Notices

AO Cat

Old 11-01-2002, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey Quiet

Whats the HP rating. A 30 spectre will do 110 w 2x 500efi's ?(470hp) probably a little faster with some dialing in. If you need to go faster why not do it with a hull thats not working against you. I do like the name though!

There may be one for sale at Jay's shop. Give him a ring.

www.spectrepowerboats.com

Tell him Maximus sent you over.

Maximus

Catmando- all that hp and only 114??????
Old 11-01-2002, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maximus

The motors are rated 675hp each. I'll take a look at Spectre but the price on this AO will fit my budget.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The Eliminator Daytonas will spray over the top when going over waves @ 30 - 50 mph and they are smother ride at 70+. The only time you should get wet is when accelerating or stopping.

Last edited by rbtnt; 11-01-2002 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Registered

Default quiet

I think you will be impressed.

675 x 2 in a 30 spectre would put you in the upper 120s. with unbelievable acceleration

and no spray

Maximus
Old 11-01-2002, 08:24 PM
merlin540

if the drives stay on it. those boats are just like skaters with bravos. they wont hold up.

Old 11-02-2002, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maximus

The Spectre is a great looking boat but I think the AO would work better for me. If speed was all that I was after that may be a better choice. I want something with a little bit of a cabin and a secure ride. I guess 115 would have to do.

I heard th XR drives tend to blow seals but a $60.00 kit would fix that problem.

Hey 29, I thought you would of run back to the warm weather in TX by now. Were you walking by the power plant or boating. The last time I was there I got yelled at by a guard. Its too bad, that was a great place to hang out.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Catmando

I spoke to Jim at AO. He was very helpfull even though I was asking about a used boat from another person. He offered info on the motors and I asked if they would make a swim platform for for the boat. He said that it would be no problem. I understand that Fastcats (Scott is his name?) is easy to talk to also. This is refreshing, the more I learn the better it gets.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:19 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Quiet Storm,

Its getting a little chilly up here. The only problem with the weather is, I have my girlfriend and her daughter up here and their not used to the cold.

Me, on the other hand, I worked in Chicago for almost 3 years and its not cold to me yet!!

But, thanks form asking!!!

As far as the plant thing goes, when your the plant electrical engineer you just remind them who's paying thier salary!!!!
Old 11-02-2002, 07:09 AM
Registered

I have a friend with a 30 spectre with twin500 hp's, it does 103 to 106{radar}
nice boat, the ride is not the best, it has shallow freeboard and a narrow beam it does have a little bounce to it also at slower speeds, and you will get a little wet at slow speeds and on some turns, I have also been in a 28 eliminator with twin 496 mags nice boat with a cabin it was not the low profile, has a good ride, I liked it better than the 30 spectre, and I have been on a 31 american, they have some mods done that the older boats do not have {chris cat} the american has more freeboard and a cabin, it rides very nice and is a better boat in the rough than the spectre{30} this is my 2 cents buy the american offshore you will love it
Old 11-02-2002, 07:25 AM
Registered

Default I agree

I understand about the cabin and I know Jay puts small cabins in some of the 30's.

Secure ride. there is a reason the AO "spits" at you. Hull design. All I have to say is do your homework get inside...workmanship and quality of product will tell the whole story. When you take a turn does the AO lean in or out? Cat builders come from two different camps with regard to hull "flex" where does AO stand? Why? At the very least go for a ride in a couple of different cats before you write the check.

T2x would probably be able to help us here. Although I know he only prefers the reigning "king of boats" he may be able to offer some thoughts. He's seen what happens to boats over 100 plus when things go wrong.

Look.. the AO is a nice machine albeit a little "clunky and dated" in design.

Speed may not be everything to you but your pushing a lot of hp through those drives. 675 hp through a drive that was origionaly designed for 300hp.

I'm turning 470 through XR's with sportmaster lowers.. I have lost both uppers and replaced the seals on both. Seals are backordered till late Nov. getting a new XR drive replaced under Warranty takes approx 3-4 wks. Are you sure your making a wise decision. 2 mo's of summer could dissappear quickly. Less HP to go just as fast. If not under Warranty your difference in price could dissappear quickly.

I will say Mercury has been fantastic about standing by their product. Really first class!!!

Maximus

ps. It will be 80 degrees here today and I'm taking the boat out around 2pm....Catch a quick flight!! you too catmando!

Last edited by Maximus; 11-02-2002 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: AO Cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.