Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   True Length (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35899-true-length.html)

32fever 10-30-2002 10:25 AM

True Length

So, I'm reading in another thread....about true XX' boats.

WEll, Fountains get a bad rap on this board, but it's interesting to read this. Other boats as well, but true length is brought up many times.

Why are boats with swim platforms called "a 29' boat that you pay 32' $$ for" (Shorgasm's good ole' bust on my boat as an example)

Why don't we call those boats, XX' and call the ones without a swim platform a "llong XX' boat"

For example, a 38 Fountain is apparently to many on this board a 35' boat with beak and platform. But, to the same folks on OSO, 38' Cig is a 38' boat. Why is the Cig not a "long 37' boat"?

And actually, the OAL of a 38 Fountain is 38', a 38' Cig is 37'6". So, really a 38 Cig is not 38' either.

A 32' Fountain is 32' long, a 32' Active Thunder is 31'8". Why isn't the Thunder a "long 32' boat"?

Why does it always have to be "that boat isn't XX', it's shorter". Why can't it be the other way around?

So, I think Formula has it figured out. How long is a 382 FasTech? LOL!

Just some thoughts from my feeble little mind.

Mark

SummerObsession 10-30-2002 10:31 AM

All I know is my "true length" is just over 8" .....without a beak!:eek: ;) :D

j/k:D

birdog 10-30-2002 10:47 AM

Formula includes the platform also... When I tell people my boat is a 31 {Bullet} They dont believe it !!! It is 31'8" Without a platform. Sooooo to compare It must be a 33 !!!!!:D

bn 10-30-2002 10:49 AM

I think it has a lot to do with whether the swim platform is integrated or not. Usually if there is a swim platform on a Cigarette or AT, it is a bolt on aluminum one and it's an option. The manufacturer states it size w/o the platform. The beak is another story.:D

Dock Holiday 10-30-2002 11:01 AM

32 Fever,

I had a Baja 272 which was equal to their 25 Outlaw. With the swim platform moulded in the Coast Guard requires it to be added into the overall boat length. So the 27 with a fiberglass moulded swim platform was equal to the 25 with a bolt on swim platform that was not counted in the overall length.

Now that I have a 36 Outlaw with the bolt on swim platform, I am impressed with how much boat I have compared to others. I have rafted up with two 38 Fountains and recently with a 38 Sonic. My boat is every bit as big, but it is only considered a 36 foot boat.

I would not let anyone bust your chops over the actual size of the boat. Fountain does come up a little short when you have to factor both the swim platform and the beck, but they make up for it in other ways. They are not trying to pull anything, this is just how they have to be measured.

Mark

Interceptor 10-30-2002 11:08 AM

Obviously overall length is measured differently by manufacturers and it impacts true cabin size, deck space, engine room space etc.
What would be interesting is hull waterline length. That dimension should have some bearing on time to reach plane since a greater waterline length means more wetted area. Or am I all wet !

ed

CigDaze 10-30-2002 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dock put it very well.

This might quite possibly be the reason: (see pic)

It's manufacturer's preference. Some measure Wetted surface hull length...Some measure from the very tip of the molded-in swim platform to the bow pulpit.

HiPerf2000 10-30-2002 11:14 AM

I agree with BN. It's all if the platform is molded in. Since many manufactures (styles without molded platforms) offer a platform as an option, they can't really include the platform in the length of the boat.

Although checkmate has done this with thier 25 convincor model....(Bolt on platform)...went from model # 259 to 270. they now 'include' the bolt on in the OAL. I personally think it's wrong....and it's thier way of raising the prices on the new boats making you believe you are buying a 'bigger' boat, when in fact they are the same boat.

BAJA WILL 10-30-2002 11:45 AM

32 Fever,

I see your point and everyone elses, but dont worry about it, I have a 27 or maybe its a 26 oh and some say 25. Guess what. from 25-27, I hang and usually pass all of them, power for power.

Will

Helmwurst 10-30-2002 11:52 AM

Centerlines are determined by Coast Guard rules on "molded" parts. If it bolts on, it is not counted in the overall length. If it is molded on, from the mold, it is counted.
Water length does make some differnce within 2-4 feet, but the real difference is in the bottom configuration and the balance of the boat. When I sold my "true" 32 and bought an "extended" 35, there was no comparison. The 35 "beak" runs true and lands soft, no pounding, no porpoising overall beter ride and faster and weght is 500lbs more.