Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Quesiton about Bacardi Silver Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/36580-quesiton-about-bacardi-silver-boat.html)

Just Browsing 11-08-2002 09:21 PM

No doubt about it.

It was very impressive to see, no matter what the outcome, I'll give you that!

Waterfoul 11-08-2002 09:31 PM

David Scott is a member of OSO. You might try PM'ing or emailing him with your questions. He has been very forthcoming in the past about his boat.

Offshore Addiction 11-09-2002 11:26 AM

why is it set up that way,with the speeds there trying to maintain with that boat,its almost impossible to turn with the height of the X,they created the rudder design to extend deeper into the water to keep the boat from sliding through the turns.they did affix the #6's to beable to do this,about a third of the way through the year they removed the skegs on the drives to cut back even more on the drag........these guys are good at what they do,thats for sure!!!!!!!!!!my hats off for the speed and handling...........

OffshoreOnly 11-09-2002 12:15 PM

OK, Remember OSO headquarters is located in TNT where Bacardi boat was built so we do have some inside info but owner Kilo Kat can answer all the questions most accurately. The rudder system is more responsive than steering with the drives especially for boats of that speed. The drives on this boat have the skegs cut off so for all intents and purposes they do act as a surface drive per say. This is the new boat which is a 46'. The new Sterling set up has the biggest PSI blowers I have ever seen.

The Barcadi boat was set up just like the old 36' with the conventional rudder steering and fixed #6 set up.

During the race the first lap the Bacardi boat was in first place, the second lap the Pier 57 boat started to run away. The Bacardi passed us (OSO pace boat sitting in middle of course) in the second lap sounding like it was down on power. Shortly thereafter Bacardi broke and Pier 57 ran the course looking and sounding REAL NICE before they broke.

Goddess ended up winning the race after flipping and ending back upright, no one was hurt. The boat did sustain damage and probably will not be racing on Sunday.

Sunday should be an interesting battle between Pier 57 and Barcardi.

Hopefully Kilo Kat can correct any incorrect information but I believe this is pretty accurate.

OSO

shifter 11-19-2002 06:58 PM

In 96 we ran that system on Victory teams #7 boat. The idea is to reduce drag and improve handling. We ran it in several different modes with and without drives turning. The " shaft drive " boats do not allow for positive trim so they were not an option.
With a center rudder the boat will naturally track a straight line. With skegs the boat hunts left to right because of varying efficiency side to side. The skeg being in front of the propeller causes cavitation. The skeg in front also blows the prop out in the corners. The center rudder further from the polar moment of the boat also gives you more control of the boat with very little input.
I hope this helps.
JT's and Dave Scotts boat is a 46 Skater.
pat W

Whipple Charged 11-19-2002 07:18 PM

Offshoreonly,

The PSI's are certainly large, but are only in the neighborhood of 7 Liters where our race compressor is 9.8 Liters. Same as the Sorcerer boat runs. The PSI was made to be equal to the 1471 with a higher efficiency rate and ability to turn higher speeds. I'm simply amazed for the power levels there trying to achieve that they would utilize the PSI superchargers. I guess they had to do something, the roots was simply done.

Just curious,
Dustin

kathycool 11-19-2002 08:38 PM

Beautiful boat! Ron, we were there Wed also, must've missed ya.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...php?photo=3147