Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT/ Surround speakers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/36992-ot-surround-speakers.html)

ChrisK 11-16-2002 01:10 AM

The pronto remotes are great, I have one for my system in my house and it can control ANYTHING.

GDFATHA.... What are you looking for? I used to work at sound advice and still have a bunch of friends over there. I can get great deals on alot of their stuff without it having to be "on sale". Let me know if you need anything from there. They love me, I think so far i have spent over $25K in electronics there....:eek:

gdfatha 11-16-2002 08:49 AM

chrisK

I have decided to go into a holding pattern. I'm gonna wait till more TV stations have High definition then I will get a new TV-DVD R-RW-RAM and a new surround sound system at the same time.
I just went the cheepo way for now and got a new Audigy 2 Sound Blaster card for the puter and have everything feeding into and out to my Boston Acustics home theatre.
I have been getting stuff at Sound Advice since their early days in California.
Take care..
Thanks for the feedback
marc

Audiofn 11-16-2002 08:50 AM

Originally posted by rainmn
Anyobdy know of a remote that can do macros that also uses RF and IR? I have a Bose system, and while it's great that the remote works through walls, it sucks that I have to always use that remote in conjunction with others.
The Philips Pronto is RF/IR combo unit that works ok.

As far as speaker placement that is TRIAL and ERROR. Try before you mount the speakers and run the wire. You DO NOT want the speakers way above your head unless you intend to shim them down. For the surrounds ussually aiming just over your head. Anyhow different rooms require different set ups. While you are wireing you should consider that we are already up to 7.1 Dolby this will require 2 pairs of surround. If the speakers are going on the side of the room then some times Dipoles are better then Direct radiating. If you would like any advice on running the wires or getting the set up ok then I am happy to help. (978) 985-0639

Jon

gdfatha 11-16-2002 09:14 AM

Dolby 7.1

Gawd..How fast things change. I just about bought a 6.1 that I thoght was the tops. Now there is a 7.1??

The 6.1 added another center speaker to the rear. What in the world does 7.1 do for yah??
Thanks

marc

Audiofn 11-16-2002 09:38 AM

6.1 was really only a flash in the pan set up. When it came out 7.1 was already known to be coming out. I never sold a 6.1 system as I told my customers that wanted it to hang on for a couple month and waite for the 7.1 stuff. The new processors if you spend a little more will allow you to upgrade as new stuff arrives. The general industry though is that they are at the max allowable number of speakers for a home. So any new technology will be in sound chips, processing and so on. The better recievers will allow you to upgrade the cip sets and mother boards. 7.1 is two back surrounds with two side surrounds and then your three fronts. The two surrounds are "matrixed" together like the old surrounds on Dolby Pro Logic were. It gives a better ability to hide the speaker locations. A properly set up system will not allow you to "locate" the speakers by sound. The music will just seem to float in the middle of the room, this is called imagine and sound stage. If you can say there is a speaker hear or hear or hear then your system is not set up correctly.

gdfatha 11-16-2002 10:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Audio

Whew two more speakers..I would imagine there is going to be a lot of wiring under the rugs.
Thanks again
marc

HyperBaja 11-16-2002 01:21 PM

Im going to a expo today for a new powered sub for my room.

got now-
4 PSB speakers
1 Sony center speaker
27" toshiba (not flat screen or anything fancy but i dont make much $)
500 watt RCA reciever
Bose sub
Apex dvd player, they sell for 90$ now, I would reccomend this dvd player to anyone, it will play anything, thai, jap, american, mp3, vcd, svcd. (not avi)

problem--bose sub is un powered, rca sub out is un powered. gona get a powered sub today :)

Dont go wireless, it sounds like laptop speakers.

Anyone tried pc speakers with a theare sys? I might have to "borrow" my dads computers speakers, they have the cleanest sound....