Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
found this: 38 cougar with 2 sets of motors etc.. >

found this: 38 cougar with 2 sets of motors etc..

Notices

found this: 38 cougar with 2 sets of motors etc..

Old 10-17-2002, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buyer beware

make sure you are dealing with a reputable seller
Old 10-17-2002, 08:00 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Boatless:

It's T2x not tx2....and..I love Arnesons on turbine powered Skaters when they are fixed and not steerable.........

They have no up trim, unless you consider raising the prop out of the water "Trimming".

That boat was not designed for Arnesons......It started life with Mercruisers.....and most of the aluminum Cougars ran M/C's as well.

There is, in some cases, extra speed to be had with surface drives due to less parasitic loss in the driveline NOT the hydrodynamic design. The problem is that when they are steerable the race boats I've watched for literally hundreds of hours from above "wandered" all over the place...(lack of directional predictability). At the old racing speeds of 80-100 mph this was not a lethal issue...at 150 mph it is....hence the "fixed applications you see today.

They do handle horsepower better and require less maintenance than a Mercruiser...........................regardless, I wouldn't own a pair of steerable ones on a bet...............but I don't like Pistachio Ice Cream either.

So good luck to the buyer of this wobbly old bird.

T2x
Old 10-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

So, all turbine powerd Skaters have fixed Arnesons? And only turbine powered with Arnesons are good.

So you have driving experience in a boat with Arnesons, gas or turbine powered, fixed or steerabe correct?

What surface Drive has positive trim? Even a SSM#6 when mounted with the X dimension 3" above the bottom has no positive trim correct?

I find it hard to belive that all boats with Arnesons "wander" all over the place as you put it, as the yachts seem to be stable and have no problems. Same for the Catamaran's.

I can see that a rudder when placed farther rearward on a boat can have a better mechaical steering advantage than a steering rudder place farther forward, but only at speeds that make the rudder work. But how does the rudder keep the boat from "wandering"?
Old 10-17-2002, 01:17 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Boatless:

"So, all turbine powerd Skaters have fixed Arnesons? And only turbine powered with Arnesons are good."

So......You can't read....never said all Skaters with turbines have fixed Arnesons...........you did.

"So you have driving experience in a boat with Arnesons, gas or turbine powered, fixed or steerabe correct?"

So............As a matter of fact I have.........but I'm too old for that now.

"What surface Drive has positive trim? Even a SSM#6 when mounted with the X dimension 3" above the bottom has no positive trim correct?"

So.......... SSM's change the angle (and rake) of the prop when trimmed. Arneson's merely raise the prop.

"I find it hard to belive that all boats with Arnesons "wander" all over the place as you put it, as the yachts seem to be stable and have no problems. Same for the Catamaran's"

So............I suppose you do......."find it hard to belive"....or at least understand......... I was referring to race boats.......on yachts they only make docking difficult.........by the way...you have a small spelling problem as well.

"I can see that a rudder when placed farther rearward on a boat can have a better mechaical steering advantage than a steering rudder place farther forward, but only at speeds that make the rudder work. But how does the rudder keep the boat from "wandering"?"

So.....The wandering is in the drives, as they move back and forth( kind of like an old Pontiac front end), can't give you all the reasons why(originally it was in the hydraulic tie bar.....but after that was corrected the "wanders" remained).........but they do. Rudders are fixed and with fixed drives there is no impetus for "wandering".

So..........long

T2x
Old 10-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

hehe . . you tell 'em Tx2 . . .i mean T2x . . .
Old 10-17-2002, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Tx2, please step out of the 80’s and into the new millennium. What ever happened in the 80’s is more ancient than I am and doesn’t apply to the progress nor advancements made over the part 20 years both in terms of boats and hydraulic steering. You need to re-familiarize yourself with boating, something other than a secondhand outboard 28’ Skater in order to make yourself more objective and less cynical.

Question still has not been answered, have you yourself or other alter egos driven a new modern Skater or other catamaran boat with steerable or fixed Arnesons? If so, which one?

Me either, but I have seen a few skaters with Arneson drives that are steerable and the people never complain of the issues that you continuously hold so dearly to.

“Jet Set” out of New Jersey seems to be an anomaly to you, “Sorcerer” to name another. While watching a Speedvision race, I never noticed the “Honker Cut” boat wandering around in the races like an old Pontiac, bet they had a rudder though hugh? Speedvision even aired footage of the boat that started this thread. Running well by all definitions and it did not appear to be plagued by the problems you have brought up. ????

Be a man and just admit you are a Mercury guy to the bone, its nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Boatless is also dickless.

Honker Cut was the worst running Skater in history.

Wonder why?

Did you see the great video of their deadly stuff?

Name ONE Anrneson boat that was ever competitive for more than a short drag-race.

Last edited by ApachePete; 10-17-2002 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ApachePete: arnesons were the strongest and fastest hi-perf drives till I read your reply.I am confused....

I dont know how honker cut run but lets say ''Honker Cut was the worst running Skater in history. ''are you sure the reason was drives?

do you have any other bad running cat example with arneson drives?
Old 10-18-2002, 07:00 AM
DanL

hey, Catmando, the listing of that boat is probably bogus. The engines up on the racks are missing the heads. The listing entity has probably never been within 500 miles of the boat.

Quick Reply: found this: 38 cougar with 2 sets of motors etc..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.