Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain vs Outer L racing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/350149-fountain-vs-outer-l-racing.html)

JaayTeee 10-05-2017 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by TYPHOON (Post 4586451)
I understand making the call and missing the setup but how many times has the OL won against the Fountain in any kind of water. Have they ever? I have been going to Key West for many years rooting for the OL teams with what I was told was a top secret new set up. I have only seen the 2 Fountains battling for first. I have been getting my butt kicked by Fountain for years personally so I have no love for them either. How do you measure eff. of a hull? Is it HP and weight vs MPH fully dialed in for max speed?

O/L won in Michigan City this year.....Instigator broke on lap 10

hustlerguy 10-05-2017 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by precisiondetails (Post 4586427)
By reading your posts on this topic here and in other forum topics. It’s clear you are pretty biased. On the other thread you stated the Fountain was slower and it was fully dialed in as a pleasure boat. Talking about the 42 with 1350s Ben did. But of course now the 10 year old boat is still beating up on your newer boat, and isn’t dialed in. I mean whatever excuse and story that helps you sleep at night. I understand your bias towards a brand you clearly love and are loyal too. But don’t immediately jump to saying- oh it’s a race boat not a production boat. They were both built out of their respective factories. It’s been going on for decades- OLs 2nd to none on style fit and finish and quality. But start trying to swallow the pill that when it comes to performance and competition the score is very lopsided. And the brand that hasn’t been built for years CONTINUES TO BE THE BOAT TO BEAT. Think about that for a moment. And that is exactly the point Typhoon is trying to make. Nothing more nothing less.

precision: I am only taking the time to type the facts since you feel the need to attack me as if I'm being unfair or not stating the facts!

I am a OL repeat Customer and happy with that. (this next sentence is opinion based.) I think OL's are extremely well put together, thought out in where things should go, fit and finish, looks, top speed, acceleration and handling are all on top of what is out there for Pleasure boats.
Now to answer back some of your questions/statements with facts...

#1 to start, I posted the facts on another thread. The 42 lightning I spoke of Ben worked on the re rig and set up. After the setup it ran 140 MPH. That is a fact not a opinion.
Several new 43 OL V's with the same power 1350 and drives #8 have run 150-152 mph depending on the layup and misc. The latest is a Orange 2016 for sale in classifieds right now and it ran 151 mph. That is a fact not a opinion.
There is a few year old 44 repowered with merc 1100's and it runs approx 137 maybe even 138 as a full stand up pleasure boat with again merc 1100's. That is a fact not a opinion.
There is a couple of standup full cabin 41' stock 700 boats that ran 116 or 117 mph from the factory. That also is a fact not a opinion
If your beloved fountain is so fast bring it out and show the world! I have not seen one win a straight line shootout event lately with a newer sl or sv of same boat size and same motor size.
Out in the poker run world when the OL SV's and SL's are out there I have not seen any of the fountains passing them or beating them to the card stops, how come? Rough or Calm it hasnt mattered.
I'm sorry, for some reason you take offense to the facts. But they are what they are. If the fountain boats were faster same power same size, the facts would show that.

#2 Do you honestly believe the fountain Instigator or any race boat has not been being changed and updated after each and every race to make it faster? So your thoughts are they built the boat 12 years ago did some maintenance between now and then and it was just as fast then as it is now? If that is what you believe then your off your rocker. There is no doubt that Instigator is a great running boat! They have a great setup, they know the boat well and what the boat likes and does not like. That comes with time. The technology you keep speaking of? What technology is that, that the Instigator boat has not or could not incorporate into there boat? They can have every piece of technology that any race boat can have. They cut the bottoms off race boats to move things around if they think it will give them a edge of any sort. People go broke racing boats (or anything for that matter) because of this.
Instigator originally may have been made 12 years ago but its been continually updated and the crew and drivers are masters of setting that boat up and running it.
Both boats were made at a factory of course. Both boats have been taken apart and redone, one just for the past 12 years and one for 11 months now.
There is no doubt the instigator boat and team makes its way around the track extremely well. The OL boat is making gains, apparently its not there yet on a every day basis. The OL team also is not just going race to race doing nothing, they are changing things between races to make the boat faster on the race course.
None of these boats are boats you would take from the race track and go drive around for fun all day and handle like your pleasure boat.

#3 Swallow a pill that performance and score is lopsided... Hmmm
Well once again I will tell the truth and the facts.
Straight line or poker run speeds in PRODUCTION boats. The facts speak for themselves. take a 700 boat, take a 1100 boat, take a 1350 boat in the same or similar size. OL dominates every single one of them. Precision, if you need examples look them up. The facts are the facts.
Superboat course in RACE boats. Those facts also speak for themselves lately. The Instigator Fountain boat has been on top most of the time. They have there program together and boat tuned in well. (See I dont need to give no excuses here precision)

Hopefully as you can see, I may like and enjoy my OL boats and hope they do well at a race. But I also tell the truth and tell the facts, win loose or draw. I dont really need any excuses so I sleep well at night because I tell the truth and facts. I Dont need to call people out like yourself. I dont stalk peoples past posts. But since you have hopefully you now can understand me and the facts a little more.
On the other hand I know nothing about you, not even going to take 30 sec to read some of your past post, but from this post attacking me, It sure seams like your the one who is either in Love with Fountain boats and struggles with anyone not in agree ance with your opinions.

hustlerguy 10-05-2017 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by TYPHOON (Post 4586451)
I understand making the call and missing the setup but how many times has the OL won against the Fountain in any kind of water. Have they ever? I have been going to Key West for many years rooting for the OL teams with what I was told was a top secret new set up. I have only seen the 2 Fountains battling for first. I have been getting my butt kicked by Fountain for years personally so I have no love for them either. How do you measure eff. of a hull? Is it HP and weight vs MPH fully dialed in for max speed?

There is a 29 OL single that won a whole lot of races.
In superboat racing my opinion is there is a whole lot of things that come into play in order to win, and it has to have the right amount of everything, a great balance, to much of one thing not enough of another and no dice.
The boat has to accelerate hard
The boat has to corner hard and be able to carry speed
The boat needs to be able to have good top speed
The boat needs to have that speed in the water conditions that are present. To bouncy in rough conditions prop and boat out of water is no good. To planted in flat water will be slow
The drivers need to work together and feel comfortable with the boat
alot of things come into play I believe on racing.

precisiondetails 10-06-2017 12:15 AM

Hustlerguy-

LOL oh please get over yourself. Stalk you? Haha no just observant in these Fountain vs OL threads! Not sure I have the energy to reply to the novel you wrote, but to sum it up yes I’m a Fountain Guy, I don’t struggle with anything. Clearly you continue to miss the point. Gee sorry there haven’t been new Fountains being built to compare more to Your comparing million dollar carbon layup sit down boats to older Fountain models. Cool for u bro! (Lol Joke) Now for you PR compairasons- lol cute again! Comparing pleasure boating done in PRs wouldn’t be the most competitive atmosphere.

Now one in my 1st message I wouldn’t consider that an attack. Sorry you took it that way.

You wanted to state facts- yes ones that are already well known!

Back to the original reason of the thread- 12 year old FountIn, sure it’s been worked on but... 12 year old Fountain get it?!!

Lastly my lopsided comment- you really gonna tell me in head to head completion on a RACE course (gee where everyone knows it’s a race) it’s not a one sided ass whooping for over 2 decades in favor of the beak.

PS- I don’t know you either, nothing personal. This is boat trash talk just like sports team trash talk. If we were in person at a bar I’d buy 1st round. And did you ever get the PM I sent you months ago about the detailing product? BTW- I did compliment you on your boats. And let me be clear- OLs are bad ass. But I enjoy the jabbing and competition side.

klaatutooyou 10-06-2017 07:05 AM

the 29 ol got caught cheating many times.
the dominatating fountain in that class got caught cheating as well.both owned by same person.
so not good comparison

Wildman_grafix 10-06-2017 09:45 AM

Is the OL a carbon layup?

30ftpanther 10-06-2017 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 4586513)
Is the OL a carbon layup?

Outerlimits Powerboats: Construction & Design.

TxHawk 10-06-2017 10:21 AM

I don't even know why I am getting into this... ha

How long did it take for the Jimmy John's Skater to be competitive? Honest question from someone who pays limited attention to the races.

There are several threads about OL being very satisfied with new pleasure boat sea trial speeds.

The 12 yr. old Fountain is a cool story, but I think the real takeaway here is some people know how to setup race boats and some know how to setup top speed.

badmonkey 10-06-2017 10:55 AM

:popcorn:

F1-00 Racing 10-06-2017 12:50 PM

Disclaimer: This is what I have been told by several sources, as within anything dealing with Offshore racing or performance boating in general, "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see"

The direct answer to Typhoons question is the pad design. I was informed for years that Mike refused to utilize a true pad as "if I wanted a padded bottom I would buy a Fountain" It wasnt till a born and bred Fountain guy went over to the OL camp and played with the pad and the result was the Vee record and whatever record the 29 obtained that day(not a legal motor for any spec class) that actually took place in the Pamlico right behind the Fountain factory.

Also I was told that back in the day of the "Fountain Factory Race Team" that it had a budget of approx 4 million a year(please refer to disclaimer above) and as Typhoon can first hand attest, Offshore racing consists mainly on "time and money". I can first hand attest that back in 2002, Reggie threw everything but the kitchen sink at my little baby 29 F1 Fever in order to obtain the kilo record. I know OL has not and would never sink that kind of whad into a "race program"

Hustlerguy, you have an impressive stable, OL's are incredible boats, but unfortunately with the long legacy of cheating, I can only accept 1 true victory for the OL 29 and that was Race 2 of the KW Worlds 2016, this was after getting caught in Race 1 and impressively having all the legal parts sitting on the trailer to work double time in order to take the green on Friday. I am pretty sure for once(which is a miracle) Typhoon will agree the driver/throttleman(1 person) of the 29 OL is a really talented gentleman, we both would just hope and pray that for once he would come out for once totally legal(as Klaatu reminded us, he cheated, got caught, in both the Fountain and the OL) so we can all see how the boat is compared to the rest of the manufacturers...As far as the question of the thread, we all know beyond a doubt the talent that is in the OL SV Extreme vs/compared to Instigator having a rookie driver and a revolving throttle seat, hopefully the changes made to the OL boat, setup will provide great racing for all to see in KW this year. if no changes are made, Instigator by a mile for their what? 14th, 15th World title