Faring Project For Excalibur >

Faring Project For Excalibur

Notices

Faring Project For Excalibur

Old 01-27-2003, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faring Project For Excalibur

Well after four long months I finally received my aluminum fairing from a local fab shop. I have to say, although to took over twice as long to complete as the projected due date I think it turned out nicely!

I did not scale down or crop the front portion of the fairing like most people do, I kept mine exactly the same size as the original windshield. Mainly because I do not have a raised deck, my windshield meets right from the flat deck itself, I thought if I cropped the fairing it would look a little goofy.

Anyway, by the first of next week it should be done being powder coated and ready for installation. I will post final pics then.

One winter project almost complete, by this time next month should have all of the Gaffrigs gauges, throttles, panels installed.

Spencer
WHITE-DIAMONDS
Attached Thumbnails Faring Project For Excalibur-alum-3.jpg  
Old 01-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Registered

Default pic #2

another pic
Attached Thumbnails Faring Project For Excalibur-alum-2.jpg  
Old 01-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Registered

Default pic #3

another
Attached Thumbnails Faring Project For Excalibur-alum.jpg  
Old 01-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Registered

Default pic #4

another
Attached Thumbnails Faring Project For Excalibur-alum-1.jpg  
Old 01-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Looks great!!
Old 01-27-2003, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome! w-d...that looks real nice!
Old 01-27-2003, 01:19 PM
Registered

Lines and proportion look great. I would suggest a center brace though....................Roger1
Old 01-27-2003, 01:28 PM
Registered

Roger, its got corner and center braceing, you can kinda see it in photo #2. It is very, very strong.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

White,
I'm planning on doing a similar fairing for a Magnum, I'm going to cut out wood patterns and have a fabricator cut and weld it. What gauge aluminum did you use? I hope you dont mind me asking, How much did it cost? It looks great!
Thanks in advance!
BOB G.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Registered

Bob, I used 3/16" aluminum, the entire front panel is made out of 5052 a bit softer type aluminum, reason being when they tried to make the bottom edge which is a very hard curve, the metal would split. The sides are same thickness just a bit stronger type aluminum.

To tell you the truth, I got a total of four quotes from different fab shops, I went from the big very well known shops to one that does this sort of work one project at a time, a one man show if you will. Anyway, the prices ranged from $900 - $1600 and after talking to Sean "thunderboat alley" on the forum, that price range was about what he paid on his old cig. So I thought I was in the right ballpark, until one of those four quotes was only $303.00!! Yes, $303.00!!! Now, don't get me wrong, this was not some shop in the back yard of some guys house. This was a very well known local company that does laser processing and metal forming and all type of fab work.

I swear the second that estimate came through my fax and I saw the $303.00 price I called the salesman immediately and said "you've got the job".

I mean the freakin aluminum stock cost more than $300 bucks!!

After this fairing project they told me to not tell anyone where I had it made becuase they do not want to make another one......especially for only $300 bucks!!

So Bob, unless you can get as lucky as I did, a real fair price is right about $1000 to get this project done correctly and professionally. It is much more difficult than I thought going into it, you would be surprised that it does not take much error to make this fairing project a nightmare if you are not very careful!!

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Faring Project For Excalibur

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.