Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Renegade vs Others (Statement/Sunsation/Etc) >

Renegade vs Others (Statement/Sunsation/Etc)

Notices

Renegade vs Others (Statement/Sunsation/Etc)

Old 12-01-2020, 03:30 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't think that I haven't thought about that!
The following users liked this post:
badmonkey (12-01-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

A couple of off base comments from people who have never owned or even been on a Renegade. First off, go look at Sunsation website and try to figure out what their layup is. You won’t find it because they don’t tell you they still use wood in all aspects of their builds. Pretty paint but top dollar for a boat with wood is not my idea of money well spent. Prior to buying my Renegade I visited Concept, Velocity, Superboat, Sunsation and Active Thunder. I’d agree that Concept and Renegade are very similar in build and styling. Concept has a larger facility and build more boats. Renegade uses NO wood in construction. All composite like coosa board. Manny Oses, the honcho who runs Renegade is fantastic to work with as is his staff. I found my boat one year used and I’ve been treated just like the original owner. How many companies do you know of where you can call the owners cell and talk to him directly? On a couple occasions I needed some minor rigging hardware and renegade sent me replacements with no charge and when I did need something like hatch struts, they express mailed me and only charged me their cost for the part. The boats are as rock solid as any other made with zero creaks or groans. If you have the wallet they will customize any boat to your likings comparable to almost all other manufacturers. Renegade is a very small family run company and as such they don’t have the overhead costs like other big boys but that’s a positive and reflects in the prices. My suggestion before purchasing any boat is go visit the company and see what they have going. In full disclosure both Concept and Sunsation treated me very well while visiting but once I learned Sunsation still uses wood I walked away. Good luck in the search. Performance center consoles with modern Verado outboards is the only way to go. You won’t be disappointed.

Last edited by Ing; 12-02-2020 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
The following 5 users liked this post by Ing:
Apexwarrior (12-03-2020), Bobthebuilder (12-02-2020), HOSSMAN (12-03-2020), rak rua (12-02-2020), Sydwayz (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had a new 2015 33 Renegade, sold at 50 hours, a new 2015 34 Nor-Tech sold at 500 hours and 200 hours on my current 2020 39 Nor-Tech. I’m not much for typing but if you want to talk on the phone, PM for my number.

E
Old 12-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 751 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing
A couple of off base comments from people who have never owned or even been on a Renegade. First off, go look at Sunsation website and try to figure out what their layup is. You won’t find it because they don’t tell you they still use wood in all aspects of their builds. Pretty paint but top dollar for a boat with wood is not my idea of money well spent. Prior to buying my Renegade I visited Concept, Velocity, Superboat, Sunsation and Active Thunder. I’d agree that Concept and Renegade are very similar in build and styling. Concept has a larger facility and build more boats. Renegade uses NO wood in construction. All composite like coosa board. Manny Oses, the honcho who runs Renegade is fantastic to work with as is his staff. I found my boat one year used and I’ve been treated just like the original owner. How many companies do you know of where you can call the owners cell and talk to him directly? On a couple occasions I needed some minor rigging hardware and renegade sent me replacements with no charge and when I did need something like hatch struts, they express mailed me and only charged me their cost for the part. The boats are as rock solid as any other made with zero creaks or groans. If you have the wallet they will customize any boat to your likings comparable to almost all other manufacturers. Renegade is a very small family run company and as such they don’t have the overhead costs like other big boys but that’s a positive and reflects in the prices. My suggestion before purchasing any boat is go visit the company and see what they have going. In full disclosure both Concept and Sunsation treated me very well while visiting but once I learned Sunsation still uses wood I walked away. Good luck in the search. Performance center consoles with modern Verado outboards is the only way to go. You won’t be disappointed.
I knew Sunny used wood in their boats prior to mothballing their sport boat line and going all CC but I was told their CC’s were no wood construction. Good info to know.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Concept and Renegade are the only non $400K CC's that use all composites in their builds. Did a ton of research a year or so ago when Wendy and I were considering buying one....
Apexwarrior (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:08 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

I would take twin 450Rs over triple 300-350s every day. Id also take triple 450s over quad 400s. Not necessarily a question you asked, but our experience with adding the extra engine isnt exactly what you may think. With a 28 Skater you pick up 5-10mph. You pick up absolutely blistering acceleration. You also pickup weight, fatigue on the boat, another gearcase to fail, another powerhead to fail, etc. If you're racing these are risks worth taking. It's worth the 5mph. And I know, this is an apples to oranges comparison, but the theory stands. Is that 5-7mph worth it on a center console? If it is, considering keeping your current 90+mph boat.

On that note I think a 36 Concept Step Bottom with twin 450Rs would be a helluva boat.

Last edited by TeamSaris; 12-03-2020 at 05:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TeamSaris:
Apexwarrior (12-04-2020), hogie roll (12-03-2020), Perfect Storm (11-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting info... I have friend considering center consoles and I keep coming back to Renegade in terms of value. Is it true about Sunsation still using wood?
Old 12-03-2020, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 572 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
I would take twin 450Rs over triple 300-350s every day. Id also take triple 450s over quad 400s. Not necessarily a question you asked, but our experience with adding the extra engine isnt exactly what you may think. With a 28 Skater you pick up 5-10mph. You pick up absolutely blistering acceleration. You also pickup weight, fatigue on the boat, another gearcase to fail, another powerhead to fail, etc. If you're racing these are risks worth taking. It's worth the 5mph. And I know, this is an apples to oranges comparison, but the theory stands. Is that 5-7mph worth it on a center console? If it is, considering keeping your current 90+mph boat.

On that note I think a 36 Concept Step Bottom with twin 450Rs would be a helluva boat.
Hard to justify the premium for a 450R. Double the price for a blower.
Bostonirish (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:22 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Hard to justify the premium for a 450R. Double the price for a blower.
Its true, the 400 is the best buy. Same logic though. I would take two over three...
Even then, 2 450s would cost less than 3 400s.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Johnny - Great input!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.