Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Beware Lake Texoma Area Engine Builder! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35288-beware-lake-texoma-area-engine-builder.html)

Apache22 10-22-2002 10:29 PM

I have been lucky to know two very talented engine builders in my life, one was a older man who was a engineer/engine builder/racer named Swede Stromsted, hwe was any old flat bottom racer/record holder retired to FL in the mid 70's from the Chain O' Lakes area of IL. He built everything from Flatheads to 392 Hemi's to Late Model big cube engines, naturaly asperated & Supercharged, had a reputation for building bullet proof engines
that won races

Just had a engine built be Bruce Baker of EXPRESS, also a
racer/engine builder and I am VERY pleased with his work, very
anal about everything, drives in the Outlaw Class for Team Velocity. I would recomend him to anyone.

I'm sorry for your bad luck but latley for every good engine built there are several horror stories, always go with the best you won't be sorry, if you don't you will pay more in the long run, than you would have in the first place

There are ALOT of Morons out there............ BEWARE!

BLOWN 1100 10-22-2002 10:45 PM

Brad
You and I are in agrement about Hans and Randy. I have known
Hans and Randy several yrs, they are both straight up guys. Hans knows how to build hp. also he built the worlds fastest
small block.

liquid asset 10-23-2002 12:04 AM

Not a big deal, just an example, L.D. at lake Texoma tried to charge me 700 bucks to reprogram my ecu, I sent it to AZ speed and marine after Brad telling me a few storys and paid 300:eek:

KAAMA 10-23-2002 04:28 AM

I have to agree with DanL. I don't think something like that would go over well whether they are paid advertisers or not. There would be too much of a potential for deception and it could get distorted.

Anyway, some of these guys I wouldn't trust to build my lawn mower engine! :rolleyes:

dyno 10-23-2002 05:42 AM

If what DanL says is true then OSO is controlling our exchange of information....its like reading Power Boat or any other magazine... all one sided( if your a paying advertiser your un- touchable) thatts what makes this board great the free exchange of info....

Brad Perry 10-23-2002 08:21 AM

Dyno,

I don't think this is the utopia you speak of.... It's a GREAT place, but it has it's limits. I'm sure Jefferey is not doing this for his health! It's a business (wonderful one it is), and like any other it has it's agenda. As soon as it starts making money, it's agenda forms. Unless somebody can find a way to make all feel that it's fair and still a good place to advertise (and make money), it ain't gonna happen here. It sounded great when I said it needed to happen here, but there would be too much conflict of interest. A side note: I doubt that too many of the quality advertisers here would get beat up too bad though. I think the main ones that bite us are several tiers down on a more local level.

It's not all negative, you do see auto makers bragging about their consumer report ratings when they perform well.

Maybe this needs to be taken outside of this venue, in a totally neutral place. It wouldn't make money anytime soon, but if we all used it, it would serve it's purpose.

Just some 'storming: It would seem to me that to make reviews valid, contact info from the reviewer should be availiable. That might keep the potshots down. What do the rest of you think? Is it worth persueing?

Brad Perry 10-23-2002 08:30 AM

Hey 1100,

I met Hans when I took a ride with a buddy that had to return a short block to him. My buddy bragged about how clean and well run his shop was. Then his new motor started knocking! When I went with him to return it, Hans looked at it and said that the crank oiling holes had not been deburred and it tore up the mains. He said that when that block was assembled, he had some extra help that was no longer there. He absolutely took responsibility and said he would make it right. He put in a new crank and rebuilt the short block within a week.

Since then, I have never seen anyone but Randy assembling motors with Hans. They have a meticulus machinist too.

That along with his no BS attitude went a long way with me.

I've gone back several times since and have always been impressed with their work.

accidents can happen anywhere, it's how you make them right that counts.;)

Nordicflame 10-23-2002 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Brad Perry
Well, there you go, I think the guy is a psycho and Clay thinks he's great. Freedom of opinion at it's best.
Hey Brad,
which one are you referring to being a psycho?
Can't speak for Jim but Bob is one of the most honest, conservative and fair (sometimes too fair) people I know!

Just clarifying so that someone doesn't get bad press by accident:cool:

Also, the oil cooler you sold me is still going strong:D
Later,
Dave

timucin 10-23-2002 06:33 PM

Originally posted by BLOWN 1100
A friend of mine sued him and won, only thing it took
five yrs to get it settled.

:mad: :mad:

H2Xmark 10-23-2002 06:53 PM

Man sorry to hear about your engine there D.K. hope they make it right, if not I have the OSO bat in hand!!! also in the houston area Owen's racing engines has a good bill of health for quality work, let us know how it turns out
Mark