Notices

Heater for bilge...

Old 11-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Merc mechanic has told me that 28* for 8 hours is enough to do damage, but he might have been referring to oil/ps coolers, seawater pumps, and manifolds instead of blocks. It would seem that it would take a lot more than that to freeze an engine block, but I guess it depends on the temp that the water in the block starts at. If temps have been hovering in the low 30's for a few days to the point where the water is at that temp, then it wouldn't take much of a drop for the water to freeze. On the other hand, if temps dropped from the mid sixties to below freezing in a short time, freeze damage would be less likely.

An interesting experiment in the making, perhaps?
Old 11-01-2002, 02:40 PM
Registered

I purchase mine at West Marine. They are bilge safe, and have no
switches to arc and cause explosion. Some have fans that will flow air around the bilge

Go to www.westmarine.com
Old 11-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont really have to get to fancy, 2 100 watt light bulbs will do fine, why 2 ?? just in case 1 goes bad on you.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Registered

OK so the boat doesn't freeze. It's still cold as **** tomorrow so what are you going to do with the boat? Last year I worried my tail off wondering about the temps and didn't winterize until December. Screw all that, put it away, I know it hurts to do it but after all this isn't Florida. Just my .02. Can you tell the potent rum is kicking in now?
Old 11-01-2002, 07:33 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

I've used this one for a few years and no problem

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=10837
Old 11-01-2002, 07:40 PM
CatAttack

crack your hatch and plug a ceramic heater in. If your bilge is full of fuel vapors, you've got other more serious problems to address.

Old 11-02-2002, 03:12 AM
Registered

200 watt bulb plugged into "thermo cube" outlet. It's a small thermostatically controlled outlet that turns power on at 35* F and off at 45* F. Model TC-3.

Radio Shack also has a remote thermometer you can put in the bilge that will transmit the bilge temp to the base unit without having to undo the cover or get in the boat. Also records min and max temps.

Last edited by Step; 11-02-2002 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2002, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope your engines came through the night okay. Next time there is a short cold snap expected, why not put your engines on a hose the evening before, run them up to op temp, and let the internal heat help keep the bildge warm overnight? Still use a drop light in there for safety sake, but I think the odds of freezing the engines that night are quite low.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally posted by bucky
OK so the boat doesn't freeze. It's still cold as **** tomorrow so what are you going to do with the boat? Last year I worried my tail off wondering about the temps and didn't winterize until December. Screw all that, put it away, I know it hurts to do it but after all this isn't Florida. Just my .02. Can you tell the potent rum is kicking in now?
Wear a thicker jacket.

Budman, If enough people send me $ for a new FI 4.3 liter Vortech, I will try out the experiment with the old 1400hour 4.3 now...
Old 11-02-2002, 10:33 AM
Registered

When I Get Worried About Freezing I Use A Drop Light In The Engine Compartment And A Electric Blanket Of My Bed Around The Outdrive, Shure I Freeze In Bed But I Know The Boat Is Toasty Warm...............

jeff

Quick Reply: Heater for bilge...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.