Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   True Length (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35899-true-length.html)

PhantomChaos 10-30-2002 07:21 PM

<<<<---------------------------------8"--------------------------------->>>>

SABER28 10-30-2002 07:34 PM

i'm thinking a 8 foot plywood sheet for a swim platform, that gets me up to 36 and the ultra rare EXTENDA-BOW option for five more feet to get a 41:D

Tinkerer 10-31-2002 07:12 PM

MY 34 SCARAB is 34 ft without the platform and about 36 with.

Panther 10-31-2002 07:56 PM

????????

Originally posted by later
fountain and most all other manufactures measured from the bow to the back of the transom, thats why in 89-90 with fountain there were 33, 36, 40, then in 91 the industry changed the way that they measure boats, so then fountain changed the boat models to 35,38,42 to coincide with the new measuring standards. if the swim platform is actually molded into the hull it is counted with the lenght
later
Dave

Later, I always thought that fountain changed the 40 (12 Meter) to a 42' when they added the swim platform, not when they changed the way of measuring boats???

What about the old days of measuring boats from the transom to the bow eye???? boy boats would be small!!!

ragtop409 10-31-2002 08:03 PM

Re: ????????

Originally posted by Panther

What about the old days of measuring boats from the transom to the bow eye???? boy boats would be small!!!

that would be fare or weted surface like posted earlier.
My 23' is 25 including the bolt on glass swimm step but only 21' at the bow eye and 15' at water surface. Call it what you want I think Wellcraft was fair calling it a 23'. Charlie

Back4More 10-31-2002 08:11 PM

Thats it im sellin my Fountain to buy an Apache...no one ****s with them.

BryanTuvell 10-31-2002 08:23 PM

Very interesting;
My thoughts are size does matter, boating and sex.
Weight in the forward part of the hull does matter in rough water, I never heard that mentioned, smooth water is a mute point except for speed, brain vibration is important! My 26ZX is almost 7000 pounds. Yes I have the scales tickets, long story.

How much does a 29 or 30 something fountain weigh?

I like others here have skewed measurements, 26.5 is really 27.2 OA, but I have more in the water than most for the same size class, bottom of transom forward 25 ish..
Very interesting topic.
Bryan

Panther 10-31-2002 08:24 PM

40 Footer

Cash, I would definetely say you have a 40 footer. 4" is close enough.

Besides when manufacturers make their boats within inches of the next foot, I believe it is fair enough to label a boat a 38' when it actually measures 37' 11". Plus it's easier for marketing.

PhantomChaos 11-01-2002 01:14 AM

Originally posted by Too Old
This argument about length has been going on around here since day 1.

Who cares?

People buy the boat that best fits their circumstance. Probably a combination of size that works, money and styling. I don't think it matters if it's called a 30 or a 32.

As far as the Fountain beak, I don't believe it was added to get more bucks for the boat. It is part of Fountains distinct styling.

I happen to love the beak and the styling of a Fountain. They look fast and they are fast.

Too Old:

Sounds like the typical argument from someone that is "length challenged". :D :D :D :D :D (just messing with ya)

birdog 11-01-2002 07:17 AM

Back4More.....How true !!!! NOBODY questions APACHE !!!

Hey Fred !!!! You gonna let Chaos get away with that !!:D