Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   need advice on cheap tools (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35544-need-advice-cheap-tools.html)

MitchStellin 10-25-2002 07:34 AM

Hey Rob, I have paid for those two items 100 times over just helping others (for free) with their failures:D Try to use the ones supplied with the truck and watch it fold. Thats if you can get the nuts off with the wrong size wrench:eek: Sorry about lunch today, I have 4 closings that need hand holding. Next week will work so lets pick a day and plan on it. I need another colon blow lunch :eek: :eek: :eek: :D (yuk):rolleyes:

JUSTONCE 10-25-2002 07:56 AM

"air tools" only way to go . two letters IR; ingersoll rand make best $200.00 for the last half inch impact your ever buy. chit even the new 3/8 inch IR impact has 625ft/lbs of torque in reverse. "never buy cheap tools, they will break at the absolute worst time possible."
used is a good idea if you want top save money though.:D

neu-rich 10-25-2002 07:58 AM

I Can't Tell You How Many Cheap Tools I Bought... No More.... If You Figure It Out The Cheap Tools Always Cost 2-3 Times More: Hammer : Cheap, 2.99 Used The Hammer 4-5 Times The Wood Handle Breaks, Now Go Out And Buy The Good Hammer With Fiberglass Handle, 20.00, This Hammer Will Last Forever....... Air Tools Also I've Tryed The Harbor Freigt Route And It Just Is Not Worth The Trouble....

Jeff

JohnJan 10-25-2002 08:12 AM

I'm told all the time that the lifetime warranty from Craftsman, Husky, etc. comapred to Snap-On makes them all equal.

Don't believe it.

I've broken Carftsman sockets in the middle of a job and not been able to continue until I crawled down off the boat, cleaned up my stuff, cleaned up my self, got in the truck, driven to Sears, exchanged the tool, got back in my truck, driven home, gotten my stuff out crawled back up in the boat and resumed work.

I've never broken a Snap-On tool.

What's all that less than fun, less than enjoyable running around worth when I work on my boat for fun and enjoyment?

JUSTONCE 10-25-2002 08:16 AM

johnjan: I have broken snap on tools, but very rerely and you are exactly right. I don't care what kind of warranty the put on junk. the warrenty never covers your time to replace it.
time is money buy the best and forget it.:D

R Addiction 10-25-2002 09:50 AM

Get the good stuff. The big 3 manufacturers are you're best bet. If you do buy the cheaper stuff make sure you pick up a good first aid kit to patch up you're knuckles:eek: . Been there done that, as they say.:D

blown formula 10-25-2002 12:45 PM

You can also buy quality tools at Pawn shops...... you just have to bargain!!

I am still using an impact wrench bought from Builders square 12 years ago. It does trailer wheels with no problem most of the time. Otherwise, I just get out the 1/2' breaker bar for the really tuff stuff. Quality does reign, but too much can be way out of line with the need at hand.:)

JUSTONCE 10-25-2002 01:40 PM

:D :D

Zanie 10-25-2002 03:45 PM

Cheap?
You want cheap?
How about $150 for 251 piece CRAFTSMAN tool kit this weekend at Sears.
You'd pay that for just the 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets from Snap-On.

Buy American!!!!

mr_velocity 10-25-2002 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Pete B
life time warranty is what sells, torquing a set of heads i cracked a craftsman 1/2 socket, no prob, replaced as advertised.
Until you break one at 9:00pm or 5:00 on Sunday or even a Saturday afternoon when you have to spend 2 or 3 hours fighting traffic to get to Sears. Warranty or not, it's not worth spending the time to replace them. As they break I've been replacing all my Craftsman sockets with Snap-on. Sure some of the cheap tool warranties are great provided the failure doesn't occur when you need the tool most.