Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Nor-tech, statement, deep impact, others? >

Nor-tech, statement, deep impact, others?

Notices

Nor-tech, statement, deep impact, others?

Old 05-27-2020, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
I understand Nate BUT if 1 brand is 5mph faster, has better rough water capability which includes being a dryer hull, offers more wind protection & has the best resale value don't all those things add up?

Lets reverse engineer the comparison, list all the Con's of a Nor-Tech, just the Nor-Tech, anyone can chime in.
I've owned 3 so I should be able to vet out & or confirm those who have never owned a NT or been on one.
I have never owned either of the 2 other brands.

BTW- the OP of this thread is welcome to message me any time directly for NT feedback.
They absolutely add up and for that it will show on the sales cost as well and even more so that he is in the used market,

I don't think it is a Secret that I am more of a Statement person but I can admit the Nor-tech on numbers is better in areas for sure but you will pay more as well.

My whole point is NONE listed are a bad option. Essentially the Op could buy anyone and it will be great in everything listed. So it will now boil down to cost, layout, and what the used market has for them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nate5.0:
Motorsports (11-18-2023), NASCAT (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
They absolutely add up and for that it will show on the sales cost as well and even more so that he is in the used market,

I don't think it is a Secret that I am more of a Statement person but I can admit the Nor-tech on numbers is better in areas for sure but you will pay more as well.

My whole point is NONE listed are a bad option. Essentially the Op could buy anyone and it will be great in everything listed. So it will now boil down to cost, layout, and what the used market has for them.
Excellent Counter Points!

The defense rests!
Old 05-27-2020, 09:40 AM
Registered

One thing I personally have experienced and it took a bit to get my head around is I may have spent more on a boat but based on the resale value I also retained much more.
While I don't know the current pricing of the 3 brands but do know certain ones will drop their shorts to get a sale what I do know is that buying a used triple Merc 350 34-37' CC for say $275k but could only get $225k for 2yrs later vs one that you'd paid $325k for but can get $290k for 2yrs later should be a consideration as long as both options are within ones budget. The #'s are hypothetical, my point being that purchasing a less expensive boat isn't always the best decision long term.

If you could buy a used 35' Cig & a used 35' Baja or Active Thunder or Sonic for the same $$ which one do you think will retain the most value?

As it relates to the OP's brands he comparing my $$ is on a NT as long as you can buy it at fair market value or don't overpay thru an impulse or emotional purchase.

Last edited by NASCAT; 05-27-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:45 AM
Registered

One thing I personally have experienced and it took a bit to get my head around is I may have spent more on a boat but based on the resale value I also retained much more.
While I don't know the current pricing of the 3 brands but do know certain ones will drop their shorts to get a sale what I do know is that buying a used triple Merc 350 34-37' CC for say $275k but could only get $225k for 2yrs later vs one that you'd paid $325k for but can get $290k for 2yrs later should be a consideration as long as both options are within ones budget. The #'s are hypothetical, my point being that purchasing a less expensive boat isn't always the best decision long term.

If you could buy a used 35' Cig & a used 35' Baja or Active Thunder or Sonic for the same $$ which one do you think will retain the most value?

This is said often but in the reality is people have budgets and at times you have to stay in those budgeted lines like it or not. So we can all agree that at times the name that holds up better is the one we all want but that doesn't mean we should stretch out self thin to buy that.

When I bought my sonic you damn well better believe I wanted a Cig but a Cig and my Budget was 100% not in the cards.

We all don't print money here, so at times the budget listed is what the budget is. Say "well for $30k look how much more boat you get". That $30k is a lot of money even when financed.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:49 AM
Registered

Excellent Counter Points!

The defense rests!
not sure what counter points you want. As I said all boats listed are great and the layouts in the used market will likely guide the buyer.

Anything anyone list here as "Cons" in reality will be personal dislikes about what in reality is a nice item.

I can tell you I HATE 2nd row bolsters on any boat as well as I am not a fan of the front lounger on the 340 Nor-tech as it takes away from bow seating which I am more of a fan of. Does that make it bad? Not at all, it is just a personal thing that someone here might love.

Point is, I cant think of any hard "CONS" on any of these boats, just personal things that might not be what some want is all. In the end All 3 listed would be great to own.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
not sure what counter points you want. As I said all boats listed are great and the layouts in the used market will likely guide the buyer.

Anything anyone list here as "Cons" in reality will be personal dislikes about what in reality is a nice item.

I can tell you I HATE 2nd row bolsters on any boat as well as I am not a fan of the front lounger on the 340 Nor-tech as it takes away from bow seating which I am more of a fan of. Does that make it bad? Not at all, it is just a personal thing that someone here might love.

Point is, I cant think of any hard "CONS" on any of these boats, just personal things that might not be what some want is all. In the end All 3 listed would be great to own.

Actually I meant you made Good Counter Points!

Too me a narrower helm w/ less wind / foul weather protection isn't a personal dislike, more so factual.
No different than I feel like the NT cabin is sparse at best, the absolute Achilles heel of the NT line in comparison to other 34-40' CC's.

2nd row seating on a 34 is a mistake, only know of one NT in production to date, on a 39' no issue.
Can tell you my passengers very much appreciated the 2nd row and large top on a snotty / rainy return from the Bahamas.
Obviously depends on the buyer and intended use

My boat was the first 34 w/ the U-shape seating and traditional lounger. I went to the factory, sat on a std length lounger & found it to extend over a foot beyond my feet so we cut it back 13" & 45* the corners to allow for plenty of walk around room.
I thought it achieved the best of both worlds and is now the standard NT offering on a 340.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 75 Likes on 25 Posts

Kids, Kids, no arguing...LOL.
Just buy a Cigarette CC, and rule the world...
The following 6 users liked this post by BONDO10:
cmoore7 (05-29-2020), Knot 4 Me (05-27-2020), Lute Dickey (05-28-2020), NASCAT (05-27-2020), Nate5.0 (05-27-2020), OldSchool (05-31-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 750 Likes on 403 Posts

My only negative on the Nor-Tech would involve the standard lounge seating in front of the windshield. If you have a large family or always take a lot of guests and would like a couple folks to be able to ride comfortably there (given appropriate water conditions) then the standard lounge fails in providing comfortable seating while underway. Riding up there will find you constantly sliding forward on the seat with wave action and when you are fully up against the seat back your tailbone will be on an unpadded section of lower cushion. Other manufactures offer “peaked at the knee” abbreviated lounges that better hold you in place while underway but you will sacrifice seating on anchor. I know NASCAT has worked with NT to change that front lounge so options do exist depending on your intended use. Otherwise, it is hard to find fault with NT except for the long wait times for a build if your dealer doesn’t have unsold slots available.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:42 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

All are great options. If you really want a great boat, just find one of the used ones NASCAT built. I would buy one of those 34s for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cash Bar:
Knot 4 Me (05-27-2020), NASCAT (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 164 Likes on 73 Posts

I understand Nate BUT if 1 brand is 5mph faster, has better rough water capability which includes being a dryer hull, offers more wind protection & has the best resale value don't all those things add up?

Lets reverse engineer the comparison, list all the Con's of a Nor-Tech, just the Nor-Tech, anyone can chime in.
I've owned 3 so I should be able to vet out & or confirm those who have never owned a NT or been on one.
I have never owned either of the 2 other brands.

BTW- the OP of this thread is welcome to message me any time directly for NT feedback.

Don't get me wrong, I ABSOLUTELY love our 2016 390 Nor-Tech, but I can list quite a few flaws. We use the boat for 99% cruising/ fun runs. I can post pictures of most of these, if anyone doesn't believe me.

1. I had to pull the toilet out to replace the cabin bilge float about a month after taking delivery (no biggy, it happens). However, the amount of zip tie scraps, wire scraps, and a snickers bar wrapper was ridiculous
2. The rigging behind the helm leaves a lot to be desired
3. Some items behind helm have actual labels, some have nothing, some have sharpie
4. The way the $11,000 stereo is wired is a joke. 2 of the JL subs are going to speaker channels. Not bridged channels, one sub on one 75W speaker channel.
5. Labels on the amps are in sharpie and green tape
6. No actual 12 VDC panel
7. No actual 120 VAC panel
8. No way to run the air conditioning off of shore power, until I engineered a source selection switch to be able to
9. Not a ton of storage
10. Only 20 gallons of fresh water and no tank level monitor
11. No black tank monitor. Actually, no black tank. Its built into the toilet (gravity fed)
12. No refrigerator option
13. Terry Sobo was extremely hard to work with during the build process. It was very hard to do custom one off options with him. Very nice guy, but he did not want to do what a custom boat builder should do.
14. Lots of construction dust in covered areas. They did a terrible job of cleaning up before buttoning up things during the build.
15. No windshield wiper option. It is annoying to have to stop to wipe off salt spray on windy days.

Now, the above items may sound like a lot but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Nor-Tech. The 390 has been a great boat and the ride is unbeatable in this size range. Im really starting to love the Nor-Tech 450, and am really starting to want one. I just now know the process better and will have to be more involved in any future builds.

I would also highly consider a Mystic 38 or 42 in your search.

Feel free to ask me anything specific on the 390 Nor-Tech.
The following users liked this post:
TURBO JET (05-28-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.