need advice on cheap tools >

need advice on cheap tools

Notices

need advice on cheap tools

Old 10-24-2002, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need advice on cheap tools

ok wrenchheads, i am sick of yanking on my 1/2 inch ratchet/socket to change my triple axle tires. I want to buy some cheap tools form harbor freight.

any luck/experience with any of their cheap air tools.
what max torque should i look at for trailer studs

i'm seriously looking to spend less that $80.
will i be happy

keep in mind. i need the rest of my money for a pole building heater, water heater, air compressor, and right angle air ratchet

any one have any of those used for sale? I judt don't hsve the time to spend literally all day with the retirees at the local auctions waiting to get to the good stuff.

Last edited by Rambunctious; 10-24-2002 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:31 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say I'm familier with the tools maker in question, but am willing to bet that just about everyone will agree, "Don't buy cheap tools". Not worth the trouble.

Les
Old 10-24-2002, 08:48 PM
Registered

yes...everday use,,,,not the best....but every so often...they are fine....DON'T expect to get the torque they spec by any means....
Old 10-24-2002, 08:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend the bucks on Snap On's half inch battery impact. You won't be dissapointed. It will break loose any trailer lugs.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:59 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Buy used first,, DONT BUY CHEAP TOOLS !!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2002, 09:46 PM
Registered

Pay Now or Pay Later......Bite the bullet and save yourself the aggrivation !!! In other words, "Do you want to buy three or four sets of the same tool, or just buy one good set?". I have Snap On's and Craftsmans and I like them both.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:00 PM
Registered

I try to stick with Matco, MAC or Snap On. Check Ebay. I've gotten a lot of tools from there (mostly new) and usually 1/2 of the truck retail.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

There are certain situations where cheap tools are appropriate. Some of the cheap stuff that I've bought has been air tools. I've really limited my purchases to the tools that will be used once a year at best. For tools that are used more frequently, it's just not worth the hassel. Murphy's law dictates that it will break at the worst possible time. That said, if the wrench will be used only for the trailer nuts, you can get away with a cheapie. But I don't believe it. Before long you'll be using it for other projects. I'm thinking that in the end, you'll be happier with a mid quality tool. Take a look at the torque ratings. I'm sure that some manufacturers have some creative ways of measuring the torque, but it's a guidline that will guide you in your purchase. Have you tried looking at ebay? Perhaps you can get into a used quality impact for less than a cheepie.

Don't forget that you'll want to score a set of impact sockets and an extension. Anything bigger than a 3/8" impact will eat regular chrome sockets. Also when shopping for a air compressor, look at the air flow rating at 120psi. The cheapie compressors are rated off the hp of the motor and they are creative when rating them. There is no way a motor will make a true 6hp on 110v. And no, a pancake compressor won't have enough storage for a impact.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:06 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

cheap tools suck!!!!

granted you might be abel to break those lugs loose a few tiems BUT the first time you crack a socket or your ratchet pops you'll be kicking yourself for buying crap.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:16 PM
Registered

You get what ya pay for Tools are not the place to skimp on quailty

Quick Reply: need advice on cheap tools

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.