Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which power for Searay 28 Sundancer? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35486-power-searay-28-sundancer.html)

Ted G 10-24-2002 08:25 PM

Actually there isn't enough room for the twins in that bilge:D I would definitely get someone else to do maintenance on it.;) I don't think there is any way to get Volvos in that boat since they are kind of "cookie cutter". I am also not too thrilled with the longevity of the B3's but they do handle like a dream.

klmken 10-24-2002 10:40 PM

I say 575 SCI's.......should be able to cruise like a missle with those!!

mcollinstn 10-24-2002 10:44 PM

Pros for Twins:
* unparallelled maneuverability even in the wind in close quarters.
* higher cruise speed and higher top speed and quicker to plane.
* a complete backup in case one fails. Can also swap parts from one to the other when diagnosing a problem.

Cons for twins:
* No room to get in the bilge for maintenance. (just try changing those inside plugs).
* Will make a larger wake than a single (tail heavy).
* Will use more fuel than a single at a given speed.
* Twice the maintenance costs.
* Eats up storage for swim floats, knee boards, and such in the bilge.

Pros for Closed cooling:
* Engine block will never freeze.
* Engine and heads will never suffer from a corrosion problem.
* you can never pump the block full of mud by sucking silt in shallow water (you only have to clean out the heat exchanger which comes off easily).
* Really easy to tell if you have a blown headgasket (bubbles in the recovery tank).

Cons for closed cooling:
* One more fluid to keep stored onboard (antifreeze).
* that's all.

aabfeh 10-25-2002 08:53 AM

Don't even consider this boat with a single! I spent a week at LOTO with a friends 28 Sea Ray, 6.2L BIII. Terrible experience! The main problem was that it took most of the afternoon to get on plane, when and if it did, you had to maintain a 30+mph cruise to stay on plane. I think I'm still bouncing. The engine ran at 4000+ rpm all day, sucked gas and seemed to be hard on everything.

AC 10-25-2002 11:08 AM

Go with the twins!

AC

Panther 10-25-2002 12:11 PM

go for twins

Go with #6 drives, 572's with 14-71 blowers.

hot water 10-25-2002 12:57 PM

I had a 268 Sundancer with 454 430hp single. I was not happy with the performance at all. Too long to get on plane and bow rise too high. Twins are a must even better with bravo 3's, a much more efficient setup.

Sleekster 10-29-2002 04:00 PM

Thanks to all who posted on this. He did ski behind a 28 with the single this past weekend. He's thinking of a 100 foot line!

I'll let you all know what he decides.

I tried to get him thinking blowers....no go!

Steet 10-29-2002 06:24 PM

Twins vs. Single

Go with the twins, and you will not be disappointed. I have a 1993 290 Searay Sundancer w/twin V-6's (205 hp) with alpha drives and the boat will run 46 on GPS. (43 with 4 passengers and full tank of fuel--130 gals.)) It will cruise @ 30mph @ 3300 rpm and gets 2.0 mpg everytime. It out performs my neighbors 290 with a single 454 and gets better fuel economy. It is also faster. I am sure it also handles better docking if there is any wind present. Hope this helps