Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trailers with drive guards (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35433-trailers-drive-guards.html)

ssherman 10-23-2002 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike,
Here is another picture

Hot Duck 10-23-2002 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As BOSYSHOT1 said, we can vouch for the value of a drive guard. We were struck from behind back in July and the drive guard saved the boat! We were making a right hand turn and got hit on the right rear corner of the trailer by a car traveling 50 mph. The person that hit us told the Trooper that she did not see us! If not for the drive guard, the car would have hit the drives and tabs and could have ripped everything off of the transom. Also, because of the drive guard, the impact was our trailer vs. her bumper instead of our drives vs. her windshield. In the long run, the drive guard helped both us and the other party involved.

Luckily, Myco built us a great trailer. The only damage to the boat was in the right hand drive, which was completely replaced. The trailer was declared a total loss b/c the frame rails and cross members were bent. So, we had the crew at Myco build us a replacement trailer and we are back as good as new. If you have the chance, I would not hesitate to buy a trailer with a drive guard. It adds a little length, but it is well worth every inch!

Lynch Mob (F2-3)

Hot Duck 10-23-2002 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:mad:

Hot Duck 10-23-2002 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:(

Hot Duck 10-23-2002 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:eek:

Hot Duck 10-23-2002 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:mad:

MnFastBoat 10-23-2002 05:58 PM

Has anyone had an extension put on a trailer that did not have one in the first place.
I travel alot. Over 30,000 miles on the trailer since I have owned it :(
I ALWAYS worry about someone hitting me.
I am actually more worried about some cell phone idiot or makeup smearing house wife not paying attention and rearending me. Then knowing that they are at fault and knowing the possible high cost of repair not saying anything. I am sure alot of impacts can go unnoticed but yet to damage. Props, Skegs, etc.

Hot Duck, was the person driving doing over 65 or under??
That is one hell of a impact to bend the I-beams that much.
Or was she driving a Mack truck :(

I really do not want to buy a new trailer now, But the next boat will have some sort of swing away protection.

Someone even suggested at one time to make a tripod at the rear. 2 I-beams on a hinge meeting at the middle. Swing to both sides. Anyone that impacts it will be pushed off to the side.
I do not see it that way since the hinge will be the forgiving weak point.

Byron 10-23-2002 06:50 PM

Plus it looks cool, that in itself is worth it!!!

Havasu Cig 10-23-2002 07:57 PM

My new Myco has one and I agree with everything everyone has said. It protects the boat and is easy to swing open and closed. I will say though that my new aluminum trailer guard is a lot lighter and easier to operate than the steel one it was on when I bought it.

Andy Buzz 10-23-2002 09:28 PM

Definitely gives protection. I have a 99 Myco trailer with drive guards, tool box, flush system etc. It is under my 37 OuterLimits. I would like to sell it for around $6000 as I need a saltwater trailer. Myco makes the best trailer for the long haul. Smoothest ride and best for the boat. If anyone is looking for a Myco call me at (813)882-8477.

Andy Buzz