Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain vs. Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35750-fountain-vs-cigarette.html)

Indy 10-29-2002 02:34 PM

Originally posted by cigarette1

Rough water performance and pilot comfort go hand in hand. The less you have to concern yourself with staying in the boat and in one piece the faster you can run it.

Sooo...if you have a pilot that doesn't mind getting a few bumps in the Fountain, is it as fast in the rough?

Indy 10-29-2002 02:54 PM

Re: TOP GUN, CAFE', BULLET

Originally posted by BROWNIE
I was the Director of Product Development at Cigarette for the Top Gun , Cafe' and the Bullet. In 1985, 6, 7, we thought that those boats were the most advanced, best built on the planet. Noone ever said, do it this way and save a buck! Even after all these years, they still hold up well against the glare of newer competition. We used to have a book on the coffee table in Mr. Gowens' office, called"The Quintessence of being it" Rolex is "it". Harley is "it", Ferrari is "it". Snap-on is ""it". Cigarette is "it". Fountain AIN"T.
I suspect the folks at Powerplay, AT, Pantera et al. think highly of their boats also...

cigarette1 10-29-2002 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Indy

Sooo...if you have a pilot that doesn't mind getting a few bumps in the Fountain, is it as fast in the rough?

Didn't say the Fountain wasn't fast in the rough, that's relative

But .... just think what a pilot in a Cigarette, who doesn't mind getting a few bumps, can do :D

DEVIL MAN 10-29-2002 04:48 PM

Comparing similar sized Cigs to Fountains is like comparing red grapes to green grapes....they are both grapes, but look different, handle different and the cost is different. Every boater on this board has different needs and requirements...in some cases, the Fountain would be a good choice and in other cases, the Cigarette would be a good choice. In my particular case and boating in the Pacific Ocean, I got fried and beat up trying to keep up with Jeffrey in his Top Gun when I had my 38 Fountain Fever.

Feverish had Ruckus by five miles per hour but after a 32 mile run back from Catalina at two in the afternoon in bumpy, windy conditions, I was lucky to be even with Jeff. His ride home was effortless, comfortable and DRY!!! My ride was wild, bumpy, shaky and very wet!!!! He would just come back through the harbor and laugh at me....I finally got tired of the abuse, both mental and physical and reached out for a Top Gun, yes, slower in calm lake like waters, but in ocean and big water conditions, much easier on the spine....and kidney!!!!

I really enjoyed the hell out of my Fountain....over 1500 hours...it was a great handling boat and a lot of fun to run, it just couldn't take the day in and day out abuse of ocean water....busted stringers, busted fuel tanks(plural), busted cabin liners, busted bolsters and other obstacles. I pretty much had to rebuld the boat for my type of useage.

With the Cigarette....turn key and go....never had a problem with the hull, tanks, stringers, cabin, anything....in the identical water conditions. For my type of boating, that says a lot!!!!!

Again, for me personally in my type of boating conditions...gotta go with the Top Gun...

DMan....and the D is for ...That Cig is Durable!!!!!!

MIdnightRider 10-29-2002 05:07 PM

I guess I am just allot younger than most on this board, speed is it. I can appreciate the appeal of a Cigarette, the nastalja sitting at the docks, but that is sitting. For me I like the look of a Fountain better anyway, And they are just plain faster. They are faster, they are faster, they are faster! I said it three times because thats about how much more money you would have to dump in your Cig motor to run Fountain speeds. Ecspecially on the early to mid 90's rigs which much of us own because they are some what affordable. And what is this rough water ****? In a 42 Fountain, just hammer it and go. Hey if I were Reggie, I would hang up the wig with chin strap and hire Cig's marketing director, or clothing designer at least, I'll give you Cig boys that. But speed=Fountain!!Midnight:cool:

DEVIL MAN 10-29-2002 06:28 PM

OK Midnight Rider....you asked for it, so get it straight...Faster...yes, in a pond. Better bult...read my thread...I was taking it easy on you beak boaters by comparing green to red grapes.....more like black vs. white...I seem to recall the Cigarette Virgin and the Virgin Gladiator winning the world championships in back to back years...so, where do you get faster??? Does safety have anything to do with a better boat, does quality? does leaky fuel tanks? does cracked stringers? does broken down headliners? Last I checked, they called them offshore performance boats, so where do you think these boats should be tested......some five mile long river with a no wake zone????? There are quite a few dummies in the world that can build the faster boats....just drop me a note after these boats are five years old....you probably will need an underwater camera!

The look and the style of a boat is an individual's choice...I can't say anything about that, but when I see the new Fountains with their big family sport windshield????? You really think that is better looking??? Just get in a Fountain and hammer it and go??? You are not serious....don't you want it to last a year or two. Just go to the Fountain thread and read about the dissatisfaction with the Fountain factory and the way it services its customers....some positive thoughts, but I see more negative thoughts!!! So.....faster, faster, faster.....does not equate to better, better, better!!!!! Been down both roads...keep that hammer down all the time....it is good for the economy!!!

Take care and best of luck ;)

DMan

Von Bongo 10-29-2002 06:38 PM

Re: Re: CIG VS. FOUNTAIN

Originally posted by 32fever

What if I own a PLAYBOY Cig???????????? :D

Then you have to spend it Anna Nicole Smith :D

Havasu Cig 10-29-2002 08:24 PM

I am with D-Man on this one...I have said this before but at the DSM Poker Run in 6-8 foot swells and an 86 mile course in the Pacific Ocean we were the second boat to finish behind a 42 Tiger. There were alot of Fountains there that day that were faster that my 80 mph Cig, but they could not run hard enough in the big water to keep up. I ran flat out, tabs up the entire course only backing off the throttles when we were airborne. After driving the new 35 Fountain this past weekend I now know why they could not run with us.

Back4More 10-29-2002 09:01 PM

Originally posted by DEVIL MAN
With the Cigarette....turn key and go....never had a problem with the hull, tanks, stringers, cabin, anything....in the identical water conditions. For my type of boating, that says a lot!!!!!

Again, for me personally in my type of boating conditions...gotta go with the Top Gun...

DMan....and the D is for ...That Cig is Durable!!!!!!

Hey DMan, next time your in Chicago look me up...I'll show you what a 9600 lbs. Fountain with twins and bravos can tackle.

No doubt the 38 Cigs are my favorite 38' boat...I would ride in nothing else.

Bring on Apache feast!:p

joeyoffshore 10-29-2002 09:32 PM

You boys just set off my smoke detector with all the heat that come'n off this thread. I'll tell ya what I do know and that is I got 6-more boat payment to make before my azz is back in the drink.

Capeche.

joey