Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Key West Races in ????? Hope Not (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/36548-key-west-races-hope-not.html)

chuckbeecher 11-08-2002 07:43 AM

Key West Races in ????? Hope Not

Go to www.keywest.com and click on "news". Seems that there is a problem with a Carnival ship being at the outer mole and the races on Sunday the 24th. This article was in this mornings Key West Citizen. The city, Carnival and APBA are all meeting. Now I know why I haven't seen more details about the race and events on the APBA web page. The city would be better off to pay Carnival $50,000 dollars to give passengers refunds and just skip Key West that weekend, with all the money we will spend there that week.

offshore1_2000 11-08-2002 07:53 AM

I hear Lee Mills was on the radio yesterday & said something like: If key west doesn't respond to what we want, we will cancel the race.
Sounds like another strong arm tactic with aANOTHER unhappy ending

BODYSHOT1 11-08-2002 08:00 AM

Man!..it's one thing after another!! :rolleyes:

RHC 11-08-2002 08:02 AM

Give 50K to the passengers

Hey Chuck ,,,, while I agree with your thought process,,, fact is Carnival comes to town every week with a fresh load,,,, APBA come once or twice a yr .... MA needs to get his act together and do more, better planning. Just my .02

RHC

chuckbeecher 11-08-2002 08:06 AM

The way I read understand the article it appears the city forgot about their agreement with Carnival so those two should work it out. But I do find it amazing that these racing organization have so many problems with their events. They are run by what I suppose are succesful business men. How did they get that way if they were this disorganized or problem plagued. Not trying to start anything just my curiosity.

Ron P 11-08-2002 08:12 AM

I'm sure they could adjust the course to stay out of the harbor and away from the ship if needed.

DJD 11-08-2002 08:25 AM

WOW! And with less than a week to go!
APBA is going to have to be the ones to work around the schedule probs.
Like RHC said, Carnival is there every week, year round & the article says KW makes 20K per stop just in landing fees alone.
I've been going to the KW races for many years & hane never heard of a problem before. Why didn't they just stick to Wed. & Sat. races like the other guys?

DJD 11-08-2002 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Ron P
I'm sure they could adjust the course to stay out of the harbor and away from the ship if needed.
Ron, that would be the simple solution.

fastedy 11-08-2002 08:37 AM

My solution,

Run all races on Saturday, spend money & party like hell Saturdaynite, enjoy yourself on Sunday, go home Monday

Eddie

chuckbeecher 11-08-2002 08:40 AM

The schedule shows them racing on Sat. and Sun.. Why not Fri and Sat? But I bet there is another ship or two on Fri. tied up at Mallory Sq. I have been going to the races since 1991 and just up until the last year if you saw a race posted in a magazine or somewhere you coukld buy an airline ticket and try and get a hotel and just show up and there would be a race event in progress. Sometimes in the past 7 years they may be cancelled for water conditions(South Padre) but at least everyone is there and you could still have a good time. Now days the race was on this morning and when I get there tomorrow it's cancelled. The first time I ever went to Key West was the week before the Cuban Boatlift. There were no buidings above 2 or 3 stories , no Home Depots, TGIFRidays and no cruise ships!!! Talked to Captian Tony at 10am shirtleess and barefoot and he had just gotten out of jail and was on his way th get married! tHOSE WERE DAYS THAT YOU COULD GET LAID BACK AND KEY WAISTED! Hope we all can still see each other in a couple of weeks down there.