If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Charter Member Charter Member 32fever's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37 Outerlimits & PowerPlay 185
    Granger, IN
    Originally posted by Too Old
    Different boats for different people or conditions.

True deep vee carrying to the transom=best ride known to man.

Pad towards the transom= more speed with less power.

Both nice boats and both have their attributes.

As far as quality goes, there is no way Fountain goes to the extremes that Cigarette does. But hey, they don't go to those extremes in teir pricing either. That' is not to say that Fountains are of poor quality. Just lesser quality and a good value. I suspect Fountains quality is more than adequate for most, but not all of their owners.

I like em both....they're just different. Choices are good.
    I see your point, but the last 42 Tiger I looked at had runs in the paint. My Fountain doesn't. So, generally speaking, your statement is true, as Cig is custom, Fountain is not. But, a half-assed job can be accomplished by anyone, from a manufacturer, painter etc.

When you own a business and employees do things, you learn that poop happens, and unless QC is 100%, things can get missed.

BINGO! You said it, bro. It's all about what you're looking for. You're a smart guy (gulp,cough, hack) LOL! j/k

Also, I doubt there is any boat made that doesn't need the screws tightened on it at some point.

I also see the way the initial poster of this thread is leaning

My Boats:
    Whatever you missed your payment on
    In your driveway while you sleep
    NADA CHANCE was renamed GOTTA CHANCE and Carlo Cassi skied behing it this year with Scot Conrad driving. They took Third overall in the Catalina Ski Race.
    Midnight, What do you want to know about the Mustang Boats. I have alot of time in them in some BAD SEA'S. The Assies built a great boat. As for D-Mans opinions on the different boats, lets just say he is one of the few locals I dont dispute with. The rest of you are fair game To respect OSO I will not give out a big list of the lines I carry untill they get my advertising check. It is unfair to those who have paid for this service. Lets just say I carry all the Best!!!

32Fever....Sometimes I even surprise myself! And you are right about the screws....they all need tightening or a big dab of epoxy on the screw tip.

Sorry about Nada is now Gotta Chance and like I said, it is one sweet ride....the stringer system forward of the cokcpit is a work of art!!!!!!

Have fun boys!

My Boats:
    2000 28 Skater
    Southern Maryland
    How does the new cigs w/twin steps compare to the fountains, I have not heard anyone speak of them. The 35 Cig twin step has a listed weight of 8800 pounds wich is pretty close to the 35 fountain twin step. Which boat is faster with similar speed and do the new cigs ride as well in rough water as the older hulls did. I know one big difference is in the price of the two. When cig re designed their hull did the lose the ride performance (I heard it did increase the speed of about 8-10 mph vs. the old hull with similar power)

Dammit! I was hoping to go this entire day thinking I knew everything in the world. I was sure on the weight differences on the two boats but didn't catch Cig center line, V, all the way to the transom. Part of my happiness with the Fountain is comparing it to my 27 Baja I ran in big water, and mean some crazy lk MI water, for 5 years. The Fountain seems like a solid missle in 6's. I ran in my buddies Apache and other big V's before buying one ( thats why I bought one) but it is hard to really judge a boat until you have been at the helm for awhile to get a feel for how the boat reacts. Lake MI stirs up some rough sloppy stuff that can be a challenge to a driver and his timing. I going to half to get someone to let me drive a 37 Stiletto, I really want to know what that boat feels like.

This board on occasion looses it true focus now and then when people begin to forget it is a great place for the sharing of information. I have met more nice people here, learned more about boats here, and passed more quality time at Open Houses reading and writing here than I care to acknowledge. Thanks to all those sane, insane, knowledgable, funny, and sick individuals on this board that have a good time and do not make everthing a personal fight or battle. MIdnight

Besides if just five years ago you would have told me I would own a 90mph 42' boat I would have probably died laughing. Thank you Lord

Great thoughts and ideas MidnightRider...You can take someone out in six foot seas and they will tell the next guy that your boat runs like **** and it is a rough ride!!! Then you take that guys neighbor out on your boat on one of those tranquil, calm days and he goes back to the other guy and says your boat runs and rides like a freakin Cadilac!!!! There are so many variables involved in boating...size, weight, power, conditions, driver, etc.

Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Boats:
    Top Gun
    Batavia Oh.
    If i was looking at "New" There is NO way i could justify what Cig gets for a boat !! But since i always buy used...It helps me when it comes time to sell !!! My first Offshore ride was on a Cig with a guy who is "Ate up with Cigs" !!!! I guess it rubbed off on me...

This has been a GREAT thread....A little good natured kidding but no Big egos getting uglie !!! This could be a fun winter...

My Boats:
    1994 36 Apache
    Northeast MD
    BACK4MORE, Is the lake really that calm ? my choice the cig.they have some APACHE in their blood lines.

Member #2 ....Jeeezz Charter Member cigarette1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Toy Boat - Toy Boat - Toy Boat
    Kicked to the curb
    Hey ... Apache has some Cigarette in THEIR bloodlines

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Didn't want to stir the pot any more, but what the hell it almost winter, here goes:

You've discussed the merits and deficiencies of each boat including weight, ride, beam, hull design, performance, balance, price, suitability, cabin space, style, on and on, right?

One final question:
    Which one would you rather have if you were say halfway between the Bahamas and Florida and the weather turned deadly unexpectedly. 25-30 knot winds, 10-12 foot seas, you know. Remember, you're life may depend on it?...

Let's hear it...Inquiring minds are awaiting.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast