Turbine boats/ do or don't >

Turbine boats/ do or don't

Notices

Turbine boats/ do or don't

Old 10-20-2002, 11:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed Mosmiller has designed and is using a turbine brake to stop the output section. This allows the boat to shift with the turbines running. He can dock it and maneuver quite well under 6mph on the turbines. His company is called Integrated Turbine Systems here in Baltimore MD and his idea is to make these boats in production form as opposed to one-off boats like Fusco's
Old 10-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Byron

I do like the brake idea on the output shaft. This was used on the boat My Way a 46' skater that I rode on. Docking was still a little hairy and the boat was very loud at idle. Thats why I'm thinking about 2 very small motors for docking and idle areas. I know they now have trannies that can hold big power but they do fail, I was thinking more of crash boxes with nuetral and forward only. Also how do I get in touch with Ed Mosmiller?

Last edited by Byron; 10-20-2002 at 12:14 PM.

Old 10-20-2002, 12:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ed Mosmiller

410-360-0047

[email protected]

He told me he spent literally hours in conversation with Howard Arneson so he did not totally re-invent the wheel. I have seen his boat run on numerous occasions(didn't quite have enough life insurance for the wife to let me ride )and the system seems to work very well. He has over 200 hours on the water this summer dialing it in and everything is still working well. I'm sure he would be happy to hear from you if you would like to talk with him.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:24 PM
Byron

What type of boat and turbine power has he been running?

Old 10-20-2002, 05:42 PM
skaterize

Just an idea but what if you could use smaller vetus thrusters in the forward part of the sponsons, and maybe built into the aft sponson aswell, how cool would that be the only time they are in the water is at idle speeds anyway why wouldnt they work. Just guessing if you have the money it take s to put a vessel like this together a little R&D with some thrusters is a small investment for being the innovator of something not yet tried and wouldnt distract from the looks and would be controlled with joysticks no extra shifters or cables. Sounds great A. Let me know what you think. Good luck. Craig

ps. Boeing says that a 737 aircraft is more efficient 78 percent full of passengers than the average auto with two passengers. All food for thought.

Old 10-20-2002, 06:02 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.everettaero.com/nimbus.html

700 hp 600lbs 13.33/1 reduction from 35000 rpm
free wheeling gearbox 71inch long x 38inch wide
Old 10-20-2002, 06:13 PM
Byron

Hey I agree with the thruster type idea. I was thinking of some type of electric thrusters in the back also. They use this type of propulsion on some ships, just need small ones of course. It would need to propell the boat for long periods of idle zone some. kind of like a trolling motor. I have thought of using a small generator to keep up with the power usage, also it could be used to run other systems on the boat.

Old 10-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The ITS boat can idle for extended periods with no problem, and those turbines have a great charging system installed

It is a 40 Skater(what else?) and has 2 T53 helicopter turbines(plentiful, used in Hueys) It has modified Arneson drives spinning 5 blade Rolla props. The T43 is attractive because it has it's own gearbox for reduction. It is a very clean, compact setup.

I saw a setup they were starting up at Professional Marine in New Jersey. They were putting 3 turbines in an older aluminum cat. They had frames that held a small Yanmar diesel and trans under the turbine. It had a belt connected to the driveshaft so you could fire up the Yanmar and maneuver on that .

Last edited by Ted G; 03-04-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Call John Cosker @ Marine Performance, (386)-760-6464. He and the crew @ MP have designed, built and rigged 2 of the fastest turbine boats around for Callan Marine. 1 is a v and the other is a cat.
Go to www.callanmarine.com
and check it out for yourself.
We, (Myself and my oldest daughter) went boating last Friday and watched Callan Marine test the 43' cat, and it was truely INCREDIBLE! Dave Callan and JC did a fly-by, about 50' off our post side, @ about 175+ MPH, ( in water that had 3-5 ' rollers!!) and it was the most AWESOME boating sight I have ever witnessed.
You will be hearing about a couple Callan Marine events in the near future!
I can't believe Cosker gets paid to do this stuff!
MD

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 10-21-2002 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thruster idea is perfect, but why use an electricly driven system? The engine gearbox should have power takeoffs that could be used for a hydraulic pump and used to drive hydraulic thrusters. No trouble with batteries that way and no fear of burning out the thruster motors from over use.
If noise around the dock is bad you could go with a small 2 or 3 cylinder diesel to power the hydraulics.
Just an idea.

Last edited by Iggy; 10-21-2002 at 06:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbine boats/ do or don't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.