Notices

When Racing was real!

Old 10-23-2002, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Audacity,

The Fiberglass materials today have come along way from the 70s and early 80s.

I think the race boats today are built ultra light to test what we can get away with.The laminates are definetely stronger and resin quality is much better now to.

Back then the boats would be (racing way offshore) so in away it was necessary to have more glass thickness to make them stiffer-stronger.You could not afford to build them too light since you normally would run in whatever sea condition was up for the day and would be far from land most of the time.

That is the reason you would be required to carry a life raft and drinking water.

In approximately 1980 a few of the Open class teams began to show up at races with a flat water boat and a rough water boat. A Deep V and a Cat.

The race coarses now are much closer to land and now do laps with safety personel right above you or near by so it allows for race boats to be built lighter and that makes them faster.It takes horsepower to push weight to get speed.

This information is based on facts from My father and some memories of mine while I was a kid.

I remember quite a few race boats from the 70s and 80s being delaminated from heavy abuse in big water also.

Regards, JO
Old 10-23-2002, 04:43 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default JO, Thanks

Hey JO, Thanks for your input. I am in agreement with you. Who would know better?? The old boats were built like Brick Sh$T Houses.

In regards to the year of the race. I am too young to be able to know personally what year the race was in. It may very well be 79?? I have about 60-70 pictures and they are all jumbled together.

A few of the pictures have the year printed on the back of the picture. One of the pictures that has the year printed on the back is of the boat Satisfaction. I also have a bunch of pictures of Harry O, Pure Insanity, and El Boss.

There is no doubt that boats are being built better, along with better materials. One obvious difference is the use of Biaxial Cloth, and Vinyl Ester resins.. But I feel they have been so maxed out that some of them are like egg shells.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

32 A/T 6 to 8s 71mph? I too find that hard to believe, for how long?
Old 10-23-2002, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

also did you know it did 71mph with 5.7 liters and alpha drives!!

just busting your chops ssherman, don't get mad
Old 10-23-2002, 05:51 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default coverage is poor too

Even the coverage of the races is poor. The helcopters have to fly so far away from the boat, that I feel like I have tunnel vision watching the race.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those were the Good Ole days The Classes were Production, Modified, Sport ,Open That’s all Folks ! Real easy to understand!
Old 10-23-2002, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

yep,

coverage not good at all, not like old days where the helicopter was right down on the deck!!!

its sad what offshore racing has become
Old 10-24-2002, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

There was also open class II which was usually single engine boats which ran against the "Open" class boats.
Does anyone remember when "Super Toad", a single engine 28' Cigarette, open class II, broke 1/2 mile frome the finish during the first "Benihanna", and handed the win to "LaTortuga"- a 44' MSV?
Old 10-24-2002, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zoomnfun
32 A/T 6 to 8s 71mph? I too find that hard to believe, for how long?
NOPE! I was driving unfortunately. They were maybe 4-6's with an occassional hole. Additionally, we ran out of gas because a certain individual decided he wanted to stay light. I advised against it, to no avail, but that just shows lack of experience on the decision makers part. Sorry that you guys were mislead with water conditions and speeds. Glad you saw right through it and recognize that it is not really possible to consistantly run those speeds in that boat. The ride was definitely IMPRESSIVE though! As always, I just like to set the record straight with the truth.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:22 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ssherman
My 32 AT averaged just under 71mph in Miami in 99 in 6-8's with stone stock 500hp's 4 12" subs complete stereo and cabin.
DUDE you need to get out of the lake some time and learn how to measure waves In what I would call 6-8's you would not be going 10MPH let alone 70 unless they were swells coming in from a hurricane

Quick Reply: When Racing was real!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.