Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   They caught the guy that killed DanL!!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/37007-they-caught-guy-killed-danl.html)

Rico 11-20-2002 06:58 PM

I AM SICK

Driver charged in fatal hit-run in West Milford
Saturday, November 16, 2002

By ASHANTI M. ALVAREZ
Staff Writer

A Chester man turned himself in to West Milford police Friday morning, saying he left the scene of an accident that killed a township resident.

Frederick Harvey Jr., a 56-year-old retired computer professional, was charged with leaving the scene of a fatal accident on the morning of Nov. 2. Daniel Lanza, 46, was found dead on the side of Clinton Road, near his car and not far from his home. He went out to buy bagels.

Police had circulated thousands of fliers and asked for the public's help in locating a late-model silver Ford F-150 pickup seen leaving the accident. Detective Sgt. Harry Shortway would say only that the truck, belonging to Harvey, struck Lanza and that Harvey left the scene.

Because he had very few external injuries, it was initially believed that Lanza had suffered a heart attack. An autopsy revealed massive internal trauma to the head and torso. Police had said Lanza might have been run over in a road-rage incident, because witnesses reported seeing the men's vehicles passing one another on the narrow road. But on Friday they did not mention road rage in connection with the case.

Shortway said the investigation is continuing. Harvey posted $5,000 bail and was released after submitting an affidavit outlining his version of events. Police would not release the affidavit.

Harvey's attorney, James Maynard of Morristown, also declined to tell Harvey's side of the story, but alleged the victim had been involved in road-rage incidents.

"We are limited from getting into the facts at this stage of the case," Maynard said. "He's a very good person [Harvey] with no criminal history whatsoever, no DWIs, no traffic violations. He's got a clean criminal record, and he is a good and peaceful person."

Maynard met Thursday night with authorities from the Passaic County Prosecutor's Office and arranged for Harvey to turn himself in. Harvey, who is unmarried and has no children, was by himself when he went to the West Milford Police Department.

Maynard said a comparison of the men's driving history would show that Harvey has a clean record and Lanza a string of driving incidents.

"The gentleman who is deceased has a history of road-rage incidents," Maynard said.

Lanza's driving history shows that between 1976 and 1991, his license was suspended seven times, he was involved in four accidents, he received 11 tickets for speeding and other offenses, and he had been warned by the Department of Motor Vehicles as a persistent violator.

However, since 1991, Lanza had maintained a clean driving record and had all his license points removed, according to a DMV spokesman, who also confirmed that Harvey had a clean record.

Maynard declined to say why Harvey left the scene of the Clinton Road accident.

"I have represented people in the past who never even knew that something happened," he said. "It's not always clear exactly what has happened when there's a noise or a bump. I think it will come out in such a way that will show our client did not commit any crime."

A court date for Harvey had not been set as of Friday afternoon.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

eMotiondriver 11-20-2002 07:41 PM

The Last Post stated Friday

It's starts tomorrow with the arraignment.

GO Get'em BECCA ,

good luck Tomorrow

babybro 11-21-2002 07:26 PM

The ******* lawyer and his client did not show up.
they opted not to go to the arraignment.They also did not call us
to let us know not to go to court.So we don't know what the next move is.I will be on the phone with the pros tomorrow I want some answers.

BK 11-21-2002 08:09 PM

:(

thunderdan 11-21-2002 08:10 PM

What the ****, does not even show up for the arraingment???:mad:

thunderdan 11-21-2002 08:11 PM

In my opinion, those are not the actions of an "innocent man" who may not have noticed a bump???WTF

fatdaddy 11-21-2002 09:00 PM

In NJ, a criminal defendant can waive the arraignment w/ the permission of the Court. It is the Prosecutors that should have notified you if they chose that path. The matter is then assigned to a Grand Jury for indictment. After indictment, there are various pre trial conferences, possible motions, etc... Be patient, it is usually a long process and it varies from County to County. The family members should be advised of the status through the Prosecutor's office. Baby Bro, are you related to Tom Lanza? Ric

fatdaddy 11-21-2002 10:15 PM

Are you telling me that this arraignment was at the Municipal Court?

babybro 11-22-2002 08:56 AM

Yes, fatdaddy tom lanza is my brother.