OT - small claims court next Tuesday >

OT - small claims court next Tuesday

Notices

OT - small claims court next Tuesday

Old 11-06-2002, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, how 'bout an update???

(If he doesn't reply, we should probably start taking up a collection for BAIL!!! )
Old 11-06-2002, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by KaamaScarab30
Well, how 'bout an update??? (If he doesn't reply, we should probably start taking up a collection for BAIL!!! )

Here's a shocker - I have another court date! The guy came in with a lawyer who tried to file a motion to dismiss (claiming the engine builder was the party who should be sued) - and the judge ***** slapped her - saying in effect, nope, your client needs to PROVE he isn't responsible. Then she tries to have one of the cases thrown out (my good buddy is also suing for property loss for stuff that was in the Blazer), and the judge looks at her like she's an idiot and denies her request I'll give her credit, she tried to squirm every which way she could, but the judge wasn't buying any of it.
Finally she requested that she be allowed to supeona the engine builder, mandatory mediation, and a six person jury trial.

Next court date is Jan. 6th, 2003. Good thing I'm not in any hurry for justice, huh?

But hey...if you guys want to send donations so I can get my stereo reinstalled, I'm all for it!!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:55 PM
Registered

Only in America. Speedy swift justice.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Registered

CALIFORNIA SOLUTION: Sue Everyone!!!
Old 11-06-2002, 05:30 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

G, did you know that most insurance companies will not pay for theft or damage to "aftermarket car stereos" unless you notify them of what was installed and the cost right after ytou install it .

They usually make you take out a "rider" for the aftermarket stereo stuff due to the enormous cost and likelyhood of it being stolen. They do that because there are folks out there that "claim" their 10K stereo system was stolen when in fact all that was taken was a $ 200.00 aftermarket cd player.

In any event, hope you have good luck. Chances are that the Attorney already knows that you will win something and all she is going to do now is delay the preceedings just to piss you off.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:52 PM
Registered

At this point, I would suggest that you get a lawyer.

No matter how crappy the lawyer on the other side is, even a blind hog finds a nut every now and then. Plus, if the engine builder is brought into the suit, he may get a lawyer. That is going to be two of them against you. If the engine builder is local, he may get a lawyer the judge knows. The judge may dis some out of town lawyer like it sounds the insurance company has, but it will be harder to do that to an acquaintance.

Just trying to help. I speak from personal experience -- I am an attorney, and I have been in cases that I should have lost with a lay person on the other side (a REALLY good looking one at that) in front of a judge that didn't like me. I still won, just because I am an attorney. Like it or not, judges generally have to run for office.

As if all this weren't bad enough, even a crappy lawyer knows rules of evidence and procedure that are gonna SMOKE you in front of a jury.

Don't kill the messenger, guys. If someone is suing a client of mine, and I talk to them at all, I tell them they are better off with an attorney.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally posted by hp500efi
G, did you know that most insurance companies will not pay for theft or damage to "aftermarket car stereos" unless you notify them of what was installed and the cost right after ytou install it .

They usually make you take out a "rider" for the aftermarket stereo stuff due to the enormous cost and likelyhood of it being stolen. They do that because there are folks out there that "claim" their 10K stereo system was stolen when in fact all that was taken was a $ 200.00 aftermarket cd player.

This would only apply to G-Force's OWN insurance company. He is going after someone else's insurer.

BTW -- Good luck G-Force.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:33 PM
Allan4

KS30, I was thinking the same thing. We are not talking about $500 here. If you are serious about winning this thing, you may want to think about that. If it were a minor ammount as such, I would say just run it on your own, however, now you have crossed into the chess game and without any knowledge of how to play you are going to get picked apart, unless you have an attorney buddy who will consult for free. However, even then he cannot react for you in court if he is not there. Maybe it's a 50/50 decision at this point, but you oughtta think about representation. I agree with KM30. I am not an attorney, but I am 1-0 defending myself...HAHAHA I just filed a suit in small claims vs. a large cell phone co yesterday........you would not belive this one!!! anyway, keep in mind this advice is from an everyday schmuck, not a law-dog. Later, good luck, my date is Dec 9th.

Old 01-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 876 Posts

G-Force, so how did you come out on this deal????

How about the boat?? Did the Ins co. ever settle??
Old 01-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Registered

Hey Griff..how you and Bobbi doing??

1) Feb 28th is the next (and i think last) court date for the Blazer/stereo issue....something about mandatory mediation prior to the trial. Can't imagine what they think they are going to "mediate".

2) I just authorized my marina to start cleaning up G-Force. The total repair estimate wasn't NEARLY as bad as i thought it was going to be - $10k - and 80% of that was engine repair/replacement.
Sent an obligatory letter to Farmers stating that i didn't think they had a right to refuse my claim and of course received the "too bad-too sad" response.
Next stop - my lawyers office.
By the time MY guy is done with MY estimate I'll rack up $20K+ in repairs that need to be done.
God I hate insurance companies.

Quick Reply: OT - small claims court next Tuesday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.