Kiekhaefer Throttle and Gear Shifter Change

Notices

Kiekhaefer Throttle and Gear Shifter Change

Old 10-04-2019, 05:34 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kiekhaefer Throttle and Gear Shifter Change

Back to work on this old Formula. The last goon who had this boat apparently replaced the old throttle and shifter cables (thank you) but installed them backward/reverse/wrong...so the starboard control revs the port engine and then port control revs the starboard engine. Also, the starboard gear shifter goes to the port and visa versa. Can anyone point me in the direction of a video tutorial on how I can switch this back?
Old 10-05-2019, 04:02 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Just swap the two cables from Port to starboard and Visa versa. LoL. Simple
Old 10-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by B38
Just swap the two cables from Port to starboard and Visa versa. LoL. Simple
yea I wish it was simple for me. I’ve never messed with this before. Which part of the assembly is removed? Do I have to take the entire control assembly apart or does the cable just slip off?
Old 10-06-2019, 01:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

The cables get disconnected at the small red circle.
It also looks like you are missing parts that should lock the cables into the notches. Notice the threaded holes.
The following users liked this post:
Andyba20 (10-07-2019), WhiskeyyHelps (06-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2019, 01:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

bajaman (01-03-2023)
Old 10-07-2019, 12:15 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Griff
The cables get disconnected at the small red circle.
It also looks like you are missing parts that should lock the cables into the notches. Notice
Griff- so will I disassemble the entire housing and back the nut off of each? And you’re right, there was a linkage (pin) across them that I removed. I started taking stuff apart and realized it wasn’t as intuitive as I thought it would be. Thank you for helping me out.

Last edited by Andyba20; 10-07-2019 at 12:18 AM. Reason: I see the smaller circle
Old 10-07-2019, 12:26 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Andyba20

Griff-so do I just pull them apart or are they threaded in some way? And you’re right, there was a linkage (pin) across them that I removed. I started taking stuff apart and realized it wasn’t as intuitive as I thought it would be. Thank you for helping me out.
Its been a while since I've had a set of these in front of me. They really are pretty straight forward though. I think there is just one long threaded rod that goes through all the cable ends(where I had the small circle)that you need to remove. If I remember correctly, there are just some nyloc nuts on each end of the rod.
Before you undo the cables though--label them with a sharpie. Like PS for port shifter and ST for starboard throttle, because they will get all mixed up when they are all disconnected.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:43 PM
Registered

Default Throttle lever falls

Is there a way to tighten the throttle levers on this unit? My starboard throttle slowly falls as I drive around and it is annoying to say the least. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

the merc controls dont have an arm tension adjustment screw like most other brands have
the throttles have a ball and spring that u should hear clicking as u move the levers
if throttle levers are smooth moving and no clicking then the ball and spring may have been taken out
then would have to dissasemble to put back in and find used merc controls to rob the missing parts to fix yours
as stated on cable swapping after u pull the lower pin holding lower cables in slots
pull cable out of slot and forward till upper cable comes off the lever it has a hook style holder at lever
of coures going back together do in reverse ,,,hook the upper and push lower into slot
Old 06-07-2022, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Shifters

Switch them back by motors
johnmiffco (06-07-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.