Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   True Length (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35899-true-length.html)

KAAMA 11-01-2002 11:42 AM

I think Baja Daze is doing a very good job with the illustrasions he's using. I think that pretty much sums it up when it come to true running length. To me built-in swim platforms and extended bow pulpets or beeks or whatever you want to call them is a way of artificially lengthening a boat. I have added extension boxes to my boat and in some ways that is a way of artificially lengthening a boat too. However, I don't tell people my boat is a foot longer than what it really is. I will admit that even though my A/T is actually only 31'8", I usually refer it to a 32 footer. Interesting topic.

32fever 11-01-2002 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Jayl13
Not the same boat, cause if it was, Outerlimits would be Outerbusiness!Jason
Or "Innylimits" Ba dump ping. :D

You're right Jason, it's all about being out there and having fun. WhileI thikn of upgrading to a bigger, faster boat myself, I can't help but think back.

When we got rid of the 27 Baja, we were heart broken. A couple years later, we got our 32 Fountain. We love it, too, but I think "are we really having that much more fun with this one over the other?" Not really. The only difference is we venture farther and out it worse weather (not sure if that's smart or not), but we can make it to and from in 5'ers now, where before we did not even venture out. I can't help but wonder if a larger boat will be better or not. Or, jsut make us that much dumber to go out in bigger water:D 6'ers plus, we should just stay home. And, nobody else wants to venture out, either. No group runs then.

But in calm water, I'd rather have my old 250ES payment than my current one. Same amount of fun in that regard. in fact, the 250ES launched easier, too! :D:D:D It was more fun in 2'-3'ers if you wanted it to be.

And to me, maybe I'm the odd one out here, but 60 mph in the 25 Baja sure "seemed" faster than 75 in the 32 Fountain. (at least in reasonable waters where you could run WOT)

Mark

Jayl13 11-01-2002 12:07 PM

Well my speedo is all banged up and I dont believe what it says honestly but my boat for the one run I did with the rpm's up around 4400 was cruising at 60 and man let me tell you I was scared, this is a heavy boat and when she goes up, man she GOES UP
but comes down heavy too.
Have to watch that re-entry or I swear those drives are history.
I pull back on the throttles all the way when I feel like im up there.
damn Yachts and their 20 foot wakes behind them.
60 or so it said seemed fast to me, but then again this boat is all new to me so I need more seat time.
that was only a quick blast up to that and then backed down to about 40 or so mph
One thing I can tell you about bigger boats that is much better than mid range/size is when you go to get on plane, my boat is horrible, front stands up, I mean 45* angle and takes about 10 or so seconds to come on plane, man you cant see spit , totally blind -- I wont get moving unless I know there is NO ONE around me or any of those little tart kart wave runners.
once she is up she is good, no problems.
I have fun with it which is what matters, now if the dyno shows the engines are A-OK next saturday, then im really going to be happy!
Oh yeah, maybe I should call my engine doofus and see if he can allow me to pick up my engines today or tomorrow!
Would be nice to have them for dyno day next week.
Jason

KAAMA 11-01-2002 12:23 PM

32Fever,

I have often thought of perhaps going to something larger than my 32'A/T----actually I am looking and considering something in the 38-41' range myself as I speak. BUT I keep thinking to myself that when it's rough out there I certainly don't see any of the BIGGER BAD #SSES out there either----unless someone has to get from point "A" to point "B", EVERONE generally likes it when it's calm and that's when you see everyone out on their boats-----large and small. Everyone likes the calmer waters---that's where 99% of the activity is.

mr_velocity 11-01-2002 01:03 PM

Originally posted by KAAMA
32Fever,

I have often thought of perhaps going to something larger than my 32'A/T----actually I am looking and considering something in the 38-41' range myself as I speak. BUT I keep thinking to myself that when it's rough out there I certainly don't see any of the BIGGER BAD #SSES out there either----unless someone has to get from point "A" to point "B", EVERONE generally likes it when it's calm and that's when you see everyone out on their boats-----large and small. Everyone likes the calmer waters---that's where 99% of the activity is.

I guess I'm not everyone. Big water is a blast and is why I own an offshore boat.

KAAMA 11-01-2002 01:37 PM

mr Velocity,

I have been out there in some rough stuff with my little 32'A/T...I remember last year (2001) on Laber Day weekend which is one of the last and biggest boating days of the year, on the Saturday of that weekend we were headed from the port of St.Joseph to Michigan City (35 miles one way) and it was about 75* and barely a cloud in the sky and and the waves were at about 4-6 feet and close that day. We went all the way to Michigan City without spotting ONE other offshore boat...not even the big boys were out that day that I could see anyway. We say maybe two Cruisers and two blow boats that were over 50' in length or so from what I could tell. The next day and it was another nice warm sunny day and Lake Michigan had laid right down. It was flatter than a board and everyone and their mother was out there. You and I are a rare breed, but even I generally like it when it not so ruff out there there that no one else is even out there to have a little fun with.

CigDaze 11-01-2002 01:49 PM

I have to agree with you Kaama...There's a time and place to run hard in the rough and is a blast at the right times, sometimes I want it to be good 2-3' chop, but generally, the calmer days are more enjoyable. Especially with the wife and/or guests on board.

There's just so much pounding one's body can take...

LOL! "Little 32' boat"

:cool:

birdog 11-01-2002 02:09 PM

If it is flat i just go from A to B.....Rough water...I'll run all day !!!
What a ball !!!! Love that "air" time !!!

If I wanted a flat water boat I sure would'nt have this big sled...

CigDaze 11-01-2002 02:11 PM

Bigger boats make a world of difference.:)

Air time is great...I love it too...But when you get the wind knocked out of you and your back is compressed beyond human limits......we've all been there.

cigarette1 11-01-2002 02:15 PM

I pray to the Rough Water Gods for BIG water everytime I plan to go out. :eek: That's why I bought a Cigarette :cool: