If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    My Boats:
    95 Formula 336 SR1 525SC's
    Holland, Mich

need advice on cheap tools

ok wrenchheads, i am sick of yanking on my 1/2 inch ratchet/socket to change my triple axle tires. I want to buy some cheap tools form harbor freight.

any luck/experience with any of their cheap air tools.
    what max torque should i look at for trailer studs

i'm seriously looking to spend less that $80.
    will i be happy

keep in mind. i need the rest of my money for a pole building heater, water heater, air compressor, and right angle air ratchet

any one have any of those used for sale? I judt don't hsve the time to spend literally all day with the retirees at the local auctions waiting to get to the good stuff.
    Last edited by Rambunctious; 10-24-2002 at 08:28 PM.

Charter Member #971 Charter Member Niuhi's Avatar
    Shoreline, WA, US
    I can't say I'm familier with the tools maker in question, but am willing to bet that just about everyone will agree, "Don't buy cheap tools". Not worth the trouble.

My Boats:
    It's how well you go fast
    yes...everday use,,,,not the best....but every so often...they are fine....DON'T expect to get the torque they spec by any means....

Charter Member Charter Member bowtie's Avatar
    New Jersey
    Spend the bucks on Snap On's half inch battery impact. You won't be dissapointed. It will break loose any trailer lugs.

Charter Member #1171 Charter Member obnoxus's Avatar
    My Boats:
    New Lenox , Il
    Buy used first,, DONT BUY CHEAP TOOLS !!!!!!!!

My Boats:
    2005 Extreme 29
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Pay Now or Pay Later......Bite the bullet and save yourself the aggrivation !!! In other words, "Do you want to buy three or four sets of the same tool, or just buy one good set?". I have Snap On's and Craftsmans and I like them both.

My Boats:
    340 Sundancer with 8.1s, formerly 1999 33 Outlaw HP500s
    Boca Raton, FL
    I try to stick with Matco, MAC or Snap On. Check Ebay. I've gotten a lot of tools from there (mostly new) and usually 1/2 of the truck retail.

Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Mequon, WI
    There are certain situations where cheap tools are appropriate. Some of the cheap stuff that I've bought has been air tools. I've really limited my purchases to the tools that will be used once a year at best. For tools that are used more frequently, it's just not worth the hassel. Murphy's law dictates that it will break at the worst possible time. That said, if the wrench will be used only for the trailer nuts, you can get away with a cheapie. But I don't believe it. Before long you'll be using it for other projects. I'm thinking that in the end, you'll be happier with a mid quality tool. Take a look at the torque ratings. I'm sure that some manufacturers have some creative ways of measuring the torque, but it's a guidline that will guide you in your purchase. Have you tried looking at ebay? Perhaps you can get into a used quality impact for less than a cheepie.

Don't forget that you'll want to score a set of impact sockets and an extension. Anything bigger than a 3/8" impact will eat regular chrome sockets. Also when shopping for a air compressor, look at the air flow rating at 120psi. The cheapie compressors are rated off the hp of the motor and they are creative when rating them. There is no way a motor will make a true 6hp on 110v. And no, a pancake compressor won't have enough storage for a impact.

speel chekk this fokker! Charter Member puder's Avatar
    My Boats:
    27' Scarab
    Locust Valley, New York
    [SIZE=15]cheap tools suck!!!![/SIZE]

granted you might be abel to break those lugs loose a few tiems BUT the first time you crack a socket or your ratchet pops you'll be kicking yourself for buying crap.
    Pardon me, while I whip this out!

My Boats:
    1989 18.5 ft XLT powerplay
    On the river
    You get what ya pay for Tools are not the place to skimp on quailty

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast