Progress Report: Fountain Kilo Boat Build On Track For January Record Attempt >

Progress Report: Fountain Kilo Boat Build On Track For January Record Attempt

Notices

Progress Report: Fountain Kilo Boat Build On Track For January Record Attempt

Old 12-25-2017, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by justfishing
Some of these comments seem rediculous and biased against fountain.

For starters power requirements are not linear but rather exponential. That is it takes a lot more horsepower for small gains in speed. This becomes a mechanical challenge. It gets harder to ring more hp out of an engine. Look at the cost and longevity of say a 500 hp and a 1500 hp engines. You only have to look at the cost and rebuild schedules to understand how different they are.

As far as the hull is concerned. There is not much that you can do to modify the hulls It will come down to some fine tuning. Current v hulls are very efficient. There is not going to be much of the boat in the water. The real work will be on balance and aerodynamics. Water is very hard at those speeds. The boat has to run straight, a hook at those speeds will cause a loss of control.

It will be a major accomplishment if they are able to break 200 mph.
for the record I am not bashing fountain. I think it’s great for the sport. I’m just pointing out the fact that this looks like a purpose built boat. I don’t see how it could go on (that chopped down) and handle offshore conditions. Kudos to fountain. Good luck to them!!!

Last edited by 1MOSES1; 12-26-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

There are 10 hulls built just like this one. Instagator being one of them & it has been very dominant in ruff & calm water.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by flat rate
Everyone knows that’s not true! and everyone knows that Brian forehand did the bottom and rerigged it and drove it so give it up!
I’m confused. So they were just supposed to pop it out of the mold bottom untouched and run it? Rigging should be typical production rigging even though it’s a custom manufacturer? Who was supposed to drive it? A 1350 pleasure sv43 ran 155+ at loto so those weren’t 1650s in the race boat that set the record?

I’m not pulling for anyone or anything here. Just stated that it would be cool to take HP out of the equation. I could care less who has the silly title.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Which sv43 ran 155 plus in the shootout with 1350s?
Old 12-26-2017, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
They compromise visual safety for structural safety.
Exactly and I'm glad to see it. Keep the water out of the canopy.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for showing us the progress as you build, and good luck and be safe on the run. Given the recent accidents I can't say I think this is the right time to try this, but that's really not any of my business to decide either. Be safe dudes!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie Fountain
Which sv43 ran 155 plus in the shootout with 1350s?
Correction, 149mph. Not sure why I had 155 in my head. My apologies. Again I don’t have a dog in this fight, could very well be a fountain owner before a OL owner.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
I’m confused. So they were just supposed to pop it out of the mold bottom untouched and run it? Rigging should be typical production rigging even though it’s a custom manufacturer? Who was supposed to drive it? A 1350 pleasure sv43 ran 155+ at loto so those weren’t 1650s in the race boat that set the record?

I’m not pulling for anyone or anything here. Just stated that it would be cool to take HP out of the equation. I could care less who has the silly title.
That's funny. A little history here.

Reggie Fountain's 42 lightning hull (40 race) uses two steps and runs on a pad. The OL hull design of the SV 43 uses 5 steps but no pad. Without that pad and more steps the OL is no doubt fast but it tends to run flatter and wetter up front. The downside is that it tends to bow steer. Not good when you are racing or trying to break a kilo record. Such is the design quirk with the OL hull design that sometimes will spin out on the race course even when going in a straight line.

When OL wanted to capture the kilo record they towed their boat to North Carolina.and hired Reggie's ex-setup guru and his gang of ex-Fountain bottom guys to put a Fountain-like pad on the bottom of the OL Kilo boat, as well as to make other design modifications to the hull to make it run more like a Fountain. This is no secret and common knowledge to both the Fountain and OL camps - but apparently not to some on this site.

All's fair in love and kilo wars. OL owns the kilo record fair and square and you won't see Reggie crying online that OL had to hire his ex-protege to copy his hull bottom in order to take the record. But when people on this site start complaining that the Fountain should run the same engines as the OL to get "A true comparison of which hull design is superior" I'll bet it makes Reggie's head almost explode - as it should.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
That's funny. A little history here.

Reggie Fountain's 42 lightning hull (40 race) uses two steps and runs on a pad. The OL hull design of the SV 43 uses 5 steps but no pad. Without that pad and more steps the OL is no doubt fast but it tends to run flatter and wetter up front. The downside is that it tends to bow steer. Not good when you are racing or trying to break a kilo record. Such is the design quirk with the OL hull design that sometimes will spin out on the race course even when going in a straight line.

When OL wanted to capture the kilo record they towed their boat to North Carolina.and hired Reggie's ex-setup guru and his gang of ex-Fountain bottom guys to put a Fountain-like pad on the bottom of the OL Kilo boat, as well as to make other design modifications to the hull to make it run more like a Fountain. This is no secret and common knowledge to both the Fountain and OL camps - but apparently not to some on this site.

All's fair in love and kilo wars. OL owns the kilo record fair and square and you won't see Reggie crying online that OL had to hire his ex-protege to copy his hull bottom in order to take the record. But when people on this site start complaining that the Fountain should run the same engines as the OL to get "A true comparison of which hull design is superior" I'll bet it makes Reggie's head almost explode - as it should.
This is explained very well. Thank you.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 554 Likes on 337 Posts

a few big shots went to Fountain this past week also ==> https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...o-boat-project

if you're going for the record and do it productively and safely it's good to get industry leaders to give a helping hand.

its all good!

Last edited by noli; 12-26-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.