Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain vs. Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35750-fountain-vs-cigarette.html)

PhantomChaos 10-28-2002 10:16 PM

Originally posted by cigarette1
Give me a break :rolleyes:
Gary....did you mean:

Give me a BEAK?

32fever 10-28-2002 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Back4More
Cigs need more up to date styling.:D
That must be the new 46 "Beak Rider" that Martin Offshore has for sale. LOL!

Brad 10-29-2002 08:21 AM

I have owned both, two Cigs and 1 Fountain
The Cig has much better rigging and attention to detail.
In the Fountain the only really comfortable position I could find for driving was sitting down, I whish they would make the bolsters taller. In rough water there is no comparison the Cig will always run faster and ride better.
In flat water along with better speed the Fountain turns much better.
I have heard many issues recently with warranty work and factory support on newer Fountains. I always got great support from Cigarette!

birdog 10-29-2002 08:32 AM

You are right about Cig owners being lonely.
Everytime it kicks up on Erie........No Fountains to be seen !
When it is flat they are like flies......:D

If you want flat & fast,there are better choices.........
If you dont want to hide when it kicks up....Cigs & their cousins rule.....{These are called OFFSHORE boats..Ya Know !}

Indy 10-29-2002 08:46 AM

There are some interesting insights from people that have owned or ridden in both. Since I've never owned a Cig (that will change someday) or Fountain I can only go by what is said in threads like this. WHY does a Fountain not ride in the rough as well as a cig? Is the Fountain a more bone jarring ride, does it lose stability, does it not fly level, does it not turn as well, lousy center of gravity, etc????? Don't they both have 24 deg bottoms? Is it the entry angle of the Cig that makes it better, or does weight come into play???

Wardey 10-29-2002 09:03 AM

Well, when you pay top dollars for a 35 or 38 foot boat, do you want a 35 or 38 foot boat.......or a 32 /35 footer?:D :D :D Personally I think Fountain had faster hulls a few years back due to new technology but Cig is up to date now. I would pick the Cig any day.......sorry Mike.:p Dave Warden

F2-34thrttleman 10-29-2002 09:13 AM

Obviously both boats are high quality boats, and both have strong points. The cigerette is with out a doubt, a more custom boat. the attention to detail is a little better. The cigerettes are excellent rough water boats, but the the fountains are good rough water performers as well. Cleavland 2001. The water was snotty and rough at best. Winner, 35 fountain. In flat water, there is no doubt that the 35 ts fountin is the fastest offshore v-hull out there right now. the 36 cigerette is a fast boat as well, but it is out ran in the corners, and it is a little slower in the straight. the fountain is an extremely capable boat, and i feel that they do not get enough credit on this board.as a pleasure boat, they are both great boats. in the end i would go with a gigerette, but the fountain will remain ym choice for a race machine.
Nick Porter
F2-34 throttleman
Pipedream racing

birdog 10-29-2002 09:15 AM

Indy...Part of it is the weight...Cigs are Heavy...Also Fountain uses a "Pad".....Flat bottom at stern of boat....Faster but harder landings....I have not been on a Fountain for many years but..
The build quality and detail did not compare to Cigs in the past. I dont know about now.....I wont even get into "steps" :D

BROWNIE 10-29-2002 09:26 AM

CIG VS. FOUNTAIN

If you own a Cigarette when you die, you get to spend eternity with Don Aronow. If you own a Fountain, you MUST spend it with Reggie.

Indy 10-29-2002 09:28 AM

Birdog...thanks for the reply, weight is a factor. As far as the pad goes, how does that affect the BOAT, not the driver/passengers. I understand that the pad will make for harder landings which is more uncomfortable for the people, but how does that affect rough water performance? I'm trying to ascertain why the Cig is better in rough conditions. Both the Fountains and current Cigs have steps, so that is a wash.