Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone use PDA's?... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/36044-anyone-use-pdas.html)

audacity 11-01-2002 08:22 AM

Anyone use PDA's?...

My crew chief broke me down....So now all the team members will have PDA's...man they are kinda hard to get used to? i couldn't get the damn thing to transfer data last night...Anyone else use these things???...do you sync them with your PC and or other PDA's???

SLINGSHOT 11-01-2002 08:24 AM

USE THE SYNC WITH THE PC IT SHOULD COME WITH A PROGRAM TO DO THAT

Sean 11-01-2002 08:36 AM

Joey,

PDAs are my life...I support bankers who live and die by these things...Blackberry, Palm, iPaq, Clios...you name it, I support it...Palm still rules in my opinion and most(if not all) of their competitors use the Palm OS on their devices. They can be synced to a PC or other devices via infrared...the options are limitles for these handy little things. They even make a GPS add-on device!

Personally, if you use Outlook for email, your best bet is to sync with Oulook via the included Intellisync software. Alot of people choose to use the Palm Desktop Software because they like the look and feel, but if you use Outlook, you keep eerything in one central location...

Sean

florida gator 11-01-2002 08:42 AM

I live by my Palm. Back it up as often as you can. I dropped my first one & it broke with approx 4 mos of data that had not been saved.

audacity 11-01-2002 08:57 AM

J will has us all of synced together so we all have our team documents on us...he will have the 03 rules in it, race pics, and of lap time data from 02 as well...J is mr. techno and trying to bring us up to speed....:rolleyes:

Dre' want ME to get one because she would have no idea what i did, who i talked to and i would forget if she asked....so really i thought wow,,,less questioning from a female!!...please send that overnight air please!!!:D

32fever 11-01-2002 09:57 AM

Bought my wife one. She put stuff in it, batteries died, info gone. So, now it just sits there. I call it the "table pilot". Actually, it's more of a "drawer pilot".

Coddigtion 11-01-2002 10:07 AM

I love my PDA, they rock.... Only way to keep data, I only use a palm though. Sean is right, the others have a cool factor, but Palms are about the only ones that have it really right. Another factor is they will sync with anything! I sync my with my Unix system.

-Linn

Frequency 11-01-2002 10:24 AM

Another chunk of technology? I've already got 6 PC's, 2 Unix machines, ADSL and SDSL connections. Laptops with remote access. Three email accounts.

There isn't enought time in the day as it is. Keep those damn PDA's away from me!

I need to go turn a wrench or something :rolleyes:

rjcardinal 11-01-2002 10:26 AM

I have the HP Jornada Pocket PC. Its windows based so learning it was a breeze. It syncs everytime I charge it with the USB cradle. It has Excell on it and I use it for take offs, Im in construction. It has Word which I havnt found a use for yet. I use the calendar to keep my job schedual which changes all day. The contact database is easy to use and I use it everyday. It has Internet Explorer on it with a little program that syncs a few news web site pages everyday that I browse when waiting on someone during the day.

The main things I use everyday are the Tasks, Contacts, Excell, Notes, and Calendar. Its got Windows Media Player and lots of other things I dont use but are fun to play with when you get bored.

Couldnt live without it now,

Ron

Coddigtion 11-01-2002 10:28 AM

Frequency... We almost have to use a PDA to just keep track of the passwords.... I know what you mean. You ever work with a Sunfire? What are your unix boxen? I am dialing in a pair of load balanced sunfire 15k's this morning 36 processors each and 144GB of ram :D :D Big big machines....