Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tampa Bay to the Keys, SELL YOUR BOAT NOW!! >

Tampa Bay to the Keys, SELL YOUR BOAT NOW!!

Notices

Tampa Bay to the Keys, SELL YOUR BOAT NOW!!

Old 11-14-2002, 09:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Thumbs down Tampa Bay to the Keys, SELL YOUR BOAT NOW!!

Well,
This is really bad NEWS!! I copied this from www.standing-watch.org

Is it really true that over the next five years
The Save the Manatee Club could single-handedly succeed
in destroying the thriving Southwest Florida economy?

According to the current plan proposed by the US Fish & Wildlife Service,
YES THEY WILL!!!"

URGENT
Synopsis of U.S. Fish & Wildlife
Proposed Incidental Take Regulations

The west coast of Florida from "Pasco County south to Whitewater Bay in
Monroe County and DeSoto, Glades, and Hendry Counties" is classified as the
SOUTHWEST REGION. In this SOUTHWEST REGION Service personnel "are not proposing to authorize incidental take of manatees "at this time" (incidental take means accidental death via watercraft collision). This means that they will not allow one boat related manatee death from north of Tampa Bay south to the Keys.

Adoption of this rule means that the Service will:
1) "Regulate the operation of watercraft on Florida
waters "includes" establishment of speed zones and restricted access areas "by
slowing watercraft speeds or prohibiting waterborne activities in areas of
importance to manatees."
2) "watercraft access facilities (e.g., boat ramps, docks, and marinas)
that provide water access to waters inhabited by manatees" Section 7 of the
Endangered Species Act" requires the Corp to assess the effects of any
facility under their review on a federally listed species and consult with
us (USFW)" If potential adverse effects to manatees or manatee habitat are
identified the permit can be specifically conditioned to avoid the adverse
impacts, or where appropriate, denied."
Government "incidental takings" are exempted.
The "Summary of Efficiency (Economic Surplus) Losses (millions of 2001
dollars). Nominal Impacts (listed as):
Year 1: $18 to $25.
Year 2: $20 to $35.
Year 3: $21 to $44.
Year 4: $23 to $53.
Year 5: $25 to $62.
5 Year total: $97,000,000.00 to $198,000,000.00."

"Reduction in jobs:
Year 1: 147.
Year 2: 170.
Year 3: 193.
Year 4: 217.
Year 5: 240.

"Administrative costs over the next 5 years associated with ….manatee protection areas ($19 million), agency administrative efforts ($15 million), education and outreach ($3 million), permitting efforts ($4 million), and additional impacts ($11 million).

"The inability to authorize incidental take for the Southwest stock under the proposed rule would also impact property values…we estimate the economic cost to be $66 million over five years."

"Due to the inability to authorize incidental take for the Southwest stock under this proposed rule, it is assumed that the service would not concur with 37% of permit applications for the construction of new boat ramps…"

"Affected Establishments in the Southwest: 8,271.
Affected establishments with less than ten employees: 4,699."

These items are verbatim from the USFW Release. These are but a few of the items that will directly affect you, and your way of life. Read the entire 51 page document, attend the scheduled meetings, and communicate your concerns directly with your local, State, and Federal elected officials.

http://northflorida.fws.gov/Manatee/...ule-110502.htm

http://www.standing-watch.org/watch.html

P.O. Box 8357, Naples, FL 34101 E-mail Standing Watch Call Standing Watch Toll Free 1-866-263-5015 or in Naples 941-263-5015 Copyright © 2001 by StandingWatch. All rights reserved.

And I thought we had it bad!! Although, it's just a matter of time before the USFWS, FFWCC, and $MC BAN Boating in the rest of the state!
MD
Old 11-14-2002, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an ideal! Lets get together and kill off the Manatee, so they have nothing to ***** about. It makes about as much sense as what they want!
Old 11-14-2002, 10:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

SteveS,
I have been to the public meetings and there are some of "Local Yokals" that basically threaten to do that if the new Manatee zones are passed! It didn't deter the $MC, FFWCC and USFWS, in fact that is how the $MC portrays we boaters in Fl. "Manatee Maulers"!!! The real ***** of this NEW regulations is if Joe Schmow powerboater and his wife just bought a nice $$$ piece of H2O property on the SW coast of Fl., and planned on building a nice home, it will be WITHOUT A DOCK/LIFT for their boat! Nice investment huh? I feel kinda of lucky that we already have our dock/lift built and upgraded it last year!
There are even discussions going on right now between the $MC, USFWS, and the FFWCC about RATIONING/LIMITING the # of boats that can be launched from a public boat ramp, on any given day!!
MD

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 11-14-2002 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just read almost the whole thing(it's long) and I can't believe the lengths that these people are going to go. It's ludicrous! The implications of this proposal are HUGE to the state economy. I can't imagine that this could possibly be passed the way it's written now. Local governments need to start getting involved fighting for their own economic rights. This is way past local boating groups trying to fend off multi-million dollar eco-wacko organizations and their multi-million dollar lawyers!
Totally Fugging P'D!
Old 11-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

BD,
The only way the local Gov't officals are going to get involved is if people, like yourself, call them, write them, etc to make sure that they, (Local Elected Officals) NOW that you will hold them/their JOBS accountable for how they respond to this!!! I know you are already doing this, we just need to keep up the pressure, because, the $MC will NOT STOP!
I read the whole USFWS reg too, it is long.
This regulation will definitely put people out of work, and have a TERRIBLE impact on the TAX structure in the state of FL.
Say hello to FL. State Income Tax!
MD
Old 11-14-2002, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree Dean. I've been writing everyone I can think of regarding this locally. A large, and I mean LERGE portion of our local economy is derived from boating in one form or another. Let's hope they listen.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

TTT, sorry, I just feel this is VERY IMPORTANT to ALL boaters, not just Fl. boaters/residents!
MD
Old 11-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Registered

I was boating around Sanibel years ago ....so what will this mean ???? Typical liberal BS!!!! Have you ever noticed that Liberals Have no real Hobbies or Interests Except to Take away and limit Your Interest and Fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From Michigan
Old 11-14-2002, 08:39 PM
Registered

You can write till your blue in the face,bottom line is the one with the most $$$$$$ (lobbiest) will prevail. $$$$$$ is what politics are all about.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Speed2lead,
EXACTLY!! That's why EVERY POWERBOATER in the state of FL. should join Standing-Watch and CFW! We need the support and $$ to go FIGHT the $MC! All the complaining /*****ing isn't going to do anything, we need to fight fire with fire!
Speed3 Lead, are you a member?
Please take a moment and visit these websites to see how we are trying to SAVE our/your right to boat in FL!!!

www.standing-watch.org

www.cfwbrevard.org
TGIF,
MD

Quick Reply: Tampa Bay to the Keys, SELL YOUR BOAT NOW!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.