Notices

TRS to Speedy 2`s ?????

Old 11-06-2002, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default TRS to Speedy 2`s ?????

I have seen this topic beaten around before but here it goes. Are the TRS drives actually shorter than a Speedmaster 2?

Will Mirage props fit a Speedy 2?

If the Speedy 2 is a deeper drive, how much deeper is it?

Thanks, Kurt.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biggus...yes..the TRS is shorter...by 2 inches.

Also, part of the idea behind running a 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 drive is the fact that youcan swing a larger diameter prop...you won't want to swing that little ole Mirage prop anyway...besides, the speedys use a larger propshaft
Old 11-06-2002, 07:23 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Wink TRS VS. Speedmaster ll

The Speedmaster ll used the same Transom Plate as the TRS, so they are interchangable. The longer lower half of the Speedmaster, in effect, gives you a lower(deeper) X-demension. Not that desireable. You will loose all bowlift that you had with the TRS Drive. As with any Speedmaster/Sportmaster on a Hi-Performance Outboard installation, the idea is, to then raise the X-Demension, usually to a surfacing height, to take full advantage of the hydrodynamic advantage & low water pick-ups. This is why Speedmasters all have very large skegs. They depend on these deeper skegs & larger diameter propellers for steering as well. To submerge a Speedmaster, usually has ill-effects. The Mirage & Bravo l Propellers are "thru-hub exhaust" propellers...They won't work on a Speedmaster Drive. The Speedmaster ll Drive & the TRS Drive used the same upper housing/gears, etc...The lower half of the Speedmaster is known to also be a weaker unit than the TRS was. Speedmaster ll Cleaver prop selections are becoming scarce. Hope this helps. Ed
Old 11-06-2002, 07:49 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

Ed, I don't mean to start an argument but in my experience the farther the prop shaft is below the bottom the more bow lift there is. The only exception I can thnk of is when the drive is at a height where the bottom of the gearcase is acting as a planing surface.

I have found the SSM 2 lower to be stronger than a TRS due to the dual vertical drive shafts and 2 drive gears in the torpedo. On the other hand, if you put one on in place of the standard TRS the 2" increase in length overcomes any advantage it might have as far as speed.

You are absolutely correct in that the drive is meant to mounted high.

In any case the parts for it are almost impossible to find.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:26 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So if you have a TRS rigged on a boat, then take the SAME boat and put a #2 with Stelling boxes on it what one will go fater and by how much?

Jon