Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT - Stereo Upgrades (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35752-ot-stereo-upgrades.html)

Dock Holiday 10-28-2002 04:21 PM

OT - Stereo Upgrades

Guys, I am very unhappy with the so-called premium stereo that came in my boat.

The head unit is Clarion and I think it is a good unit. I would like to keep it and replace ALL the speakers and amps.

Looking for some recomendations on speakers and amps as for brand, series etc. that you guys have found to work well in a marine environment and that look nice.

Currently I have 4 tweeters, 2 ten inch speakers, 4 five inch speakers and two cross overs in the cockpit area. I want to replace all of them with the same size speakers to fill the holes.

There are two amps in the cuddy, not sure of brand or rating, they need to go, there is one Clarion powered sub in the cuddy, and two small cube type speakers.

Help me lay out something that will rock!:D

Thanks Mark

Smitty 10-28-2002 04:27 PM

I'm sure Audiofn will chime in soon and get ya goin' in the right direction. I think there is another guy around named Frank??? He'll probably add to that as well.

Hang tight!!!!

VelocityMark 10-28-2002 04:37 PM

:D Dock

I can't believe that you have not talked to barry (lake slut) yet he is prety smart on that stuff good luck.

Mark

Havasu Hangin 10-28-2002 05:01 PM

Well, I'll throw my 2 cents in...

...I just upgraded to 4 MB Quart Nautic separates that I got from Andy Buzz on the boards...those speakers are nothing short of amazing. Very precise, and a decent amount of mid-bass for and I/B setup.

Andy hooked me up, when others couldn't get the speakers. You would need to enlarge the holes, but IMHO, you should consider that for any separates you purchase, as the 6 1/2" components are generally louder than the 5 1/4".

As for the subs, I am running 4 Infinity Perfect 10's in a .65 cu box each. Those subs work well for boats, because they don't require really big boxes, and offer some water resistance. (poly).

I am running all JBL amps...IMHO, the best $/watt out there...

My system will move the hair on your arms...not bad for some little 10's in a 23' boat... ;)

It's been my experience that subs in the cockpit will hit harder than subs in the cuddy, which sound "boomier". I think your choice of subs will depend on how much room you have to work with.

Strip Poker 388 10-28-2002 08:08 PM

SP

my hustler came with the 6 1/4 poly planar ,the tweaters burned out on 6 of them . they replaced them , i just dont turn them up as loud any more, had a friend had same prob also.

liquid asset 10-28-2002 09:04 PM

The X series head unit is great, My buddy has a 01 33 outlaw and his system is as follows 2- rockford fosgate db1500 on the subs 2- power 800.4 on mids and tweets, 6- 61/2'' mb quart components and 4 JL audio 8'' micro subs all hidden in the sides of the cockpit the amps are in the cab. under the sink, it freakn' rocks

Andy Buzz 10-28-2002 09:21 PM

I just sold my 36 Outlaw and can certainly suggest a tried a tested system. In the front, I suggest a pair of BAAB 10 inch full range speakers in the lower kicks. I also suggest a pair of MBQuart speakers up front ( 6 1/2 inch ) to bring our some clarity. I have a great spot for two ten inch subwoofers in a 36 Outlaw that is completely hidden and does not take any storage space away. In the rear I usually go with a couple of pairs of BAABS. For amplification, Rockford Fosgate is the most durable and uses the least energy to run. The BD series of amps are efficient and powerful.

I have tons of amps, subs, and speakers in stock for car, boat or home theatre and will help out any OSO member with advice or a great deal. Feel free to contact me at (813)882-8477 with whatever you need.

Andy Buzz

Griff 10-28-2002 11:34 PM

I have Babb 4 Babb 6x9's in my boat and they are fantastic. They put out a chitload of base----so much so that there is a warning about making sure they are mounted securely for this reason. They have good high and mids also. I got them from Audiofn and was very impressed.

Wellby 10-29-2002 12:14 AM

The Babb are a very nice speaker. If you use them, I would suggest using a pair or two pair of component tweeters.

dkwestern 10-29-2002 12:51 AM

I am also looking at upgrading the system. I have seen that the Baab speakers are all loud speakers that give a huge range of music, even the 10 in. from like 30 - 1,000 khz, instead of the typical subs ranging from 25 - 200. Does the bass still sound good on the speakers with that kind of range? I know they are much cheaper than something like an alumapro sub. Anybody running those, I have read alot on them and they seem like a awesome sub for a boat. just asking thanks. DK