Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When Racing was real! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35237-when-racing-real.html)

Lucididee 10-21-2002 11:26 PM

The picture that you have titled running hard. Is that Rocky? It looks like Benihana on the side.

audacity 10-22-2002 07:16 AM

hummmmm...when racing was real???:rolleyes:

cool pixs!:D

Shane 10-22-2002 07:32 AM

Great thread, thanks! I remember going to these events as a kid telling my mother I will have one of those boats some day. We were standing in front of teh Miss Boardwalk. 15-20 years later I was driving here re-named PENNZOIL! These pictures sure do bring back memories of days gone by. When offshore was ROUGH! Like Daytona, Cape Cod and Point Pleasant. Thanks for sharing.:)

Fast Shafts 10-22-2002 07:52 AM

Panther,

"WILD TURKEY" is still running around Barneget Bay NJ, I think it is out of Chadwick Island.
Hard Running is Joe Halpern's "BEEP BEEP"
:D

Shane 10-22-2002 08:05 AM

Does Bob Bochinno have anything to do with Wild Turkey any more? He and my father were friends.

Panther 10-22-2002 02:22 PM

Wild Turkey was Sweet!

Wild Turkey is right here in Barnegat?? I would love to see that boat. I grew up looking pictures of that boat.

I just like the old days of racing were better. I have friends who race, one in particular that one an APBA championship last year.

Somehow over the years regulations got too strict? Now adays for a boater like myself to go see a race at Pt. Pleasant I have to park a quarter of a mile away from the race. Last year in NYC I had to anchor so far away I had to watch the race from behind a telephoto lens on my camera.

A majority of the races run today are run in calm water, or cancelled if it's too rough. Last year in Pt. Pleasant it was rough. The proof was in the pudding because two of the boats (Fountains) were both delaminated and cracked right down the side of the boat. One was Firewater, don't remember what the other one was. The boats were heavy yes, but they hull stayed together.

Don't get me wrong, racing nowadays is great, but it doesn't have the same meaning or feel that it did back then.

audacity 10-22-2002 03:42 PM

to each his own....

hummmm...calm water....daytona a lot of boats got busted up....cap cod!!! CRAZY water...savanah....boats don't stuff and pull drives off in calm water:rolleyes: ....todays course layouts are way shorter, more turns, and closer to shore...the boats are w/o a doubt faster with less power....the racing in f1 this year has been better than i can EVER remember....i love the boats of yesteryear but not the race it self....

Panther 10-23-2002 09:39 AM

No Doubt they are faster

Audacity wrote:

todays course layouts are way shorter, more turns, and closer to shore...the boats are w/o a doubt faster with less power

There is no doubt that the boats are faster today with less power. The technology has come a long way, and it will get better as time goes on. That is what is supposed to happen.

There is a lot of lost Carma though. The last few races I went to I was totally dissapointed. I drive the boat 30 minutes, or an hour and get pushed a 1/4 mile away from the race course. I have decided not to take the boat to any more races because it has been made so hard to enjoy.

Panther 10-23-2002 09:40 AM

Corner boat

It seems the only good way to watch the race from the water these days is to sign up to be a corner boat, or go out on one of the chartered boats.

audacity 10-23-2002 10:48 AM

actually the place to be is in the VIP tent!......actually we will have a pleasure boat on hand to take our sponsors out after the race....no one wanted to pay 100k for a bad ass 2000 AT poker run boat,,,,so i'll keep it for others to use at that price!!!