Notices

Manatee update, 11/7/02

Old 11-07-2002, 07:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Thumbs down Manatee update, 11/7/02

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...me%2Dheadlines

I will be attending the meeting in Melbourne, on Dec. 4th. and hopefully, the one in Daytona Beach, on Dec. 5th! Any Fl. powerboater who wants to use his POWERBOAT in the Inland waterways of Fl. NEEDS TO BE THERE! This is your chance to have your concerns heard, and try to help save FAMILY BOATING in FL! Everybody talks a good story, but when it comes to doing something, nobody is there except us few who are fighting for your right to go boating in FL. Get off your asses and help out!
MD
Old 11-07-2002, 08:31 AM
Stillcrazy

Default Manatee update

Manatee plan could dock development

Cape Coral would lose most if waterfront restrictions OK’d

By JEFF CULL, [email protected]

BIG BUSINESS: Clay Hadley, left, and Wayne Carter of Sun Ray Marine of Fort Myers drive pilings for a dock in a canal off Southwest 57th Terrace in Cape Coral on Wednesday. MARC BEAUDIN/the News-Press
A proposed federal manatee protection plan released Wednesday could effectively ban new boat ramps, docks and marinas in several Lee County areas for the next five years.

The plan from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service seeks to reduce manatee deaths caused by power boats in areas it believes offer inadequate protection for manatees.

Those areas include Cape Coral’s saltwater canals, much of the Caloosahatchee River, Ten Mile and Mullock creeks and parts of Matlacha Pass and Pine Island Sound.

By limiting the number of access points, Fish and Wildlife believes it can reduce the number of manatee deaths in a region that accounts for 42 percent of manatees in the state.

The plan was required by a settlement agreement to a lawsuit filed by the Save the Manatee Club and other environmental groups nearly three years ago.

Cape Coral has the most to lose from the plan. With nearly 100 miles of saltwater canals and an economy built on new home construction, the 12th largest city in Florida could see an economic downturn.

“Essentially they’re cutting us off at the knees,” said Cape Coral City Manager Terry Stewart, who said he’ll be asking city council on Tuesday to authorize hiring a Washington, D.C., law firm to represent the city in this matter. “This could affect property values throughout the city.”

Area dock builders, waterfront property owners, boaters and real estate agents had hoped that the plan would break a stalemate that has kept Fish and Wildlife from allowing boat dock permits in these areas for the past two years.

The new proposal does nothing but strengthen that stalemate

Old 11-07-2002, 08:38 AM
Stillcrazy

Default Manatee update

This mornings paper with another victory for $MC.We need to support Standing Watch AND attend all public meetings. The next meeting for the SW Florida area is tenative Dec. 2,2002 @ Harborside Conventiion Hall , 1375 Monro St. Fort Myers. Time TBA Subject is Proposed Regulations. SEE YA?

Old 11-07-2002, 09:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Still,
Please post the meeting time as soon as you know! The wife and I belong to Standing-Watch and CFW Brevard. I have met Jim Kalvin, great guy, who has dedicated his life to this BATTLE! You will find here on OSO, that there is more talkers than doers, so don't get your hopes up as to getting much support from FL. boaters on this website! Hell I get more support from out of state boaters, as far as $$ goes, than I get from the Fl. boaters!
MD
Old 11-07-2002, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean,

I feel your pain my man! We have the same issues with snowmobilers here in the north country. Much easier to complain and give you lip service than to actually do something. Good luck and don't give up the fight!
Old 11-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shane,
IT's so true, everybody "Talks the talk, FEW walk the walk".
Have fun on the sleds this weekend. Hopefully, we'll be boating this weekend, althought the wife is still down in the Keys on Business! (And I'm stuck here working, playing Mr. Mom!)
TGIF,
MD