 04:45 AM
Registered

I am hoping for the best too. My dad just moved into a new house in Naples, not looking good for Naples. We are flying him out Thursday night. The shutters look pretty easy to put up, I just hope he gets them up. Best I can describe them is corrugated pieces of tin (I think they are actually galvanized) that use tabs that screw in to hold them in place.

The other thing that he is worried about is his flood insurance 30 day waiting period falls exactly on this coming Sunday. The base of his house is 14ft above sea level so I am thinking it should be ok but we will see.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Harvey's devastation put S. Florida in panic mode. Saturday, local Home Depot was sold out of water, D batteries, gas cans and anything remotely related to hurricane preparation (shutter bolts, wingnuts). Costco was out of water on Sunday and closed for the holiday Monday.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Questofpower
I am hoping for the best too. My dad just moved into a new house in Naples, not looking good for Naples. We are flying him out Thursday night. The shutters look pretty easy to put up, I just hope he gets them up. Best I can describe them is corrugated pieces of tin (I think they are actually galvanized) that use tabs that screw in to hold them in place.

The other thing that he is worried about is his flood insurance 30 day waiting period falls exactly on this coming Sunday. The base of his house is 14ft above sea level so I am thinking it should be ok but we will see.
Shutters aren't terrible but time consuming and you just hope they are all there and he has a "map" of what number shutter goes on what window along with the nut/bolt hardware that goes with them. On a new home it should all be in the garage. On a used home it could be anywhere based on who put the stuff away last! 2 story houses suck for those panel shutters. 30 years ago they were aluminum panels, not terrible and somewhat light. Today they are corrugated steel and significantly heavier. Day labor is usually ideal for this but be around to supervise as sometimes those guys aren't the best decision makers!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Shutters aren't terrible but time consuming and you just hope they are all there and he has a "map" of what number shutter goes on what window along with the nut/bolt hardware that goes with them. On a new home it should all be in the garage. On a used home it could be anywhere based on who put the stuff away last! 2 story houses suck for those panel shutters. 30 years ago they were aluminum panels, not terrible and somewhat light. Today they are corrugated steel and significantly heavier. Day labor is usually ideal for this but be around to supervise as sometimes those guys aren't the best decision makers!
Yea they are brand new with a nice map and numbered. So I am thinking pretty easy, but sometimes easy tasks can be a little overwhelming for him. I will have him find some day laborers....seems like a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.