If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Unhappy just blew-up an engine...

one hour 3000rpm = boom!

was testing/cruising a friends boat with his new 383cu.after an hour a metal sound started to come from the engine(I am familiar with that sound cuming from the bearings like tarrrrrrrrrr!) but I was far from the shore; tried to reach the shore around 1000-1500 rpm but engine died with the expected sound 'DANK!'....

-how many of you are familiar with that ugly bearing sound?!?
    -how often you brake engine?

the worst thing ; he is not going to believe me ;I was cruising with 3000rpm...I wouldnt believe in such a position ..would you ?

My Boats:
    2003 Joker
    Boydton Va.
    Sorry to hear about your engine proplems. We have been there and done that. We had a new engine blow up due to the oil pump, with only about 15 mins runnig time, and olny 2 days before leaving for our 1st race this year. We had to pull a couple all nighters to just get it fixed and did not start the motor till we got to Marathon Fl. We did our break in on the pace lap.

High Priority Offshore

My Boats:
    Forsyth, IL & Cape Coral, Fl
    I have Brand New engines we were going to run this year if interested.........
    407 Small Block Chevy
    540 Ft. Lbs.Torque
    645 Horsepower

spyguy: I hope I wont have to buy a complete engine for him.we will see in this week.

by the way visited your web-site you have cool stuff..

My Boats:
    '77 Martini 7 Meter
    Honeoye, NY
    When that happened to me (at under 4000-same sound & result you describe) it was the head of an ex. valve stuck in the top of a piston. Even if that's not it but you are running anything less than inconel quality grade exhaust valves, upgrade when you have it down!!

make sure you didn't detonate it from too much compression. These stroked small blocks are never built with dished pistons. The cylinder heads have very tight combustion chambers and never can't be opened up too much.

Were doomed! Charter Member Wally's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Chris Craft Stinger 222
    Chicago, IL

Nastiest sound i've ever personaly heard was about two years ago when i was cruising around 3500rpm on my way to the air/water show here. With absolutly no warning at all....the engine spit a rod and psiton right out the oil pan!!! Filled the whole cockpit with smoke from the oil spweing everywhere!! Scared the crap out of me! i thought i hit a big log or something and was taking on water!!! Weirdest thing was the engine would still start and run normally like there was nothing wrong!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Mike J
    Had the same thing happen
    to one of 2 NEW Blown 502s
    Main bearings were to did
    not have enough clearence
    OHH I rented a movie that
    was filmed or had a lot of
    background done in your
    City, Istanbul, Turkey.
    Movie is "The Accidental
    Spy" With Jackie Chan.
    Some Boats but NO Skaters Mike J.