If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    1979 Excalibur 31'
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Imron vs. Powder coating

O.k. guys, I finally found a shop that can fabricate an aluminum faring for my Excalibur. I should be done in about a week or so. My question is should I have it painted with Imron or should I powder coat it???? My main concern is matching up the whites of the boat and of the faring. The worst fear is having two different shades of white on my boat. I believe a near exact match can be achieved when using Imron. What I have found with powder coat, you have to special order the powder and the really only way to get a "similar" match is to look at a swatch against the color of your boat. Even then, who knows how close the final product of powder will be??? Next question, what is the difference of durablity between Imron and powder coat?? I am worried that the Imron my chip easier than powder coat??? Any advise you guys might have would be excellent!!!

Thanks, Spencer

My Boats:
    1984 Excalibur 31'
    Lombard, Il
    A buddy of mine had a bunch of panels on his dragster powdercoated white. They never shined very well but he didn't care. Then a few panels got crunched, so he bought new ones and sent them to the powdercoater. When he got them back they didn't match the original color, and it was the same source.
    I'd do it Imron it's plenty durable and color matching will not be an issue.