Notices

Poker Runs

Old 10-25-2002, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharkey,

I have been trying to forget the fact that you were so far out in front! Or so we thought. Sorry dude, I stand corrected. You were DEFINITELY the MAN!
Old 10-25-2002, 08:53 AM
GRH

Often it depends on the run... many have minimum length requirements.... for instance 1000 islands is 28' minimum.... however you will enjoy the commarodare & atmosphere even if you do not participate.... attend... its a great time....

Old 10-25-2002, 09:00 AM
Bayley

Default A first timer perspective...

This past summer, I participated in my first (two actually) poker runs. They were rather small events compared to SMOTW or 1K Islands. Regardless, it was still a lot more fun that I could have ever imagined.

The first run, was an owners Rally for Sunsation Powerboats. The great thing about this, was that almost all of the boats were equally matched and there wasn’t one guy who would be running away from everyone else. Running with a large group of boats is a blast, almost like one continuous 30 minute race between stops! (even though a poker run is not a race... whatever )

Second run I did last summer was small poker run down in Lake Erie. Probably about 50 or 60 boats, mostly 30’ish deep V-s with a handful of low 20’s V’s and a couple of 30’ish cats. The weather was pretty rough this particular day and most everyone was getting the schit kicked out of them. Also, the first leg was rather long at 50 miles. This, coupled with the large seas, helped space out the pack quite a bit. On the first two legs, I ran with a couple other boats, but it was at cruising (read: non-destructive) speeds since it was too rough to let them air out. Towards the end of the day. The wind let up, just enough for most of us to turn ‘em loose. However, by this late in the run, the majority of the pack was pretty spread out.

I think the biggest difference between the two runs was the organization of the events. The Owners Rally was strictly regulated with a long list of do’ and don’ts. The Lake Erie run was pretty much “Go nuts, have fun, and don’t get killed”. Regardless of who sets it up though, it an almost guaranteed good time!

-Bayley

Old 10-25-2002, 09:45 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

We entered our first run last summer, The Thunder On The Bay out of Red Eyes, We have a 25 ft. AT. We were the 2nd smallest boat there, talk about fun and excitement!!!!! And to top it all off wew weren't far behind the big boats!!!! HAMMER DOWN & HOLD ON!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my perspective on a few...
I know the NYC hudson run has 4 different speed classes, so it's pretty much open to everyone. Been on a few of CBPBA (Cheasapeake Bay) runs out east, most boats 28-38', speeds from 45mph - 150mph, most ran around ~60-65ish. Since the water patrol at LOTO won't permit the PRA to come anymore, the poker runs are more of a harbor hop style, less organized, less emphasis on speed, more emphasis on party/fun. Most of these aren't advertised to avoid run-in's with the water patrol.

Hope that helps some.
Shorty
Old 10-25-2002, 11:37 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by Shane
Sharkey,

I have been trying to forget the fact that you were so far out in front!
Just too small to make out in any of the pics...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !