Notices

When Racing was real!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Re: When Racing was real!

man it wuld be great if we could put todays technology into races of yesterday. I remember as a kid seeing the real offshore races of yesterday on wide world of sports etc and thinking " wow thats friggin insane"I was like 10 or 12 years old and wrote a letter to cigarette saying how cool there boats were and they sent me a bunch of brochures and piks which all went on my bedroom wall..I was in heaven!! I also remember seeing offroad racing on tv like the baja 1000 and thinking these guys had balls too .. seemed so similiar. bouncing over big bumps as fast as you can trying not to die in the process. then I grew up...one down..I pulled off a class win in the 88 baja 1000 and hold 3 differnt 24 hour offroad world endurance records. now that Ive moved to the great lakes its time to try water. imagine if they took all the new laminate tech, built a 40 footer with lightweight materials but built it thick so it had some weight, maybe used one or no steps instead of 27, a couple decent hp motors and did the old point to point racing again, set a race date..if it was big and ugly that day..so be it..sure its nice to go 150 mph... but a real racer knows how to back off and keep stuff together..technology is nice but gone are the days when men were men, with a cigarette hanging out of the mouth, a beer in there dirty grease stained hands and a well earned chip on there shoulders.. now we have manicured pressed shirt wearing people sitting behind there cad programs plotting x dimensions trying to turn "offshore?" boats into drag boats..if I cared about kilo run bickering I would be on dragboatonly.com.. but I want to see some crazy mofo take his boat out in big ugly offshore conditions , hold on and stuff the throttles..hell I want to be the guy doing it!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Holy cow, this thread is from 2002!
Old 12-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Panther:

Are you sure about the year.........? 1977 seems about three years early.

T2x
ajack hawk 1979 or 80...........before that was 35 mistress........j.j.s joint...........
Old 12-17-2006, 05:44 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by el indio
ajack hawk 1979 or 80...........before that was 35 mistress........j.j.s joint...........
Yeah and the cats weren't around in '77 either....... The photos may be mislabeled..... I'm thinking '79

T2x
Old 12-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

who knows, that was 2002....

anyway, it was a pile of 30-40 photos. My family has been boating since the 60's so it's possible some earlier photo's were mixed in with the bunch...
Old 12-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Ya'll made me dig into my old pictures to check the years. Half of them have rounded corners, which are stamped 77'. The others, including the one of Ajac does not have a year printed on the back of it so 78' is defintely possible since I was only 2 years old.. Only question I have is; which year was it that Beep Beep sunk and we lost Joel Halpern? This was the same race, I have 3-4 pictures of what's left of the boat being towed in.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
man it wuld be great if we could put todays technology into races of yesterday. I remember as a kid seeing the real offshore races of yesterday on wide world of sports etc and thinking " wow thats friggin insane"I was like 10 or 12 years old and wrote a letter to cigarette saying how cool there boats were and they sent me a bunch of brochures and piks which all went on my bedroom wall..I was in heaven!! I also remember seeing offroad racing on tv like the baja 1000 and thinking these guys had balls too .. seemed so similiar. bouncing over big bumps as fast as you can trying not to die in the process. then I grew up...one down..I pulled off a class win in the 88 baja 1000 and hold 3 differnt 24 hour offroad world endurance records. now that Ive moved to the great lakes its time to try water. imagine if they took all the new laminate tech, built a 40 footer with lightweight materials but built it thick so it had some weight, maybe used one or no steps instead of 27, a couple decent hp motors and did the old point to point racing again, set a race date..if it was big and ugly that day..so be it..sure its nice to go 150 mph... but a real racer knows how to back off and keep stuff together..technology is nice but gone are the days when men were men, with a cigarette hanging out of the mouth, a beer in there dirty grease stained hands and a well earned chip on there shoulders.. now we have manicured pressed shirt wearing people sitting behind there cad programs plotting x dimensions trying to turn "offshore?" boats into drag boats..if I cared about kilo run bickering I would be on dragboatonly.com.. but I want to see some crazy mofo take his boat out in big ugly offshore conditions , hold on and stuff the throttles..hell I want to be the guy doing it!!!
I WOULD LOVE TO SMOKE A BUTT WHILE I'M RACING BUT THEN I WOULD HAVE TO LET GO OF THE WHEELAND THAT I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR . IF WE RACED DRUNK I'M SURE WE WOULD BE DEAD. I DON'T THINK I CLEANED MY RACE SHIRT FOR THE LAST 4 RACES. I KNOW THAT THERE ARE PLENTY OF GREAT RACERS THAT HAVE RACED HARDER THEN US BUT MY GUY DOES NOT LIFT AND WE RACE AS HARD AS WE CAN EVERY SINGLE TIME WE ARE OUT THERE.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
but I want to see some crazy mofo take his boat out in big ugly offshore conditions , hold on and stuff the throttles..

Make sure you hit the OPA races that will be in the area .... you just described more than half of our guys
Old 12-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GARBAGEMAN
I WOULD LOVE TO SMOKE A BUTT WHILE I'M RACING BUT THEN I WOULD HAVE TO LET GO OF THE WHEELAND THAT I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR . IF WE RACED DRUNK I'M SURE WE WOULD BE DEAD. I DON'T THINK I CLEANED MY RACE SHIRT FOR THE LAST 4 RACES. I KNOW THAT THERE ARE PLENTY OF GREAT RACERS THAT HAVE RACED HARDER THEN US BUT MY GUY DOES NOT LIFT AND WE RACE AS HARD AS WE CAN EVERY SINGLE TIME WE ARE OUT THERE.
Yeah, you guys love some rough water
Attached Thumbnails When Racing was real!-2510.jpg  
Old 12-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

garbageman..hey Im not in anyway taking away from the racing and or the racers themselves of today..not in the least bit..just wondering what it would be like if you could combine oldschool with new school....

Quick Reply: When Racing was real!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.