Notices

Sort of OT, Truck questions

Old 10-17-2002, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sort of OT, Truck questions

Few off the beaten path truck questions

First
you guys tow your boats in 4WD high gear or 2 WD?
( I tow in 2wd but man my truck is hurtin in 2wd but at ramp pulling her out 4WD Low!!! Marches her out like no tomorrow)

Second, Does the Dually make that much of a difference in cornering keeping your rig from swaying and more stable?
(as you can guess I have single rear axle in my F350)

What makes you think you need a dually over a regular rear'ed truck? More tow weight capacity or more stability or both?

and the 99+ ford F350 PSD 4x4 dually guys, what is your rigs tow capacity ?

Whats your mileage NOT towing around town ?

Jason
Old 10-17-2002, 08:10 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Lets see,,,I tow in 2wd, I have a limited slip rear end and have nevr had a problem.

Dont ownadually,, cant help ya there !!!!!

1999 Silverado 2500 6.0 L 10,000

I get about 10 MPH gallon running around town, and 15 MPH highway all non towing.

Towing I still get 12 MPH on the highway.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Registered

dually is the only way to go if you tow'n and distance! the stability is night and day!...for every day use a dually is a pain in the ass!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 08:18 AM
Registered

Jayl13,
I have a 99 F350 PS dually and tow in 2wd always except when on the ramp. The dually seems to wander less when towing because it doesn't follow the "ruts" that develop in our lovely Ohio highways. I've never had any sway are while towing(tri-axle trailer w/9800lbs of boat). It's always been rock-solid. The dually is rated the same as the single rear wheel, I think-10000lbs from the factory receiver(w/tow pkg) and 15000lbs from the fifth-wheel plate. I rarely drive the truck w/o the boat hooked up, but get about 12-13mpg towing @ 80mph. The decision to go w/ the dually was based as much on appearance as it was function.
Alan
Old 10-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Wild Horses

For everyday use.... We love our dually. Get da hell out of our way...........................

Old 10-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Registered

I have a 1990 F350 with the 460 FI in it
Man what a pig of a truck
Tough to get the baja moving,
it does move it no question but man from a stop on a slight incline it is like trying to pull down the empire state building.

Plus on the burb driving scale I get 9 MPG non towing.
Towing on the highway I get 3 MPG

Mine is a SRW truck and I love the look of the dually's but functionality it HAS to be much more stable on the road than this thing, My tires are load rated and very skinny thus providing minimal stability with boat on back going around turns
Loaded my baja is tipping the scales around 10 thou maybe a tad more.

Heavy *****!!!

Jason
Old 10-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Registered

3 MPG !!!! Holy sh*t. You would be a perfect candidate for a diesel
Old 10-17-2002, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you have an automatic ? That takes up a lot of power . Also if it is that hard to get moving , what gear ratio do you have in the rear ? Probably high gears like 3.55. For towing with an automatic (with your truck) a 4.10 rear would get it rolling better . But it would suffer mpg on the highway as the motor wil be screaming . You could add a good exhaust air filter and chip and it would pull a lot better . Or, buy a nice diesel !

Never tow in 4wd ! Only on the ramp or in a field or something like that . never on the road . I have a 2002 f350 single wheel crew cab diesel ,6 speed manual, 3.73 rears . I tow a 39' express cat .grossing 26,000 lbs . it pulls it great at 75mph and get about 12mpg doing it . without the boat I get 17-18 mpg. with a chip and exhaust etc , I get 18-19 in town and around 20-21 on the highway (not towing ) . Duallys are great for towing but if you don't do it all the time they ride rougher and are a pain to get around with . We sold all our duallys and went to single wheels . Geting another 2003 now . The single wheel trucks get better mileage to .
Old 10-17-2002, 09:52 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 1999 F350 CrewCab Dually Power Stroke 4wd. I have yet to need the 4wd to get out of a ramp except for one time when I had to put the trailer off the end of the ramp and the low gear was great so that I could pull it out REAL slow and not damage anything. Do the dual rear wheels make a difference.... HELL YES THEY DO. Just for a test go up to a Dual rear wheel truck and push on the sides a couple times. You will notice it does not move at all. The single rear wheel trucks will start to get worse and worse. I have yet to feel like my boat is going to make my truck spin around even in the rain. We were even towing in the snow when passing through Syracus NY when we picked up Biggus's boat out in LOTO in the beginning of April. I would say it depends on what you are towing if you need it or not. It sure looks agressive and people tend to stay away. As far as them being a pain around town they are. I have now had people twice hit the flairs cuz they are to stupid to realize they are there. They start the turn and pull out and and anticipate the that the truck is the same length all the way down. Do you think they told me..... HELL NO!!!! I come out and there are scratches in the flares. I was PISSED. They do flex a lot so it is just a scuff but still pisses me off.

Jon
Old 10-17-2002, 10:14 AM
Registered

Yeah I use this pick up as a daily driver so 9 mpg burb driving is a real pain in the ass
it is costing me about 250 a month for work to home driving.
Hell that is a chunk of a car payment.
Anyway, I cant do anything until the Trans Am is paid off, I have 2 yrs left on it but I might try to work on paying it off early
depending on how much more this boat is going to cost me LOL
(damn there is that money thing again)

Anyway, Im just trying to figure out what in the hell to do cause this thing really is a tank, runs its ass off no question and it pulls the hell out of the boat, but you feel it
Yes it is an automatic and it has some Dana 60 or 44 or some wacky full floating rear with some monster gears in it
driving at 50 mph im taching out around 2500 or so (nice, no overdrive in this pig either)

but she will take one mother of a beating no doubt.
Ill only buy ford at this point, GM trucks have let me down alot in the past but the fords just seem to keep going and going.

Plus the new fords interiors look like my wife's SL500 benz!!!
They got heated seats and stuff like the benz too?
Jason

Quick Reply: Sort of OT, Truck questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.