Help, need Rolex for wife for Christmas >

Help, need Rolex for wife for Christmas

Notices

Help, need Rolex for wife for Christmas

Old 11-15-2002, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, I understand your reasoning on not spending that much on a watch. I am just lucky enough to be able to have such a wonderful wife and be able to afford it. Thanks for the help everyone
Old 11-15-2002, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fountain38:

I have 3 Rolex' (2 submariners and Puder's pre-switch stainless Daytona) and bought the wife a gold president. Although she loved it when we bought it, she doesn't wear it all that often. She doesn't like having to keep it moving or reset it after leaving it in her jewelry case for a month. If your wife is a gadget person, she'll love the watch for a long time. If not, plan on seeing it in her jewel box more than on her wrist.

That said, anytime we're going out for the evening I get asked to reset her watch just as we're going out the door.

My advice, since she's a "wonderful wife" and you can afford it, enjoy. The only other thing I have learned is to have the jeweler ship it to you via US Post Office registered mail. If they ship it to you, you need not pay sales tax. This of course is assuming you don't buy it at home.

Tom
Old 11-15-2002, 08:38 AM
Registered

fountain38:
Is your wife's name Dana?
If so, I have met her before. She is very nice.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought one for the future wifey on ebay...brand new all paperwork etc, etc. everything included. Over 50% less than retail. No problems in the purchase at all. Wish I'd done the same when I bought mine. Buttload-o-gas tickets coulda' been had.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Tbonepmp
I COULD STEAL MY SISTER'S...????
Dude, I don't care how much you bench, my money would be on K kick'n your A$$!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Tbonepmp
I COULD STEAL MY SISTER'S...????
HHHhhhmmmm.... HOW MUCH WILL YA GIVE ME FOR IT?
he wants a masterpiece not a datejust. nice try though. BTW that had to be one of ssherman's best "bone head" moves i have ever seen. it ranks right up there with her unused airline ticket. LOL!

getting back on the subject, i also recommend Frum. i have several family members that are repeat customers. great reputation, great service....

jbk
Old 11-15-2002, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I've got a '67 2-tone. Other than the plastic crystal, it is an anvil. Put a new bracelet on it in '86 and the newer bracelet was of better quality than the original (the original's gold links were rolled while the newer one had continuous gold links). Updated the hands to the newer style in '90 when I replaced a crown and put a fresh bezel on it (was welding and managed to scuff the crown so I replaced it).

This watch has been worn through a lot of abusive situations. Ten minutes with some rouge and a polishing wheel and I can make it look like new at the drop of a hat (don't polish on the fluted bezel).

Watch has been to NY for a tuneup in 1988. Runs great (loses a few minutes a month).

Also have a 1994 gold president with tapestry dial. And a 1985 2-tone like my other one (got it for a song at a pawn shop when I was looking for a floor jack).

Wife has a 1996 2-tone and added a diamond bezel two yrs ago.

Have bought 14 Rolexes for employees over the years... Just bought 2 more and haven't picked them up yet.

Also have a Movado and 2 Tag-Heuers (the Tags are also anvils).
Plus a 25yr old Seiko sport100 diver watch that is my "dig in the sand" watch.

** Here's the scoop.
- Pacifictime.com will give you reasonable discouted prices for reference when shopping with your locals.
- Rolex has a strict no-discount policy that it leans on its dealers with: the ALL stainless watches are hard to get deep discounts on. You will be able to negotiate on any watch with gold on it - and even more so if it has stones...
- I have been able to average 20% from retail on stainless watches and closer to 30% on watches with gold and stones.
(no Rolex authorized dealer would discount a penny on ALL-stainless watches unless I bought them in quantities of three or more and used a reseller's tax number - this was their way around the policy - no issue with "onesies" on the gold watches).

My source is just a local jeweler friend who shops some sources for me - so far it has been a couple of different sources. Friend is not an official Rolex jeweler so the suppliers are a little more apt to discount to him since he can't get caught in the policy wars with corporate.

-- If your wife has chosen the exact watch she wants, then your task is easy. Figure out what you want to pay and go get a cashier's check from the bank. Take it to your local Rolex places and physically hand it to the manager if he has the watch in stock - those bastages have a REAL HARD time handing the check back to you...
Old 11-15-2002, 09:57 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

mega byte any interest is selling that stainless daytona??? Abuddy of mien is wait listed from rolex for anew one but i will be anotehr 9-12 months at least and becasue of limited prouction retail on them is RIDICULOUS if youc an even find one!

BGLZ42, I really really really like the vacheron constantine overseas chrono. I hear that is as tough as anything out there. Additionally the audemars piguet royal oak offshore is growing on me too.

As for the price of the watch. Look at it this way. its espensive but its not TOO bad.
http://www.vacheron-constantin.com/h...et_minute.html
That one lists for 500k. At least i thitnk that is eth one. It mightbe the pocket watch repeater/grand complication/ repeater that is for 500k though. If youwask em half amill on a watch is totally insane but each thier own. It certainly is neat.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Registered

from Puder: "mega byte any interest is selling that stainless daytona??? "

Nope. Find your own, dude! I got lucky at the jewelers in Naples where my wife gets her fix. It was delivered that morning, I happened to be there. Full list, no haggle, no wiggle, just a pleasant smile and a brief reference to the waiting list that was as long as the store owners arm. It has since cost me 2 pieces from some designer named Krypell and a re-engagement ring that could pay for some really nice motors. Good luck with your search.

Tom
Old 11-15-2002, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Puder!
Dude, you have great taste in wrist candy!
I'd take the AP or the VC, ASAP!

What, no Patek Nautilus in that list?

Quick Reply: Help, need Rolex for wife for Christmas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.