Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Head Gasket debate, more info requested. >

Head Gasket debate, more info requested.

Notices

Head Gasket debate, more info requested.

Old 11-04-2002, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fel-Pro has a head gasket with a stainless O-ring (copper for alum. heads) intended just for forced induction. It's quite expensive but seems to work. I have had them on my turbo'd 454 for 15 years and 1200 hours and it still runs great. I can't remember the part #, but back in 1987 when I built the engine, I consulted Fel-Pro and had to special order them.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:46 PM
bobby daniels

15 YEARS AGO THE GASKETS WERE RARE AND HARD TO GET NOW THEY ARE EASY JUST NEED THE BORE SIZE AND TYPE HEAD !
8O.00 A PAIR ,EST
ALSO SOME 2OO1 MOTORS WERE SHIPED WITH INNCONEL VALVES ,EASY TO CHECK WITH A MAGNET :

HOPE THIS HELPS SOME !!!

Old 11-04-2002, 11:57 PM
VIP Member

Studs provide a better/more even clamping force and because of the material they are made of are less likely to allow head to lift off block under firing. Yes , this really happens but is so slight, especially in a blown application where twice the air/fuel mix is being ignited.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bryan,

Don't go with Gaffrig "Coolcharger" as it does not put out near as much hp as a procharger or Gaffrig's new "Extreme Supercharger". Mike Livorsi had a former Merc employee, that started his own hi-perf shop, reprogram the computer. The entire system has worked flawlessly for me so far. They were even able to program into the computer a warning for high fuel/air mix temps in case of intercooler blockage issues.

Give Ron Harris a call at Livorsi Marine as he helped in the design of this system. He can certainly give you additional input - he is on OSO occasionally as Cig28SS. Phone 847-548-5900 ext. 223.

Tim

ps. 170 hours so far with original head gaskets - I know I should probably change them
Old 11-06-2002, 02:01 PM
bobby daniels

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Bigwavz
Studs provide a better/more even clamping force and because of the material they are made of are less likely to allow head to lift off block under firing. Yes , this really happens but is so slight, especially in a blown application where twice the air/fuel mix is being ignited.

NOT TRYING TO ARGUE BUT STUDS ARE THE SAME MATERIAL AS BOLTS !!!AS LONG AS THEY ARE GOOD AFTERMARKETS LIKE A R P 'S,,,,,THEY CLAMP BETTER DUE TO SEVERAL REASONS THE MAJN ONE IS THE THREADS ON THE NUT SIDE ARE FINE THREAD SO IF YOU TIGHTEN BOTH TO 50 LBS THE FINE THEAD IS TIGHTER DUE TO MORE LEVER ACTION ,THE SECOND BEST RESON THEY CLAMP BETTER IS THEY DON;T TWIST THE BLOCK SURFACE LIKE BOLTS
ALSO JUST THINK IF THE HEAD LEFT THE DECK SURFACE ,EVEN SLIGHTLY,,IT WOULD CONSTANTLY LEAK COMBUSTION BYPRODUCTS ,IF IT LEAVES THERES A BAD PROBLEM (DETONATION)

BOLTS WORK GREAT WHEN ISTALLED RIGHT, STUDS DO WORK BETTER BUT MOST APPS.DON'T NEED THEM !

HOPE THIS HELPS

Old 11-06-2002, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Bobby,

I agree with you. I saw "Two Guys Garage" on Speed Vision go over the advantages of studs. Made a lot of sense to me.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:57 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

I spent today talking to VORTEC guys, still researching, lots of pros and cons with each....
Thanks
Bryan
Old 11-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Bobby, tell more on how to check for INNCONEL VALVES valves, mine is the end of the 502 legend, OM serial number...
Thanks
Bryan
Old 11-06-2002, 03:34 PM
bobby daniels

BRIAN,THE INNCONEL PART OF THE VALVE MOST OF THE TIME THE HEAD ONLY WOULD NOT BE PULLED BY A MAGNET AND REGULAR STAINLESS WOULD BE ATTRACTED !!!!

MOST VALVES LIKE THE INNCONEL ARE TWO PART THE HEAD IS INNCONEL AND THE STEM IS STAINLESS

VORTEC IS A GOOD BLOWER OR THE GAFFRIG UNITS

Old 11-09-2002, 01:43 PM
donzi-dad

have u looked at whipple chargers.they change the inj.reprogram ecu,change fuel pump.heard procharger has fuel issues.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket debate, more info requested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.