Notices

Fountain vs. Cigarette

Old 10-30-2002, 03:34 PM
MIdnightRider

IDR- How are boat sales right now? What is selling good? What is that line of boats you have, I think its called Mustang? Midnight

Old 10-30-2002, 03:52 PM
DEVIL MAN

Midnight...now I hear you....in your recent thread, you just added a number of stipulations and conditions that might make the Fountain a more logical choice....at least in your case and in many other cases. I am simply answering the topic of the thread...without the stipulations and conditions. Again, I am not bashing the Fountain product...had one for eight years. I am talking from a perspective of experience...having owned both boats...both being 38 footers...well, one is a 37 and a half and the other was a 34. Along with those two boats, I have driven the following Fountains a number of times due to my past relationship with Dick Simon....I have drilven a 24 Fountain, a 27, a 29 single and a 29 twin, a 32, a 35 with stock power and wild power, a 38 with stock power and wild power and a 38 raised deck, a 42 with twin stock and twin wild and with stock triples and wild triples and have almost 15 hours in the Ohio Steel 42 race boat, a 47 flat deck and a 47 raised deck and a 51 triple with surface drives. On the Cigarette end, I have driven a number of 35's, a number of 38's and a couple of 42 Tigers. Besides seat time, I have been able to observe how these boats handle the ocean water and how well they hold up.....again, I am just speaking from my experiences, I have yet to see a two year old Fountain that gets used in offshore conditions that doesn't have stress cracks, structural damage or leaky fuel tanks....just the way it is with a mass constructed boat. This information was gathered long before the startup of OSO....reading this site for the past couple of years just confirms what I have experienced and found out first hand. Because I have owned both boats and ridden them hard in the Pacific is the reason I replied to this thread....it is something that I am comfortable talking about. Hope my comments makes sense.....yours does to me. Take care.

DMan

Old 10-30-2002, 04:15 PM
MIdnightRider

DM-How fast was that Ohio Steel Boat? With your obvious knowledge and having seen many fountains did or have you noticed that crack in the front left of the cockpit lip in many boats. That would be my only structural complaint, my old 42 had that crack, the one I have now has it, and my buddy's has it. What do you think causes it? Midnight

Last edited by MIdnightRider; 10-30-2002 at 05:34 PM.

Old 10-30-2002, 04:15 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Whattttt???

There is really no comparison. Cigarette is Cigarette and Fountain is Fountain.

But I like Cigarette better, higher freeboard, classic lines.

This is like comparing a 69' Camaro to a new Honda Civic.

Midnight, I am curious to see what your project is going to be? As I mentioned before, get rid of that solid cam, go for a roller set-up and put on some Merlin Heads. I be you make close to 700hp. with just that alone.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:17 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Midnight, did they ever fix the cracked stringer in the engine compartment?
Old 10-30-2002, 04:25 PM
MIdnightRider

Panther my pm wont work. Cracked stringer? I think either it is fixed ,or I missed it. Let me know where you think it is so I can double check during my winter refab. I'm thinking about boxes, along with head work via JIM V. I will also be remoldeling Frankensteins basement , that place where those motors sit.

Please feel free to enlighten me to any other possible areas of interest. I started with stereo upgrades on my list when I bought it, now I am at about 15k and 5000 man hours worth of work. And the boat still runs and looks great, go figure.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:23 PM
DEVIL MAN

MidnightRider....I know the crack that you are talking about...I am not a structural expert and I cannot answer that question....I heard that it had something to do with the radius of the curve and the depth of the fiberglass....pure speculation...sorry.

Concerning the old Ohio Steel boat...a buddy of mine bought it three or four years ago and completely refurbished the entire boat...from bow to stern....every hose, pipe, nut and screw was replaced...the hull was painted, patched up and blueprinted, the entire interior, upholstry, gauges, wire...the whole works...close to a $400,000 refurbishment. The boat was renamed NADA CHANCE after my friends company. It was absolutely beautiful and he let me run it in the 2000 Catalina Ski Race.

It was a fairly heavy boat....staggered with 850's to 900's...an absolute work of art. It was absolutely the sweetest ride I have ever been in!!! Rock solid...not one vibration when you hit a swell or wave, it just busted right through the water...had a forward water tank for the rough stuff with monster offshore plates. It went in the high 90's....just the best ride ever. Had a three man cockpit bolster seating arrangement with no extra room to breathe or relax...a true racing setup.

Not practical for pleasure use, but for that one time ride....it was the best!!!!! I think it is still for sale at Dick Simon Marine and if someone wanted the most awesome Catalina Ski Race Boat or an awesome poker run boat, this is the animal!!!!! Again, everything on it was completely redone or brand spanking new!

Take care...DMan

Old 10-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DSM got rid of Nada Chance about a month ago. That was probably one of the nicest looking Fountains I have seen. They had a lay out on it in Family And Performance Boating Magazine a couple months ago.

Last edited by Havasu Cig; 10-30-2002 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:33 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Devil Man and Midnight...great stuff without bashing each other's product. That's what makes this board great, different points of view, each has merits. Midnights comments make perfect sense as does D-Mans. I guess it comes down to what you have a need for.

D-Man...How does the deadrise and entry angles differ on the boats? Does that account for the different rides in the rough?
Old 10-31-2002, 11:44 AM
DEVIL MAN

Indy.....the back four feet or so of a Fountain has a flat pad, so when you are running at close to full speed the boat sits on the pad which gives it more speed....the only downfall to the pad is while running in a rough water environment and flying the boat, the Fountain lands on this flat surface which creates a harder landing....to some degree...just depends on how rough and bumpy it is.

The Cigarette is a true deep V....all the way to the transom, so when you air the Cig and land, it knifes through the water on re-entry which gives you an easy landing without any jolts. This just creates a different ride in the two boats.

The other major difference in comparing my two boats is that the Cigarette is just over 2,000 pounds heavier which really makes a difference in the medium to nasty conditions.

Hope this makes sense.

DMan

Quick Reply: Fountain vs. Cigarette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.