Notices

Seven Marine no more :(

Old 11-06-2020, 08:55 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts
Default Seven Marine no more :(

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/.prev...ource=hs_email

Cant say this was a surprise....i figured Volvo bought them thinking they just sit back and the engine would sell themselves.....i dont think they put any effort into it...now its all about going green.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-06-2020, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

"In the future, the world will be powered by a combination of battery-electric and fuel-cell electric vehicles ... "

Good luck with that theory. We are slowly transitioning to more practical and fun to drive electric cars but are a long ways from practical, let alone fast, electric boats. Will we have electric jets too? Large cargo ships could go nuclear like warships and submarines have. Anyway it is sad to see Seven Marine go the way of the Ilmor V-10.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Shocker! I know I don't get out much, but I don't think I ever actually seen one of those mythical beasts in the wild.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Wonder why they bought them, it was only a little over a year ago?
Old 11-06-2020, 10:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It was a little longer than a years ago:
https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/tech/...y-seven-marine

Regardless, with the likes of Mercury Marine closing in on the Seven's then exclusive horsepower levels; it was only a matter of time. Seven Marine went the way of Ilmor: exotic, "romantic" in it's exclusivity; but just not an enterprise player. The Sevens did have their issues. The high output numbers are exciting for folks like us; but they could not handle being on lighter/smaller boats, as they can't handle the leaving the water and re-entry like the lower HP outboards. That's why you never saw them on performance catamarans. Combine that with the transformations of the LS platform over the years; and re-engineering the Seven platform to follow, likely didn't make good business sense based on demand and sales.

The other "bonus" of a boat with Seven Marine outboards was the ability to use less units. Take a boat that would have required 2 - 627s to be on par performance, compared to a boat with 3 Mercury 400s...
...if you lose one of those 627s while out a sea, you are in for a long ride home. More than likely, if you lose one of those Mercury 400s, you can still make it home on plane with two of the 400s.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-06-2020 at 10:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sydwayz:
Bostonirish (11-06-2020), Griff (11-07-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 209 Posts

With increasing outboard sales lately it's surprising to see these guys AND Envinrude now being sent to pasture. But, I've never seen a Seven on a transom anywhere and newer Evinrudes are few and far between. Mostly Merc, Yami, and Honda.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by techman
With increasing outboard sales lately it's surprising to see these guys AND Envinrude now being sent to pasture. But, I've never seen a Seven on a transom anywhere and newer Evinrudes are few and far between. Mostly Merc, Yami, and Honda.
They are definitely down here in the high end Florida market. I’m sure there are some LOTO but I don’t specifically recall seeing them.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 553 Likes on 336 Posts

saaaad!

I especially liked the LSx motor platform --> go to junkyard and replace bad motor

Old 11-06-2020, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Didn't know it had been 3 years.

Personally i never really got it, people like OB because of reliability, true marine design etc.

A 7 was just a I/O motor strapped on the transom. I do like the LS platform and need to spend some time learning about them for a repower.
The following users liked this post:
noli (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
They are definitely down here in the high end Florida market. I’m sure there are some LOTO but I don’t specifically recall seeing them.

Agreed there is a lot around here but also not shocked they are done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.