Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is america going to pot (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35950-america-going-pot.html)

SABER28 10-30-2002 09:13 PM

skat

how can you justify one being legal and the other one not?

BTW i do not smoke pot and only rarely have a few drinks.

problems start when govt. makes laws that it cannot enforce. look at the crime that is caused by drugs, the more they fight it, the more expensive it becomes, the more it will lure somebody into growing or selling it, because profits are there. it's a visious circle.

european countries have legalized certain drugs and i dont see a problem there

ASD-6 10-30-2002 09:14 PM

Hmmm, I'll make the popcorn for this one, I have the munchies ;)

Category6 10-30-2002 09:23 PM

If the Us was to legalize pot, would it remove the crime factor? If it is legal, would people be killing each other over it? Probably not, Or would it be like beer, just go into the store and make your purchase and let Uncle Sam make his tax money...They say the war on drugs isn't working, so should we go with the "if you can't beat em, join em attitude?"

Allan4 10-30-2002 09:25 PM

Skat, just what I want.....stored THC in my system....or the system of the guy behind me in driving the 18 wheeler. No, pot should not be legalized, no matter what efffect other drugs or alcohol have on the system. Can you make an arguement for it, yes you can. Is it convincing, yes somewhat. Does that mean it should be freakin legal...POT!?!?!?! No way guys, no way. Perhaps for medicinal purposes, not for recreational.

skat 10-30-2002 09:32 PM

As was in another thread: Common Sense
Two wrongs don't make a right. I'm not for govt. involvement in my life. Don't believe I should be told to wear a seat belt for my own good. Did you read my post? I don't think pot is worse than alcohol. I would rather have my child driving stoned (given the option of the two). I hope that their own Common Sense stops them from doing either. But why would we change the laws already in effect to make the problem worse? I don't think it would make it better. I have no desire to move to Europe and don't feel the need to emulate any of their cultural actions.

Obituary of Mr. Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, by the name of Common Sense.
Common Sense lived a long life but died recently in the United States. No
one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost
in bureaucratic red tape.

He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes,
factories helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For
decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over
Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to
know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and
that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more
than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not
the kids), and it's okay to come in second. A veteran of the Industrial
Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common
Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing,
whole language, and "new math." But his health declined when he became
infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus.

In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of
well intentioned but overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good
people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated
when schools endlessly implemented zero tolerance policies.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a
classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and
a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his
condition. It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent
to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parent when a
female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became
contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment
than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from the
Boy Scouts to professional sports.

Finally, when people, too stupid to realize that a steaming cup of coffee
was hot, were awarded a huge settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept
informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those
for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his
wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is
survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and Ima Whiner. Not many attended
his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

cuda 10-30-2002 09:55 PM

I think that ah.......umm......what were we talking about?? Oh yeah, something about THC staying in the brain....was that right......??????:)

Actually, I don't smoke pot, cuts into my drinking time!;)

I get tarded and start seeing Egyptian Temples, and hearing farm animals.:(

Allan4 10-30-2002 09:59 PM

Skat, I like that reading, I remember it from earlier this year.....I think it was this year, anyway, I remember reading it here on OSO.

I think you took my post wrong, or, I wrote it wrong. I should made a second paragraph. You and I agree totally, however, I was stating that THC, the main intoxifying chemical in pot, is a bad thing to have in your system, no matter how bad other things are for you. At that point I should have started a new paragraph because it appears I am still speaking to you, yet I am actually adddressing all the people ( refed to them as "guys") who are for legalization.

Sorry about the mix up, hope this clears it up. I too am for little to no government intervention in our lives. That's why I disagree with liberalism. Thanks, later, Allan

skat 10-30-2002 10:18 PM

I agree Too Old but 1),2),3), get you to 4) Possession of x amount with intent to distribute. Where do you draw the line?
Cocaine a recreational drug, eXtacy...
We can have a heated face to face discussion (legally) but when you reach out and pop me, you've broken the law. It is all a matter of degree.

skat 10-30-2002 10:31 PM

Allan4,
I was replying to Saber28 asking why alcohol and not pot, yea for Europe post. Not yours. I see the goods and evils of both sides just like you. I too just believe the evil out weighs the goods and therefore come down on that side.

Iggy 10-31-2002 05:52 AM

Allen4 wrote:
Skat, just what I want.....stored THC in my system....or the system of the guy behind me in driving the 18 wheeler.
That guy in the 18 wheeler riding your bumper is probably on stronger drugs just trying to stay awake. Wouldn't be surprised if he washed the pills down with a couple of beers and a shot.

I know a portion of the active ingredient stays with you for a while. A piss test will show pot for three to six weeks after smoking. The new test is to take a hair sample and check that. Depending on the length of your hair it can show drug use for the past six months.

I first had pot when I was fourteen. Smoked regularly up till about six years ago (I'm now 47). I only stopped because it got too expensive and Florida's "no tolerance" law is real stiff. I stand to loose everything I own over a couple of fingers of weed. It's just not worth it.

Legalize it?
Damn straight!
The majority of the world has decriminalized it, why shouldn't we?
Have it controlled just like alcohol and tobacco.