Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain vs. Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35750-fountain-vs-cigarette.html)

candyman35 10-30-2002 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Back4More

Bring on Apache feast!:p

:D :D :D :D :D

birdog 10-30-2002 07:17 AM

The team Virgin Cigarettes showed everybody up in the rough water !!!! ............Brownie & D-man.....Pretty much said it ALL !

MIdnightRider 10-30-2002 11:30 AM

Here I Go!

First you must consider your criteria, are you talking brand new, or are you talking used. Let me start by saying anyone would be a fool to discount any particular issue with Cig, they are a sweet boat. But If you are buying new with no real budget in mind, be it a 37-38, 42, 47, or 50+ there is only one boat to buy, and its not a Fountain, and is not a Cigarette, its an Outerlimits. There is no question in the new market what to buy if money is no object. My next boat will not be a Fountain it will be an Outerlimits, 37 Stilleto, but save that for another thread. So then we step down a level and examine a large market in the used boat industry, the 80-100k 32+ offshore. This is allot of money for me, it is for most. I cant buy what I really want right now based on dollars(and some *******s that ran a couple of jets into two big building to make some insane political statement) or the slow economy. Now I want a boat that looks good, one that is at least 38', and will be at least as fast as the smaller boat that I just sold 80+mph. Now there are a bundle of choices out there, Cigs, scarabs, Sonics, but I'm seeing boats with even twin 600's that wont run 80. Well I am not buying a 90K boat to dump another 12-15k to get it moving. Then this leads me to Fountain. They are sharp looking, at 10 years old not dated looking, are running 85k-95k and will go 80+ with mild trips all day long. So that is why I now own a Fountain (42 with trip 600's) and it flys. Essentially I passed on the Cig of the same vintage not because it wasn't a good boat, but with even 525's it only runs maybe 70. Any that just is boring in a big boat. As far as water conditions, my boat will run 90 in good choppy water, and 6-8's with fuel and people, it will still run in the 80's not pushing it real hard. That is an incredible boat to drive at high speeds, and there is a huge difference between 70 and 90, let me tell ya. As far as product quality, my boat looks like brand new, my only complaint is cabin height. But I usually mange to drink myself to sleep when we stay on it so I never know the difference. Besides if I wanted a good cabin, I should have bought a Sea Ray. Cigarettes are one of my favorite boats, but they definately lost a little appeal when I started to realize in the used models I was looking at they really were not very fast. I like to go fast, as soon as I went fast in my boat, I wanted to go faster " what I can I do to make this thing go 100". Believe that I am plotting out a winter strategy to see triple digits next summer. In used 90-96 models lets say Fountain=Speed. Midnight:cool:

Helmwurst 10-30-2002 12:28 PM

Ridden in both, worked on both, driven both. Founts/Cigs. 35's, 38's 42's Like all of them. (no steps) Like the freeboard on the Cigs, like the agility on the fountains. My only real complaint on the Fount, is stooping to go into the cabin. The Cig, you always need to a screw driver to tighten up all scews that keep coming loose.

29scarab 10-30-2002 01:05 PM

On a Cig you have to bring a screw driver??????????????

Whats up with that comment??

Biggus 10-30-2002 01:05 PM

I have owned both, a 33' ICBM Fountain and presently own a 38 Top Gun. both are great boats although I feel the Cig is a far superior vessel:D :D :D

Just my not so humble opinion
:p

MIdnightRider 10-30-2002 03:12 PM

Now I thought Screw Driver=older Baja's? I used to go around my old Baja everytime I went out to tighten up everything from cleats, to the dash panel, cockpit liner, everything. I had that snap on rachet screw driver and a snap on rechargable impact screw driver. But I still miss that old boat, though I would not have thought that of a Cig? Midnight

JUSTONCE 10-30-2002 03:27 PM

the screwdriver comment is not a fair comparison fountain screws don't work loose cause the come prerusted into place.:D

rmbuilder 10-30-2002 03:28 PM

Sutphen

IDRPSTF 10-30-2002 03:30 PM

Helmwurst!!! Bring a Screwdriver??? Maybe to prey your fingernails out of the dash while I run hard in the big stuff. I am not suppose to have an opinion considering I sell both, but lets just say certain boats match certain water. And when mother nature decides to make the Pacific a bumpy ride. There is no question what boat I take out!