Notices

Trim Tabs

Old 11-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Tabs

I'm looking at a '91 Switzer 24SS w/o trim tabs. The current owner says the boat runs about 70 on GPS. If I do buy it I want to run it in P5 of APBA GLSCS next summer. I'm thinking w/o trim tabs I'm just asking for trouble.

Am I wrong? If not, I need a quick A to Z lesson on trim tabs, including where to find them, cost, etc...

Thanks.
Ricochet.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:32 AM
Registered

Yes and No. I've heard that in the turns, at speed, you really need to pull the drive in further than one might think, because otherwise the hull has a tendency to slide then catch. That tells me that in the wrong conditions, I'm swimming.

I'll check-out the website.

Thanks.
Ricochet.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not all boats need tabs. I rarely put my tabs down on my Formula, HOWEVER when I do use them it is nice to have. Bigger is not neccasarily better with tabs. We put the large K-planes on a 30 foot superboat and it lost about 5 mph!!! Tabs work with Trim so you have to constantly move btwn the two settings. Every boat is different however and there is no subsitute for time at the sticks. Just watch putting them down to far as that can make you bow steer BADLY.

Jon
Old 11-09-2002, 07:53 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh ya if you go with the Bennetts at first they are a little more forgiving. They have a Sport tab that actually works faily well. They trim slower then a K-plane but they are MUCH cheaper and easier to install.

Jon
Old 11-09-2002, 12:57 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,301 Likes on 3,706 Posts

also keep in mind, running a boat by itself and running with a group and in big water are very different. look at a lot of different setups. and see which appears best for you.
Old 11-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I have a 24 Baja (similar bottom) and when I bought it it did not have tabs. I installed a set of Trim Master 16" tabs. I immediatly broke all 4 rams, but they replaced them for free Iincluding the plate that ripped off the hull and is still on the bottom of Lake Michigan somwhere!!!). I have since machined my own pistons for their rams (they are plastic pistons and kept breaking). 4 years now and no issues. I also welded a section of stainless to them so I could thru bolt them - call it piece of mind - and have had absolutely no issues with them since I did this (at the same time as I made the pistons). My boat handles MUCH better with them than without, in any water condition, especially tight 2-3 footers. I can run WFO with the tabs just past neutral into it or with it. Lots of fun!!!!
Old 11-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Registered

Thanks Guys.

'Foul - You must have decided to keep your Baja. I remember either earlier this year or late last year it was up for sale.

Ricochet.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:35 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Racing without tabs? Yes, you would be asking for trouble.

Yes, you will need tabs if you are going to race the GLSCS.
Yes, the K-Planes and the Arneson rocker tabs are both great tabs. Dana also makes a good tab.
Yes, the Bennett tabs are much cheaper and somewhat easier to install than the better tabs. BUT, They will probably not last one race without bending &/or breaking completely off.
Also, check out the Switzer really well. I've heard they were well built boats and I know they're fast. But, make sure it will stay in one piece.
Good luck to you.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:10 PM
jb
Registered

Not for nothing , I just finished watching an F-2 race(so I feel compelled to reply) and seeing these guys get thrown everywhere, I gotta believe a little more than Trim Type and dropping the drive in a corner should be the least of your concerns. Get some time behind that wheel with someone who can help ya with the set up you have, and make recomendations (sp) from there.
Learn the boat, then get the set up that works. Test... adjust, test... adjust, test... adjust.
Good luck..post some pics of he Switzer, you'll have an absolute blast!
Old 11-09-2002, 09:27 PM
Registered

Great feedback everybody.

Gordo, what do you mean by, "... make sure it will stay in one piece." Is there something specific you know about the Switzer hulls that makes you question the hull's integrity under race conditions. Please elaborate.

Thank you.
Ricochet.

Quick Reply: Trim Tabs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.