Notices

Shootout Scandal

Old 11-09-2002, 09:38 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-09-2002, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't got my copy yet either
Old 11-10-2002, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

steve 1: i think piston power ,offshore is around 190 by skater.. right?
Old 11-10-2002, 08:26 AM
cashmoney

Tim...the piston powered Bacardi boat drivin by Scott hit 165...the article is OK...but the mailbag section really shows the outrage and disappointment by the fans...and that is what matters...the fans...When chatting with the Bud guys they said they were there for a exhibition run only...the rest is history...here is the culprit..
Attached Thumbnails Shootout Scandal-shootout-004.jpg  

Old 11-10-2002, 08:29 AM
cashmoney

And Scotts Bacardi boat...twin 1300 hp
Attached Thumbnails Shootout Scandal-shootout-028.jpg  

Old 11-10-2002, 12:05 PM
Callan Marine

Troutly,

Point well taken on accelleration. We learned alot last Shootout and are making improvements for next year. We didn't realize that the "start" would actually be a "flying" start at the Shootout. We had expected to start in the "box" like the rest of the boats. If that was the case, the hydro's accelleration couldn't come into play until she was on plane. I hope the rules next year promote a drag race on water rather than a flying mile format. A drag race on water is a unique event. If it continues with flying starts, I seriously hope they will re-evaluate the course layout for fan safety.

dc

Old 11-10-2002, 03:49 PM
27mmLoto

Maybe I am missing something but I do not understand the outrage. It is true that Miss Bud was there for exhibition and decided to run for the record after the Callan boat outran the Bicardi boat but so what?
The Top Gun can be in any class. If you feel that it was unfair for Miss Bud to beat the Callan boat (a beautiful and truly incredible machine) then it was just as unfair to run a turbine boat like the Callan against a piston boat like the Bicardi (another beautiful and incredible machine) for the same title.
I thought it was unbelievably awesome seeing that hydro go from a standing start to 190 MPH. I have seen the boat run several times before and it was way cool watching a 190MPH pass and then seeing that unbelievable turn at the end to make a return run, but it was not nearly as incredible as seeing the spray blowing up from the sponsons after the canard wing as it was climbing out of the water under full acceleration!! (or at least as much as the prop would hold)
As a participant in that event many times I have always seen them let the big cats go past the flagboat on plane. I didn't mind as those boats are a little sluggish until they get some air under them and it made the big boats run quite a bit faster and break far fewer parts than a true drag race format would have. I did see that Miss Bud (probably fearing the backlash of an "unfair advantage") did not use the on plane start for her record runs and it really made for a great visual experience. As much as I would have hated to see that through a lens I wish I would have video taped it.
Steve

Old 11-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Shootout

Basically the Shootout has been ruined!. Turbine boats. Give me a break.. I have been to every Shootout since the first. All the commercial race boats should be restricted to exibition runs only or divided into two differnt top guns. The real top gun should go to the guys who are out there every day running their boats for pleasure. My .02
Old 11-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

27mmLoto,

I don't think it's an issue that Miss Bud entered that everyone is upset about. It's the fact the she didn't decide to run in the Shootout until they realized the Bacardi boat had been beaten by Callan.

I don't think all the explaining in the world is going to change many people's minds on this subject. Budweiser abused the situation hands down.

Buck
Old 11-10-2002, 04:28 PM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Shootout Scandal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.